Over the ears portable headphones

Options
cfrizz
cfrizz Posts: 13,415
I am looking for an over the ear headphones that I can use during my commute to and from work.

The biggest problem I have with headphones are most are too big and don't fit well over my ears.

I have fallen in love with Polk's noise cancellation HPs but they are in the ear, I would prefer either behind the ear NC headphones which don't seem to exist, so that leaves over the ear NC headphones or closed headphones that do a decent job of NC.

So keeping in mind that I have a fairly small head, and need a good fit with NC properties, which will be used for commuting so must be fairly durable to stand up to being tossed into my backpack please make recommendations. I am willing to spend up to $200.00.

Thanks.
Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2

Comments

• seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    Options
    Polk UF 8000?
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • cfrizz
    Options
    Tried them at PF, too big, loose and too heavy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited February 2015
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-Black-Headphone/dp/B00AZZNXOK/ref=sr_1_9?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1422763573&sr=1-9&keywords=sennheiser+headphones

Maybe? They're closed back, light weight, come with a carrying case (instead of just throwing $200 headphones into your backpack), and have a microphone/remote inline with the cable. If you hate them, Amazon is pretty good about refunds.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • cfrizz
    Options
    Hmmm, these might be an option, and seemed to be well liked around here. Have any of you that own them used them during commutes or on planes? How well to they block external noise?
  • cfrizz
    Options
    I just ordered the Momentums from Amazon, I'll let you know how I like them and how they fit for me.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Cathy - sounds like you've already ordered from Amazon, but it looks like Best Buy might have these quite a bit cheaper - $145 for many colors (pink, blue, brown, green). Or if you're ok with their "marketplace" sellers (I have no idea how that works), I think they have many colors (ivory, black, brown, blue) for $129...
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Cathy - nevermind... those at Best Buy at those prices are "ON-Ear". I never caught on that the Momentums came in on-ear AND Over the ear.

That Amazon price is nice for the over the ear version!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I just ordered the Momentums from Amazon, I'll let you know how I like them and how they fit for me.

Way to go Cathy your gonna love em decent sale price, let us know how you like them.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • cfrizz
    Options
    Will do, I should be getting them tomorrow. I wish I got them today to check out since I'm home.

Not able to get into work this morning since there were too many problems with the red line train, and at 7 degrees w WC of -14 it was too cold to stand around waiting for buses!
  • cfrizz
    Options
    I got them, and listening even while we speak. This is the first headphone I've had that fits me well. It's snug without being painful, as of yet there is no pain from the arms of my glasses.

They look understated & classy. Most important they sound great! They are very balanced, and neutral. I can use the control to pause the music on my Samsung Note 2 which is a bonus!

Thanks for the recommendation fellas!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    I had a feeling you would be happy with them enjoy.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    Momentums are awesome.

I know its too late b/c you jut got a set, but I was going to say the B&W P5s are wireless now (bluetooth).
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • cfrizz
    Options
    I actually bought a set of Sony on the ears because they are a little smaller and have active noise cancellation. I figured I would use them for traveling, But they are no match for the wind when walking. The Momentums trump them big time.

Of course now that I have them, they have updated them with active NC and a connector the works with other brands beside Apple. But I'm not going to spend over 400.00 for a new one.