Older games, Steam, and 8.1?

Having some issues with some older games I installed, (they won't play), and don't want to waste any more $ on "collection packs", if only a portion of the games will play.
I downloaded the Ghost Recon complete package, and have only been able to get the GRAW games to play. GR, Desert Siege and Island Thunder are no good.
The older games will start to load. opening cut scenes, then the window closes, and an error message appears stating Windows can't get the game to play?

So, before I drop $100 on the Half Life franchise, or $xx on FC/ Rainbow 6, etc.
I'd like to know if It's a waste of time.

Thanks
I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2015
    I have Steam and all of the Half-life games and they all play on my win 7.1 but have not tried them on win 8.1.
    I cant see them not playing on it but who knows. I dont have those other games to try on steam but have about 20 total and they all work with win 7.1

recommend getting halfe-life 2 demo ..its free and see if it works 1st before buying
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    10-4. I'll look for a HL2 demo.
    Thanks
  • what windows r u using ?
  • never mind, if I read the title then I prob would ask a smarter question.
  • did u try to run the games on a older windows in windows compatibility mode ?
  • It's an older thread, but for whatever it's worth...I'm using a Windows 8.1 laptop and the whole Half Life collection (through Steam) works fine for me. I've had issues with other games though. No matter what I've tried, I cannot get Sims 2 to work. Other people have gotten it working with 8.1 just fine, but I can't. I've had issues with several older games as well. I downloaded the GTA Collection through Steam, and parts of Vice City haven't worked well.

I'm ready for Windows 10 to come out. Hopefully it's better. I liked 8.1 at first, but as I've spent more time with it I've come to like it less and less.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Is your win 8.1 32 or 64 bit, I know a lot of the older were written for 32 bit and opengl have had problems running on 64 bit O.S. Just saying
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    gimpod wrote: »
    Is your win 8.1 32 or 64 bit, I know a lot of the older were written for 32 bit and opengl have had problems running on 64 bit O.S. Just saying

It's 64 bit, which may be the problem. The games I'm trying to play are the original GR, which came out in 2000 maybe?