uh oh

Options
The vinyl bug has got me. Been seeing a lot of recent threads on vinyl, and remember the couple of times I have been fortunate enough to hear it. While I don't remember what I heard it on, or even what I listened to, I remember it sounding great to me. I've been looking at pro ject, and I really like the look of the carbon debut DC, and think I may get it for myself for my birthday next month. If I get into vinyl, what else do I need to get with a TT, other than a phono IC(and obviously LPs)? Do you guys recommend the cork or acrylic plate upgrade for it?
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA

Comments

• seabeerob213
    Options
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    Don't do it! :o

That's what all my instincts tell me, but then, they tell me, VINYL! Just seems easier to find and get into than high quality CDs or sacds, and sounds better. Not saying those sound bad at all,
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    I can't speak for everybody, but there is a lot of great vintage equipment out there. A lot of it exceeds what is available today, not only sonically, but build quality as well. This polk website has good info, but you might want to check out vinylengine.com. There are some true vinyl experts there and they have databases and libraries that will give you free downloadable manuals, specs and reviews on vinyl equipment components.

I would recommend you just do your homework. Obviously a nice quiet turntable with stable speed, a good phono stage, either purchased separately or built in to a good vintage amp, or receiver and a killer cartridge are the main components. I pretty much run nothng but vinyl in my rigs and I have been doing it for forty plus years, but I have just "scratched" the surface (poor pun). I run the older stuff and I am quite pleased with it. There is no going back once the vinyl bug bites.....you have been warned.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options

That's what all my instincts tell me, but then, they tell me, VINYL! Just seems easier to find and get into than high quality CDs or sacds, and sounds better. Not saying those sound bad at all,

As I was told when I got back into vinyl, once you start to obsess... and you WILL obsess... there is no going back. Vinyl is getting harder to come by reasonably honestly, lots of folks getting the bug.

I run two vintage tables, but I'm debating a modern table replacement for one of them right now myself. There is a good value in vintage if you don't mind fiddling a bit.

The thing about vinyl is if you really want to get the most out of it - the vinyl and deck are only a start. Tables, cartridges to match your rig, phono stage, a quality RCM - etc etc. It's a whole separate (and deep) rabbit hole unto itself.

That being said, I'm not sorry I got back into it, nothing sounds like vinyl!

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• seabeerob213
    Options
    I have no doubt, but the refurbing vintage gear is a lot more time and money than I can invest, been reading reviews and threads here, and elsewhere, and the project carbon seems to be a pretty solid entry choice. I know it will drag me down a new rabbit hole, and that a lot of patience and shopping around may prove to be more beneficial than getting a new one. But with my complete lack of vinyl experience, I think something all new, with a warranty and less to go wrong.
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »

As I was told when I got back into vinyl, once you start to obsess... and you WILL obsess... there is no going back. Vinyl is getting harder to come by reasonably honestly, lots of folks getting the bug.

I run two vintage tables, but I'm debating a modern table replacement for one of them right now myself. There is a good value in vintage if you don't mind fiddling a bit.

The thing about vinyl is if you really want to get the most out of it - the vinyl and deck are only a start. Tables, cartridges to match your rig, phono stage, a quality RCM - etc etc. It's a whole separate (and deep) rabbit hole unto itself.

That being said, I'm not sorry I got back into it, nothing sounds like vinyl!

Is this something I can get into without buying all those separately yo start? The pro ject comes with a cartridge, but will it play without a stage or RCM? looking to get a start, not looking to dive in yet, just get my feet wet.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,446
    Options
    I was seduced by Vinyl sometime last summer. That gold digging... nevermind.

It was definitely chill and relaxing, and made for a nice musical atmosphere. I really enjoyed this aspect, but in the end I made myself return the tt, because, talk about rabbit holes? Switching to vinyl is a HUGE one!

Here's what I discovered:
    1. It was noisy - you might (will?) need a good record cleaning system, especially if you're buying used records
    2. I found it tremendously inconvenient compared to my usual streaming method of music access
    3. It was expensive for the albums I was looking for, and
    4. I don't like waiting for records to arrive
    5. I don't like having to flip them over
    6. I didn't like not being able to run playlists.

I know you didn't ask, so, not trying to discourage you, maybe just help you to sidestep a potential pitfall, so if I may offer these tips - since it's super easy to get completely sucked in, as you're probably finding

1. Buy a tt from a place you can return it within 30 days - like Amazon, yes - and keep all the boxes and packing materials
    2. Buy just a few of your favorite albums just to see how you like it first. I had only 5 or 6, and those cost me about $350
    (and then, you might become a vinyl snob real quick, and find that you want everything on double LP and/or 180g.)

I really enjoyed it while I dabbled, but the bottom line was that it just wasn't a good fit after what I'd grown accustomed to. Also, maybe if I didn't need to rebuy a lot of my music on vinyl it would have had more of a place in my system? It was going to be too expensive.
    I disabled signatures.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Sorry - I've been misleading.

The RCM is a Record Cleaning Machine, so yes, you don't need that absolutely, but it will make one of the biggest impacts in enjoying your vinyl if you decide it's for you.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you need a stage for Pro-Ject tables, you can get that pretty inexpensively (I think John is selling a good Pro-Ject box in the flea market very reasonably in fact) but your preamp or receiver may already have a phono stage. Check that out as it's the cheapest solution for getting your feet wet.

You could also just get an inexpensive Audio Technica table (I think AT60) which includes the phono stage and will get your feet wet before you decide if you really want to go whole hog. The only problem with that is you'll definitely want to upgrade if the bug bites you.

I hope I'm helping and not making things worse!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• seabeerob213
    Options
    I have found a little of that so far, I'm sure I'll find a lot more of it if I pursue this.
  • pongshi
    Options
    Today's music is fastfood and instant gratification. You get exactly what you want, when you want it, and where you want it in a digital convenient format. Vinyl is a hands on experience. You become personally involved. You have to clean a record and stylus, you can't take it anywhere you want, you can't always do everything instantly, and sometimes what you want may not be available, but........

Vinyl offers you artwork to enjoy, often lyrics are available in the sleeves. You find out who the artists were, where the record was produced, and plenty of other stuff. It is a deeper musical experience. It is a better shared experience in that you invite people over to share a record or you lend a record to someone. Even the lending of a record is hands on and personable. It's not just a digital download or emailing a file. For pre 80s music, you are getting the music in its original analog format. I could go on and on, but it's more than just the music by itself.
    Living Room
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There are people that would argue that CD's have better dynamic range and
    of course there is HDtracks. If you already have a bunch of CDs I would suggest
    a good DAC. You'll get more detailed information than you ever knew was there.

I'm on my third LP collection after a friend gave me his old TT and I dug out my wife's
    old LP's. I had already become nostalgic for old SS receivers. I'm over 900 LPs in about three years. The new vinyl is for the most part great if not pricey.

I'm sure you have thought about care and feeding of vinyl as well. Good hunting!

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love the feel/sound of Vinyl. Take it in baby steps & you will enjoy it. You can buy records for great prices too. .99 to under 20.00/50.00 new. I limit my new ones to once/every other month because of prices. I bought a brand new Halestorm awhile back on discount for 16.99. Look for discounts. Look on Clist for people selling their whole collection. I bought 400 minty albums for 15.00 because they were moving. Kept 100 & sold off 300 & made someone else happy. Dont bury yourself too deep buying expensive ones. I go to record stores & sometimes spend 2 hours & walk out buying 4-12 albums for 4.99-8.99 per album... Buy a cheap record cleaning machine on the bay. Utube & ask how to do things & most of all enjoy the fun of vinyl. Buying a decent turntable in begining is a Big Plus. Not someones used one that can die tomorrow (i own used ones-no disrespect all). But if your not good with turntables New is the way to go. Then later on upgrade to far better ones up the chain. Enjoy
    Randy/Maine
  • pongshi
    Options
    I will add one more thing and then shut up for a bit. You can buy a record cleaning machine, but I think you can get pretty good results with the following:
    1. Microfiber cloths
    2. Spray bottle (I use a 32oz.)
    3. Isopropyl alcohol (I use 90% or better)
    4. Distilled water
    5. Dawn dishwashing liquid
    6. I run 3/4 distilled water and 1/4 alcohol with one drop of Dawn in the 32 oz. spray bottle
    Living Room
    Parasound P5 preamp
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Agree 100% with Boston.
    OTOH, a new belt off ebay and some of Mom's sewing machine
    oil and I was good to go. Got the specs off vinylengine and re-balance
    the ole Rotel and I was in business.

If I buy used vinyl it is .99 to 5 bucks. This stuff is 40-50 years old.
    I'm never disappointed that way. It would have to be something
    special for > $5.00. New is cool on record store day as releases of
    rare stuff happen. (you have crossed over to collector then)

have fun!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-2M-Blue-Phono-Cartridge

IF your going to get that table get from these guys and have them upgrade the ortofon to the 2m blue if your going to get your feet wet might as well get the better cartridge, I'm sure they ship to APO addresses.

You will need a cleaning system for your LPs a anti static gun, stylus brush and cleaner all what can be purchased at the needle doctor. A young man such as yourself will have a real nice vinyl set up going this route go for it.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    Is it a big increase to upgrade? Also, will be back in the states soon enough.
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I was seduced by Vinyl sometime last summer. That gold digging... nevermind.

It was definitely chill and relaxing, and made for a nice musical atmosphere. I really enjoyed this aspect, but in the end I made myself return the tt, because, talk about rabbit holes? Switching to vinyl is a HUGE one!

Here's what I discovered:

1. Buy a tt from a place you can return it within 30 days - like Amazon, yes - and keep all the boxes and packing materials
    2. Buy just a few of your favorite albums just to see how you like it first. I had only 5 or 6, and those cost me about $350
    (and then, you might become a vinyl snob real quick, and find that you want everything on double LP and/or 180g.)

5 or 6 albums for $350? Where you buying them at pretty pricey indeed

I can go to the record store down the road here and get 35-40 in mint condition, for $350, the best part is I can spend hours going through the bins looking at all that vinyl goodness.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• seabeerob213
    Options
    Yeah, just amazoned some of my favorites, some were great prices, some were upwards of 500.00, and there were a lot of singles on there. I love how dropkick Murphys have all their albums available in a couple different vinyls as well as cdand digital download, and it looks like all rthe vinyl can be had under two bones, but I think to get the better ones, you need to buy seperatw and not the box set. Red hot chili peppers vinyl has never been hard for me to find d used, so shouldn't be a problem there.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I agree with a couple mods:
    I use 7th generation free and clear dishwashing liquid (about 2-3 drops per 10oz.)
    80-20 alcohol to distilled water.
    I have a wash and a rinse bottle.
    3 or 4 brushes (buy the old felt off ebay if you can)
    discwasher d4+ for spot treatment
    I've tried a kinetronics model 70 anti-static brush w some success but
    I'm alway afraid I'm going to add scratches. YMMY.
    I love the mofi original master sleeves and
    I've tried their 'One' cleaning solution. I was hoping for a grade step-up
    after a cleaning and playing thru once but it was more like 1/2 a grade.
    (fair to good, good to vg ect.)

If you are buying new vinyl you don't have to worry about most of this.
    pongshi wrote: »
    I will add one more thing and then shut up for a bit. You can buy a record cleaning machine, but I think you can get pretty good results with the following:
    1. Microfiber cloths
    2. Spray bottle (I use a 32oz.)
    3. Isopropyl alcohol (I use 90% or better)
    4. Distilled water
    5. Dawn dishwashing liquid
    6. I run 3/4 distilled water and 1/4 alcohol with one drop of Dawn in the 32 oz. spray bottle

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No need to get obsessive about playing records.

There's some decent and reasonably affordable modern hardware (if a bit stark); conversely, there are still fine old pieces that are cost effective. Even at this late date, you simply cannot go wrong with a well-kept mid-late 1970s Technics direct drive consumer turntable. I really didn't appreciate them back in their time (I was a Euro-tt snob, big time) but the Technics DDs were - and are - the Toyota Camry (or Honda Accord, if you prefer) of turntables. Unexciting but competent and dependable. Still are.

10022576516_78850a7425_b.jpgwhite vinyl by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Heck, the most-used tt at my house is a Technics DD I picked up from the "take it or leave it" pile at our erstwhile town dump in Harvard, MA. A Marantz (Clearaudio) TT-15S1 sits in its factory box... it certainly looks more impressive (and it was a heck of a lot 'spensiver), but it doesn't perform any better; and the CA Satisfy arm isn't really heavy enough for the low-compliance LOMC I am currently most enamored with.

12877794893_74ddf705f7_b.jpgTT15S12 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Records are still reasonably readily and cost-effectively available used, and we've seen an upswing in available new records (although quality is somewhat variable).

In terms of cleaning records -- for clean records,a good brush is really all that's "needed". For cruddy records, it's OK to use a brute force cleaning method. I have and use a set of the "Disc Doctor" brushes (these are now either sold as MoFi brushes or maybe under Acoustic Sounds or some the retailer's brand -- I can't remember now). Yes, an RCM is nice -- but they're very expensive; a starter record playing system doesn't "demand" the ownership of one.

Just my opinions, of course -- albeit hardly humble ones.

13999734544_a54ab9d1c0_b.jpgspinnin2 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    Is it a big increase to upgrade? Also, will be back in the states soon enough.

A little over a hundred bones do it right the first time if you can swing the 2m blue it is the one above the 2m red.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited February 2015
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    No need to get obsessive about playing records.

There's some decent and reasonably affordable modern hardware (if a bit stark); conversely, there are still fine old pieces that are cost effective. Even at this late date, you simply cannot go wrong with a well-kept mid-late 1970s Technics direct drive consumer turntable. I really didn't appreciate them back in their time (I was a Euro-tt snob, big time) but the Technics DDs were - and are - the Toyota Camry (or Honda Accord, if you prefer) of turntables. Unexciting but competent and dependable. Still are.

Heck, the most-used tt at my house is a Technics DD I picked up from the "take it or leave it" pile at our erstwhile town dump in Harvard, MA. A Marantz (Clearaudio) TT-15S1 sits in its factory box... it certainly looks more impressive (and it was a heck of a lot 'spensiver), but it doesn't perform any better; and the CA Satisfy arm isn't really heavy enough for the low-compliance LOMC I am currently most enamored with.

Records are still reasonably readily and cost-effectively available used, and we've seen an upswing in available new records (although quality is somewhat variable).

In terms of cleaning records -- for clean records,a good brush is really all that's "needed". For cruddy records, it's OK to use a brute force cleaning method. I have and use a set of the "Disc Doctor" brushes (these are now either sold as MoFi brushes or maybe under Acoustic Sounds or some the retailer's brand -- I can't remember now). Yes, an RCM is nice -- but they're very expensive; a starter record playing system doesn't "demand" the ownership of one.

Just my opinions, of course -- albeit hardly humble ones.

Albeit, mhardly humble? Lol, I have no perobelwm buying used gear, but this is somewhere where I wanna get decent quality returnable/warrantied gear, with all new components, because I don't wanna run into problems of rwaking something while replacing something else, because I've never used a TT before. Plus I like the simple look of those pro jects, but aesthetics is a lesser reason to make a choice.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I would say if you value your wallet, forget you ever heard vinyl to begin with.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I would say if you value your wallet, forget you ever heard vinyl to begin with.
    You may need to to come knock me over the head, because for some reason I want it too much, lol
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Now Now Tony don't go discouraging the young lad, I think we have all opened are wallets a time or to due to some of your recommendations :D
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    LOL....I hear ya bro. Just want the young man to know what he's getting into. Seems some are covering those bases anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    You may want to hold off till you get back home. Transporting all that gear and records too, is gonna be a pain.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited February 2015
    Options
    oh, two things I forgot...

1) There are two tricks to buying used. First trick, make sure the tt hasn't been abused. Generally that'll be "cosmetically" obvious; but at the least, be sure to check the arm and its mount for any obvious damage and check the bearings (as best you can) for play. These are the sort of things that can render an old deck just a paperweight :- (

The second trick: buy local!!! As a working assumption, no one knows how to successfully pack a turntable to survive 21st Century shipping! :-P Of course, all generalizations are false, including this one ;- ) But, by and large, the eBAY crowd has no clue as to how to pack a tt properly; the safest and easiest course of action is just to avoid the issue altogether and buy locally.

2) If you want to go crazy... heh... then go crazy :- )

12122837923_ba665966e5_b.jpgDSC_5243 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Not mine (probably goes without saying) -- but what it is is a beautiful Garrard 301 with (I think) a Thomas Shick arm and an electromagnet cartridge. Nice piece of hardware; sounds great, too.
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Chum, I'll be headed home sometime very soon, will be home when I do finally decide to make this venture.