MONITOR 5A

Options
A beautiful pair of Monitor 5a's with Peerless tweeters. Cabinets are in like new condition. The crossovers have been rebuilt with Sonicaps on the high pass and Dayton on the low pass and Mills resistors. Hurricane nuts have been installed and Dynamat has been applied to the drivers. Driver magnets have been Locktited. New binding posts. Cosmetically the only minor issue is that the black paint on the face of the Peerless tweeters is not as perfect as when they were new. I have the original boxes. Would prefer local pick up and would be willing to drive an hour or two to meet for the sale. I can ship them but it will probably run around $100. Asking $200.ud7qiz7a6fm3.jpg
exyc7ple0rlz.jpg
ztejn2smwg7x.jpg
7zl88yae55t9.jpg
kpteiu3ywpio.jpg

The passive looks discolored in the photo but it is not. Just the way the light is hitting it.

Comments

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
    Did I miss location?
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    about 50 miles south of Chicago. Unfortunately :/
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    You could try and touch up the paint on the peerless but black paint is almost impossible to find I hear... Good luck with the sale, they look like great speakers.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • Faustin
    Options
    Black paint......................By cracky I think you are on to something. :D You are right, it is an easy fix.
  • Faustin
    Options
    Weekend bump. These are in beautiful condition.
  • Faustin
    Options
    Weekend bump. I will split the shipping. These are in beautiful condition.
  • Faustin
    Options
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    OK, I didn't see that you'd sunk money into the crossovers etc. That, now makes sense in your pricing.

These are a great entry point into the classic Polk Monitor Peerless sound!

I run a set with a vintage JVC amp and they're great for a small to mid-sized room. And probably a lot CLEANER with rebuilt crossovers as mine lack a little detail in the higher ranges!

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Faustin
    Options
    Yes cnh.....these are ready to go. They are in amazing shape as well. I am open to offers. I just want them to go to a good home, as I really don't use them or have a place for them at this time.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,168
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Those are beautiful. Monitor 5As were my first Polk speaker and first audiophile-grade speakers, back when I was in high school in the '80s. They are great sounding speakers, especially with the Peerless tweeters. These are in great condition and, with all of the upgrades faustin did to them, are a very good deal.

I hope someone snags these soon. I wish I still had mine. I'd be interested in these but distance and shipping preclude that.

GLWTS
  • Faustin
    Options
    Weekend bump. $175 and will split shipping
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    Nice -- I think it's a little too far from NH to IL to make sense for me, though ;- )

This looks like a fine opportunity for some midwesterner!
  • WastelandWand'r
    Options
    Indeed, a beautiful set.
    Wish I was in the area.
    Nathan
    Home Rig

SDA 2.3TL's front and center
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Back in the mix.
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 4, 5, 7, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, RTA 15TL's all in storage waiting for me.
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    What a great looking pair of Monitor 5A's. Easily worth the price you're asking, I can't believe no one has grabbed these off of you. Those cabinets are perfect!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.