Why no sound when TV and soundbar are turned on?

I have a Polk Surroundbar 6000 hooked to the Insignia TV. I also have DirecTV. The wire from the soundbar is plugged into Source 1. It runs to the TV and plugged into the Digital Output. The TV sound is turned off. I turn on the TV and DirecTV by using the remote for the DirecTV control. I turn on the Polk soundbar using the small control provided. Only once in a while will the sound come on instantly thru the soundbar. Most of the time I have to go into the settings using the DirecTV control, then to Audio, then to Dolby Digital and turn Dolby Digital both off and on again to make the sound come thru the soundbar. Any ideas why that is happening and how to correct it? Also, is there any way to sync the Polk control into the DirecTV control? Many thanks.

Answers

• Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. As a test next time you're going to play your system, try turning the satellite control box first and then your soundbar. The two devices "shake hands" when they are first turned on and if the controller is on then the Polk will be able to determine there's a Dolby digital device connected to it easier.
    Rather than us the DirectTV remote to teach the speaker use the remote for the TV for on/off, mute etc. Once this is done the DirectTV remote should control the speaker.
    Regards, Ken
  • Ken,

We have tried every combination available. I usually always turn on the satellite control box first, then the soundbar. Only once out of every 25 times does it all come on, as you say, "shake hands." Other than that I have to do the steps as described in my original post. When I had the system first set up in Maryland (live in Las Vegas now), I had it set up the exact same way and it worked perfectly every time.

My unfortunate part is that during the move I lost the instruction books for the TV and the Polk surround sound. At present I do not have anything that shows me how to "pair" the surround sound remote to the TV remote and vice versa for the TV remote to the DirecTV remote. Appreciate the help.

Ron
  • Hello,
    I believe this is the owner's manual for the speaker:
    http://www.manualslib.com/manual/521019/Polk-Audio-Surroundbar-6000.html?page=4#manual
    I'm not sure what might be causing the problem with the link between the speaker and the Direct TV controller, but give them a call on Monday at: 1-800-377-7655 and I'm sure they can help.
    Cheers, Ken
  • have a 9500 polk sound bar and no sound
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. Can you provide additional information? What are you using as a program source? Was it working and then stopped? Have you changed anything in your system?
    Regards, Ken
  • Woomom
    Woomom Posts: 2
    Mine is nconnected to my 55" Samsung and I have NO sound! It's B.S.! WHY????
  • woomom I'm having same issue with my 55 inch Samsung curved smart tv
  • The sound keeps breaking up when i switch to tv...no problems when i play movies from pc or Netflix's....reset doesn't work...any ideas
  • I have a Sigma Polk Soundbar, hooked to my Samsung TV, but the when the soundbar is on, the TV sound goes off, and I get no sound from either.