Cart recommendations for Kenwood KD-550

So being that I am going upgrade crazy, I am looking to do the same to my Kenwood KD-550. I already replaced the platter mat with a Herbie's Way Excellent 2 in 4mm http://herbiesaudiolab.net/ttmat.htm
Added an Audio Technica "platter stabilizer".
The arm is the stock arm. Stock headshell as well.

Recommended carts are "medium compliance" options.

So what say you?

Budget isn't too limited but I don't want to invest a ton of money in the KD-550...it's a solid direct drive TT but it is also almost as old as I am so when things start to go downhill, I will be looking to replace it with something more modern.
"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Not to sound like a broken record :- ) but... Grado. Grado. Grado. Grado...

Pick your price point.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I have heard that Grados tend to have issues with the stock tonearm on the KD-550. I am a fan of several Grados but those were on "modern" tables with straight arms.

I might see if I can convince my buddy to loan me one or 6 to try out hehe.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    Talked to my buddy on the way into work this morning...he is going to let me demo a brand new ClearAudio Concept MM v2. If I like it, I buy it, if not, they swap out the original Concept MM on their demo Concept TT...so no harm, no foul.

And of course I can't find my effin' tracking force scale.

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2015
    Yeah... the Grados can misbehave in poorly matched arms -- the "Grado dance" is, unfortunately, well documented. I've been pretty cavalier at using (cheaper) Grados in, e.g., the moderately massive old S-shaped, chrome-plated Japanese arms with good success, though (FWIW).

I have one datapoint on CA cartridges -- the CA Virtuoso Ebony that came with my TT-15S1. Suffice it to say, I was seriously unimpressed (especially given the purported list price of that cartridge at 800 smackers).

The fact that youre looking at a different model and a v2 is cause for optimism, though. Let us know what you think when and if you hear one.
  • ZLTFUL
    edited February 2015
    Yeah...my buddy's shop is very selective on the ClearAudio carts they carry even though, technically they could carry them all.
    They only stock the Concepts (MM v2 and MC) and the Talismann v2 Gold. The rest, they will get for you if you insist but they will try and persuade you into one of the three they do stock.

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Yeah, let us know what you end up with and how you like it. I also have the CA Virtuoso Ebony that came with my TT-15S1 and am looking into getting a MC to try.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited February 2015
    @ZLTFUL What's your opinion on a mint KD 770D with Ortofon 2M Red For $550
    Pass, Fair or Grab it now ?
  • ZLTFUL
    Considering I paid $75 for my KD-550, $550 seems high for the 770D. And the Ortofon 2M Red is only $100 new from Music Direct.
    I don't know if I could sell myself on even a brand new in the box condition 770D at that price.

• pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    chumlie wrote: »
    What's your opinion on a mint KD 770D with Ortofon 2M Red For $550
    Pass, Fair or Grab it now ?

Chumlie I have a KD-770D that I bought some years ago. I paid $75 with a junk cartridge on it. I've seen a few for sale and all were $300 or more.

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • ZLTFUL
    Got it home and waiting patiently for my new force gauge to show up since I can't seem to find the one I already had.

Other than that, this past weekend was singularly completely unproductive.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I would have let you borrow my force gauge, just cost what it would be to ship it back...I'd cover the shipping to you!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ZLTFUL
    I appreciate it but I like having one handy. I am no expert but it seems like once every couples of months, I have a friend calling me to align/set the force on their cartridges.
    Now I just need to put it somewhere that I won't lose it hehe.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Me too, just one of those accessories you don't use much but nice to have around when you do need it, Buddy of mine at work is looking at a project Xperience classic in Olive wood with a blue point mc used, I told him to buy it no matter what and if he doesn't want it afterwards I'll take it.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ZLTFUL
    Love that TT but prefer it in Mahogany (just my choice as the Olive is gorgeous too)

• keck
    keck Posts: 36
    Hi all, I am looking for a upgrade on my TT. I saw KD550 selling for $500 and KD770D also selling around $500. Both in very good working condition. Which one should i go for it? Is it worth the upgrade or should i just wait for a better deal?
    I am currently using Pioneer PL610 with ATF3 cartridge and i think it sound very good.

Need advices from the gurus. Thank you
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Nagaoka MP-500. You can thank me later!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2018
    Shure V15 Type IV

With an actual JICO replacement stylus from Japan (not eBay). Shipping is pricey but you get the real deal mated to/for your cart or you could spend a little le$$ and get a replacement stylus from Ed Saunders.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Dawgfish
    keck wrote: »
    Hi all, I am looking for a upgrade on my TT. I saw KD550 selling for $500 and KD770D also selling around $500. Both in very good working condition. Which one should i go for it? Is it worth the upgrade or should i just wait for a better deal?
    I am currently using Pioneer PL610 with ATF3 cartridge and i think it sound very good.

Provided everything is working in perfect condition, prices being equal, would go with the KD-770D. It's a great turntable performance wise. Only problem is if something goes out on the 770 it may be very difficult to impossible to find replacement parts for it. If it is in great shape and better yet has had some maintenance done to it, it could make an excellent turntable for some time.

The 550 is a classic and is highly regarded also. It is affectionately known as "the rock" due to it's limestone composite plinth consruction. Another great thing is you can change the armboards on those alowing upgrading the tonearm for higher performance if you wish. The 550 would be easier to resell also. Damn! Maybe I should go with the 550! Lol!

Honestly both are great so my recommendation would be if the 770 is in great shape and you are looking for something you can set up initially and then just not have to worry about tweaking for a long while afterward, go with it. If you like to tweek things or think you may want to perform upgrades later on, or you like to try than flip, go with the 550.
  • keck
    keck Posts: 36
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    keck wrote: »

Provided everything is working in perfect condition, prices being equal, would go with the KD-770D. It's a great turntable performance wise. Only problem is if something goes out on the 770 it may be very difficult to impossible to find replacement parts for it. If it is in great shape and better yet has had some maintenance done to it, it could make an excellent turntable for some time.

The 550 is a classic and is highly regarded also. It is affectionately known as "the rock" due to it's limestone composite plinth consruction. Another great thing is you can change the armboards on those alowing upgrading the tonearm for higher performance if you wish. The 550 would be easier to resell also. Damn! Maybe I should go with the 550! Lol!

Honestly both are great so my recommendation would be if the 770 is in great shape and you are looking for something you can set up initially and then just not have to worry about tweaking for a long while afterward, go with it. If you like to tweek things or think you may want to perform upgrades later on, or you like to try than flip, go with the 550.

Thanks Dawnfish for the advice. I like to tweek things or may want to perform upgrades later on, so probably will go for the KD550. Also i came across KD600 (no tonearm assy) selling the same price $500. Is the KD600 have much differet from KD550? So giving the same price, should i go for the KD550 with stock tonearm or the KD600 without tonearm?
  • Dawgfish
    I think the KD600/650 had a different speed control system and motor that was supposed to be superior to that on the KD500/550, but other than that, they are very similar. It's hard to say which one to go with right away. If you were going to upgrade the tonearm right of the bat ( a Jelco 750 D would be magic in either table), you would probably be better off going with the 600. You'll have a superior setup with the 600 in the end with a good tonearm. If you wanted to have one to listen to for a while than change tonearm, go with the 550. Either way you'll have one heck of a good turntable.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    tonnes :) of info from VE @ https://www.vinylengine.com/library/kenwood.shtml

e.g., the sales literature for both :|

hpg9i55kfumm.png
    nlcdrfwvsfoa.png

FWIW, I've never seen/heard a KD-600/650; the KD-500/550 were nice study DD turntables that were, and are, held in some repute by folks in the know. They're (still) a little bit under the radar compared to the big(ger) names, too -- believe it or not.

w121qkz9jco2.png