What are you reading?

Options
There are watching, listening, playing threads here, but none for reading, let's get the ball rolling. Currently reading, Sun Tzu's "Art of War", and have a biography of Nikola Tesla chalked up to read next, and great expectations to follow. Recently finished reading "Scar Tissue", Anthony Keidis' biography/autobiography. Also recently finished reading chapter 700 of Naruto Shippuden, the final installment in this series.

Read anything good lately?
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I used to read for pleasure all the time. Now, I mostly read audio forums, and technical, work related books. For pleasure, I am currently reading "A Feast for Crows', book 4 in The Games of Thrones series. However, I have been at it for a year.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    Options
    Yeah, forums, movies, anime, and work take me away from the books, even though some are on my tablet and I read at work, I usually read rating( navy equivalent to MOS, or my specific job) manuals and complete the study sections, because even with my general knowledge of my job being superior to my immediate peers, and some specifics exceeding that of almost all of them, I need to brush up in some places, and the more I know, the more valuable to them I become. I'm currently on chapter four of 14 in my basic manual, about 400-500 questions through the study guide.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    The Lost Fleet * by Jack Campbell

written by a retired Navy officer... one of the better Military Science fiction books out there about Fleet operations and a must read! The battle tactics and strategy used in this book are top notch to me at least.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    I mainly like to read about the Civil War (our family actually was on both sides). Right now it's "Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era" by McPherson. The book is good and starkly points out many of the monetary networks that changed over a short period of time, also the detailed politics of it all. Sometimes very dry reading, especially in the beginning, and also a bit one-sided the majority of the time but a good book non-the less.

Other than that any type of war that the United States was involved with. As long as they are based with fact. I absolutely hate semi-fictional crap...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • BlueFox
    Options
    voltz wrote: »

written by a retired Navy officer... one of the better Military Science fiction books out there about Fleet operations and a must read! The battle tactics and strategy used in this book are top notch to me at least.

I love SciFi, so I looked it up on Amazon. Turns out it is not a single book, but a series. So, I ordered the first two books.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    Options
    I am rereading "Rendezvous With Rama" by Arthur c. Clarke after 20 years time...........
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    Options
    Vince Flynn's "The Third Option", for prolly the 3rd time.
    This guy was a top-shelf spy/ thriller writer.
    If anyone is interested in reading his series of Mitch Rapp novels, it's recommended you read them in the characters chronological development, NOT the published order.
    Towards the end of his writing, he went back and created a genesis for his Mitch Rapp character.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Sunday paper on the throne...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Rabbit at Rest by John Updike.
  • voltz
    Options
    Hey Blue
    I forgot to mention it was a series, and each book is a cliff hanger so it is really 1 book divided into 6 parts. I'm on #5 right now. If you read a lot then a Kindle or other device is a must.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    So, Anyway by John Cleese. If you're a Cleese/Python fan, this is a must read.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Clapton's autobiography. Good read and very interesting. Seems like everybody in music knew each other back in the 60s and early 70s.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    Just reread "Custer and Crazy Horse" by Stephen Ambrose and now looking for a good biography to read. Don't know what it will be yet.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Just finished the "girl with the dragon tattoo" series and started Tom Clancy's - Op Center: Out of the Ashes.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • BlueFox
    Options

I have bought all the paperbacks in this series, will get the hardback when it is released in May, and am currently on book 6. I haven't read this many books in such a short period in decades.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited April 2015
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

I love SciFi, so I looked it up on Amazon. Turns out it is not a single book, but a series. So, I ordered the first two books.

Nice! Another Sci-fi fan here - gonna check this one out - thanks Blue & Voltz!

@ken brydson ewww...

Currently reading "The Martian" - Andy Weir - light reading, but an interesting premise anyway.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• voltz
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your welcome! :)

I have the books on my Kindle so the Audio books are just $2.99 or $3.99 etc... I took them to work and 3 of the guys I work with listen to all 6 books and got them hooked on audio books while you work. they finished the series long ago I still on #6 - > read about 3 chapters and stopped for awhile - have to go and finish it now LOL

but the audio books for the lost fleet or excellent - with a kindle you can read and listen at same time, it turns the page as it goes along.