Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated Review

Options
Ok, I'll start off by saying that this is more me sharing what I'm hearing than any sort of technical review. And to be honest, I am using a bit of info from a mini-review I posted earlier, but here goes nothing :)

I haven't tried a ton of gear in my short stint with audiophelia, but I have had a handfull of AVR's, receivers and a couple amps. Mostly from the entry level arena...Harman Kardon, Rotel, B&K, Sony and Anthem. This piece is the most expensive and 'highest-end' amplifier I have owned.

Well the first visual impression was dang good. I mean this thing just looks like a boss. A nice minimalistic, aluminum faceplate with blue LED's, and some real-deal heatsinks on the side. This is a super solid, yet elegant piece.

?pic_id=85290.jpg

It is connected to a dedicated 20A receptacle via a SignalCable PC. A Marantz DV4001 is connected to a PS Audio DLIII (Cullen Mods IV) via a SignalCable digital cable. The DLIII connected to the MF via a KimberKable Silver Streak interconnect. A Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado Gold is connected directly to the MF integrated phono stage via a SignalCable Silver interconnect.

I've spent a lot of time with this unit now so I am very familiar. The first section here involves my gathered knowledge of the sound of the unit playing cd's while listening to Diana Krall...All For You.

From almost the first note I could tell that the musicality is quite stunning. The Antem 225i I tried with this system was good. Very good, but just lacked ever so slightly involving me in the music. It presented the music nicely in so many ways, but just left me wanting a bit more. Like, wondering if it was really good or if I just wanted it to be really good.

The MF doesn't leave me wondering. It has surprisingly smooth, deep, accurate bass, and midrange is something special. Highs are crystal clear without ever being sharp. I don't feel like music is coming from my speakers. I feel like the music is coming from a stage in front of me. I can picture myself in the 10th row/middle of a Diana Krall concert as she is playing Hit That Jive Jack (dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio). The piano is jumping with an amazing energy and I can almost see the hammers hitting the strings. The background singers specifically surround and envelope Diana (not join her) and it all comes together beautifully.

Extremely quiet/silky black background. Spooky quiet. This is the first time I've ever felt compelled to use the term silky black. Because that's what I felt, not what I've heard other people use.

It just sounds rich (which is a term I've never used before in audio, but maybe because I haven't experienced it). Richy rich rich....but with superb detail.

When I measure the soundstage specifically, it doesn't feel super wide or tall by any means, yet I still feel like I am in the performance...not listening through speakers. I will say that when I am specifically listening on my system the height of the soundstage feels correct, the length feels superb and the width feels average at best.

Separation of instruments is the best I've heard, albeit with regards to my opening statement this is against average gear.

670439-musical_fidelity_a308_integrated_amp_made_in_england.jpg

The phono section is very good. Not great. But very, very good.

This was a big selling point for me as I listen to mostly vinyl. The best analogue playback I've experienced in my home was with the PS Audio GCPH connected directly via XLR to the B&K Reference 200.2. But I needed to go integrated and this phono stage bested the Anthem by a slight margin. Again, mostly in musicality and 'feel' of the music. I may upgrade to an external phono stage again at some point, but the MF is good enough that I am comfortable spending my audio money elsewhere first.

20141125_223934_zpsd5c15c19.jpg

So there you have it. That's my best version of a review. Needless to say, I am VERY happy with this purchase, and although I will upgrade at some point in my life, this is one of the first pieces of audio equipment I've ever owned, that even after the honeymoon I didn't feel the need to start looking for something else. This just continues to feel good day after day.

Thanks,
Paul
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    As they say on the other side of the pond, it's nice piece of kit.

Don't forget what I mentioned via PM. Also, upgrade that power cord from what you're using now. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the improvement.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Amen to all that too. Told ya man, you'd love that sucker. Was kinda hoping you didn't too because you gave me 1st dibs.lol

I love the MF stuff made across the pond over the stuff made in Asia. More involving, musical. Glad your digging it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Options
    Only two comments....must be too high end for this crowd.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

DAYUMM!!
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options

So true. Not all of us have baller money. Congrats Paul. What's next ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well, since you asked I thought it would be cool if the volume control moved back and forth by itself and went in and out. I noticed it has a pre-out as I wanted to try an external xover network at one point...I also took note of the MF stuff being more musical and look forward to trying some out. Nice piece.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options

Hey Paul nice piece of equipment, one of the better Integrateds from what I have heard. I hope you are enjoying it as we know you are empty pockets is what you get hanging around this place, that is unless your pockets are as deep as Jesse's :o

I also like that vinyl copy of Auerbach you got there.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    As a fellow MF owner, I have remained silent because...well...it's been snowing and I have been trying to get nearly 2TBs of music migrated from my NAS to my new media server. Hehe.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited February 2015
    Options
    About time! :D

Great review - I knew the moment you snagged this piece that you would be very very pleased!

MF makes great integrateds, imho, of course.

I agree about the built in phono - surprisingly good and does an admirable job to the point, like you said, spend your money elsewhere.

Enjoy the sonic goodness!!

[I missed this post - odd place in the forum for the review]
    Post edited by Erik Tracy on

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • tonyb
    Options

There's only a handful or 2 of us here left Jess that appreciate what good electronics can do outside your normal BestBuy stuff. Most have never even heard of them, heck we had someone who hasn't even heard of OPPO. Tons of good gear makers out there that aren't household names...but should be.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options

Then again, it might not be high-end enough... >:)

J/K.... that is a nice piece, though to be honest, I don't care for all the lights especially on the volume knob.

Hopefully I will get to hear some of their stuff soon.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    Options
    Looks like the only way I'll be able to exercise my 1st dibbs status is if the OP gets hit by a truck.

Better be looking both ways next time you cross the street bro. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Erik Tracy
    Options
    I missed this when it was first posted - kinda odd part of the forum....

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Me too, just finally saw this. Thanks for the review Paul, looks awesome & sounds awesome, Sounds like a keeper (sorry Tony).
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I just did a search of the best buy site and no, no oppo.
    Their stuff good?
    "I don't care for all the lights especially on the volume knob."
    I could see where it would not be for everyone.
  • Erik Tracy
    Options
    Their stuff good?

?

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Their stuff good?

?

Sorry. :)
  • F1nut
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Got you guys talking, didn't I.... B)

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    Got you guys talking, didn't I.... B)

You so stealthy...

• F1nut
    Options
    Hehe.....gotta stir the pot once in awhile.

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    That's a nice integrated. Haven't heard it myself, but have heard other amps by Musical Fidelity.

Now that they are releasing amps that are fully balanced I have been contemplating buying one.

Enjoy your new sound Paul.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Oh my...I check out for one day for a 12 hour superbowl party and come back to this :)

Thanks everyone for the comments. Must have had a brain **** posting it in this section. Sorry about that.

@chumlie ...just need a universal player of sorts, and then that's it... for awhile..

@gudnoyez ...that Auerbach solo album is one of my favorites

@Erik Tracy ...I've been meaning to get this out for awhile...mostly because you kept kicking my **** about it :)

@tonyb ...You got 1st dibs and I'll be watching my back. Hopefully, I win the lottery and can move up the chain. That would be a much preferred way for you to get it.

@nooshinjohn ...We all like different stuff and that's what makes it fun. I actually really like the blue led's, but can understand why some people wouldn't. I even put blue led lights inside the audio cabinet to really make it glow :wink:
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    Options
    imagejpg1_zps70672870.jpg
  • hochpt21
    Options
    chumlie wrote: »

I need blu-ray, though. I'll probably end up with an Oppo again.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Didn't you just sell 2 of them ?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »

That looks just down right relaxing, I can imagine after a hard day sitting in front of that rig of yours a drink in hand, and being lulled into it all with Miles Davis Kind Of Blue gotta get me some sort of led lighting for my 2 channel room, I'm jealous Paul real jealous that looks Fricken fantastic. ( Hey doesn't Emotiva gear illuminate that same Blu glow?) Kidding :#
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • hochpt21
    Options
    chumlie wrote: »
    Didn't you just sell 2 of them ?

Yes :)
  • hochpt21
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    hochpt21 wrote: »

That looks just down right relaxing, I can imagine after a hard day sitting in front of that rig of yours a drink in hand, and being lulled into it all with Miles Davis Kind Of Blue gotta get me some sort of led lighting for my 2 channel room, I'm jealous Paul real jealous that looks Fricken fantastic. ( Hey doesn't Emotiva gear illuminate that same Blu glow?) Kidding :#

Everything you say is correct (except the Emotiva comment :) )

I think Amazon has some decently priced led kits now. I got mine at IKEA.