Energy RC-70 & RC-LCR

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
I just picked up a pair of the Energy RC-70 tower speakers at Frys.

They are on sale, today only, for $249 each. In store pickup only. Promo code needed. Sign up for Frys free newsletter and you'll get the code.

I also picked up the matching RC-LCR center channel speaker for $219.

I had already purchased the RC-10 bookshelf speakers and I was very impressed with them.

Frys runs sales on these Energy speakers from time to time. The RC -10 were on sale yesterday for $199, one day only, in store pickup only. I paid a little more for my RC-10 speakers @ $229, but I'm very happy with them and I still think it's a good deal.

Anyway, I really like these speakers from Energy. To think that some people snub them just because they've been discontinued and discounted is, IMHO, a mistake of epic proportions.

Of course, all of this is my humble, and completely subjective, opinion.

At these prices, I don't see how you can go wrong. They're frequency response is very good, their sound is detailed, but not harsh (no listening fatigue), the cabinets and materials are solid, and the drivers are unique to Energy.

Take advantage of the corporate buyout by Klipsch and Audiovox and get your ears on these beauties in your environment.

I'm glad I heeded the good advice from some fellow forum members and I wound up with some nice, brand new, gear at super discounted prices.
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• larry777
    larry777 Posts: 480
    Options
    I agree the Energy RC line are excellent speakers, especially for the discounted prices. The RC-70's used to sell in Canada at one time for $1250 Each. They are also very good for 2 channel music and are a nice looking speaker. If we had a Frys in our area, I would pick up the RC-10 and RC-LCR also. I believe the RC-LCR used to sell for $749.
    Home Theatre.............

Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub

2 Channel.............................

Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects
  • halo
    Options
    It occurs to me now that I initially purchased my first pair of Energy speakers in December. Therefore, three months have gone by as I put together a modest set up with some of the Energy Reference Connoisseur speakers. I guess that means it is probably time for my thoughts on these speakers.

Please keep in mind that I'm using these in a hybrid 2-Channel / HT set up in an apartment where I cannot listen at 'reference" levels. That said, this is a somewhat nearfield listening experience with volume levels rarely exceeding 75 db.

The sources for these listening sessions are through either the Panasonic BDP DMP-BDT220 or the Slim Devices SB3.

My humble beginnings with the Energy Reference Connoisseur line started out with the RC-10 speakers, solo, in my living room. From the start, I'm happy to relay that I have been very impressed with these bookshelf speakers. Before acquiring the RC-10 speakers, a pair of Polk R15 speakers pulled FR + FL duty for me for some time. The R15 speakers are great for HT, especially when paired w/ the CSi25 center channel speaker but, when listening to music, they're small stature is struggling to fill my living room with sound.

Thankfully, the RC-10 speakers sound much larger than their size would suggest. While the size difference is a mere .25" favor of the tweeter and the woofer of the RC-10, the sound signature implies a much bigger discrepancy.

Next, I installed the RC-LCR by putting it between the FR + FL RC-10 speakers. As the Technics SA-500 receiver I'm using is missing a center channel speaker output, I'm connecting the Center Channel speaker to the left output on the Technics SA-500 and I'm connecting the RC-10 to the right output on the Technics. While listening to each speaker individually, by simply rotating the balance knob, I noticed a difference in the sound between the two speakers immediately. In this instance, the RC-LCR is the superior speaker. The RC-LCR demonstrates bass that is tighter and deeper and the sound, overall, is fuller; probably due to the additional 5.25" driver as well as the dual 2" midrange drivers.

Thinking about the improvement I'm hearing in the RC-LCR over the RC-10 while looking at the RC-10 speakers, just sitting on the tops of the 28" Pangea speaker stands, I am realizing that the RC-10 speakers are now replaceable as the FR + FL. Taking out the measuring tape I discover that the bases of the Pangea stands, which are supporting the RC-10 speakers, are taking up a larger footprint than prospective footprint of the RC-70 speakers. Haza!

However, I will have to move the RC-70 speakers further out into the living room. In comparing their placement to the RC-10 speakers, the difference in the depth of their RC-70 cabinets pose a challenge, given the amount of floorspace my better half is requiring for her daily yoga routine.

I am quickly swapping out the bookshelf speakers for the floorstanding speakers thinking that they can go back if they don't deliver significantly better results than the RC-LCR vs the RC-10. Better still, I can always purchase two more RC-LCR speakers, if need be, for a more floorspace friendly, yet sonically superior, set up in the living room.

I should note that I went with two of the RC-70 towers over two additional RC-LCR speakers because the RC-70 speakers are only $30 more per speaker versus the RC-LCR speakers

Anyway, it didn't take long for me to think that I am making the wrong decision about the towers over the center channel speakers. For some reason, the RC-70 speakers are sounding worse than the RC-LCR speaker. Initially, I'm thinking that the RC-70 speakers are just too big for the room.

Before pressing the panic button I'm digging out the old HK AVR 340, thereby disconnecting the Technics SA-500 from the set up. Of course, during the set up process I'm calibrating everything with the test tones and the analog SPL meter, making sure everything is where it needs to be. Fortunately, the stereo / surround off set up is a bit easier; just set the tone controls to out (off) and I press play on the source.

The HK turns the sound around and the RC-70 speakers now have a new home. I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with these floorstanding speakers. Every move up through the Reference Connoisseur line, the Energy speakers elicit a more abundant improvement in sonic characteristics. The RC-70 speakers throw out such a wide soundstage, with vocals that float beautifully between them, the speakers almost disappear into my living room; the sound is altogether enveloping in my little environment.

As I am well aware, there are better speakers out there from many different manufacturers. Strangely, I don't believe any speakers have been able to present the music to me the way in which the Energy speakers replicate recordings. I know that this all sounds crazy, and maybe it is, but I can only relay to you my experience with these Reference Connoisseur speakers from Energy.

If you have the opportunity, I recommend that you give them a listen. They might just surprise you as much as they surprise me my friends.

Happy listening!

HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    Options
    t4sh6aluzw55.jpg