Question regarding interconnections

Options
I have a HT system consisting of a pretty modern AVR that is network capable, has a powered zone 2 but no Phono input. The entire HT setup is in my family room and is hard wired to my home network. I also have an app on my phone that allow me to access the AVR. In addition, I also have a 2 channel system. The components are also in my family room as well but I have one pair of speakers in the living room and another pair of speakers in the basement. Each pair of speakers run off a separate amp. The AVR is about 25 feet away from the 2 channel components. Base on current circumstances I can't get them any closer. The 2 channel components consists of a TT, tuner, CDP, a preamp and 2 amps.

What I would like to do is:
1- Be able to listen to the turntable in any of the 3 rooms.
2- Be able to listen to Pandora in any of the 3 rooms.
3- Be able to control the volume in any of the 3 rooms with my i phone.

I figure if I run an RCA cable from the tape out on the pre to the CD in on the AVR that would take care of item 1. I figure if I run an RCA from zone 2 out on the AVR to the VCR in on the pre that would take care of items 2 and 3.

Does this sound ok? That's a lot of IC cable, I'm not sure if that is really a good idea. Also, if I have the net (i.e. pandora) as a source on the AVR and I am sending that signal to the 2 channel pre via the VCR in, both the VCR and the pre could be used to adjust the volume in the living room and basement. Again, I'm not sure if that is a good idea. What do you think? Anybody have any better ideas?
HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I think you need to re-think what it is you want to do and buy the right gear to do it instead of trying to put a square peg threw a round hole. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Also depends on what you want to spend to obtain separate volume controls for 3 different rooms. A speaker selector switch might be the cheapest route but won't give you individual control. Turntable is probably the biggest hurdle to get to 3 different areas with separate volume controls.

I would suggest adding a Sonos to each room which can do what you want, but I can't comment as to the SQ running the TT into one of the Sonos units. Can't imagine it would be very good for that application.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Easy Runnin
    Options
    Hey Tony, thanks for the reply. I’m not looking for separate volume controls for 3 different rooms. I’ll admit I had a tough time trying to write my initial post on this thread and I don’t think I did a good job. I know what I’m trying to do; I’m just having difficulty conveying it. Maybe I should break it down into separate issues.

First thing, I want to be able to listen to my turntable from the speakers in my family room. Right now the turntable is connected to the preamp on my 2-channel system. I was thinking I could run a 25 foot interconnect from the rec out on the preamp to the CD in on my AVR. In essence I would be using the preamp as a phono preamp for the AVR. Why would this be a bad idea? The only problem I could think of would be related to the 25 foot RCA cable, but how bad could that be? What do you think?
  • tonyb
    Options
    You might lose some signal strength in that long a run but shouldn't be enough to make a huge difference.

If you want to use the TT in the family room, why not just move it there ? If both your 2 channel gear and HT gear are in the same room, why not combine them in one space, use a speaker selector switch to send to speakers in other rooms.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Easy Runnin
    Options
    You might lose some signal strength in that long a run but shouldn't be enough to make a huge difference.
    That’s what I was thinking, and it wouldn’t be that big a deal. Maybe I can find some half decent ICs that are reasonably priced. 25 feet of BJC would be nearly $100 and that’s a little step for the occasional listen.
    If you want to use the TT in the family room, why not just move it there ? If both your 2 channel gear and HT gear are in the same room, why not combine them in one space, use a speaker selector switch to send to speakers in other rooms.
    In regards to combining the gear, space is an issue. In addition, competition for the room is a bigger issue. Big screen TV, game consoles and computers are also in that room. Very seldom do I get a chance to kick back and listen to some vinyl in that room.

Now for part 2, I would like an option to listen to Pandora in my living room or basement. I was thinking I could run a 25 foot interconnect from the zone 2 out in my AVR to the any one of the available input on the preamp. Besides the signal loss issue, why would this be a bad idea? I’m most concerned about the 2 volume controls. Is there a potential (or real) problem using the AVR as a source for the preamp when both the source and the preamp have a volume control?
  • tonyb
    Options
    A pair of Interconnects 25 feet long for 100 bucks.....you think is steep ? Then you want to run another 25 foot set to the basement ? Your at 200 bucks already and not the best quality either. Using both volume controls would just take careful matching, you won't hurt anything by using 2, though not ideal.

To cover that amount of space plus a basement you need to think about going wireless.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Easy - sounds like your plan may work out just fine functionally speaking, but can't comment on the quality. I'd probably go with a wireless option here as well. It's just easier and cleaner.

For your TT requirement, you'd need a wireless piece that can accept inputs. If you want to pursue wired, and you can accept a bit of monetary risk for the sake of experimentation, maybe find some cheap cables and see if it works out the way you want before buying nice ones. FWIW, I've found sometimes that my first stab at a project wasn't really what I wanted in the end, in spite of well thought out planning, and I sometimes end up going in a completely different direction.

What is your tolerance for SQ loss, anyway? In this setup, you may need to allow for some compromise - where are you willing to take that hit? Cost, convenience, or, possibly, sound quality?
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    What is your tolerance for SQ loss, anyway?

Good question, one I was beating around the bush with.

If your Ht gear and 2 channel is in the same room, combine the 2 or buy stuff that ups the anty for a dual purpose system, then shoot wireless to the basement. Your not playing games and listening to 2 channel in the same room at the same time anyway....hopefully.

Part of the aggravation of this hobby is trying to get legacy gear to fit into modern lifestyles, getting them to do what they weren't designed to do. You'll usually find the cost and aggravation plus loss of SQ isn't worth it in the end. Plus it actually takes up more space.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Your idea would work in theory, but you will lose some line voltage over those long runs possibly resulting in you having to boost the volume dial. Only way to know for sure is to try it. However 2 pairs of interconnects at 25 feet each won't come that cheap, and if it does, your doing yourself a disservice for SQ.

I would seriously think about wireless, combining some gear, maybe sell some to fund other purchases.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Easy Runnin
    Options

It's all about compromises. The WAF determines what can go in the living room. My son and his friends tend to keep me out of the family room. I have to work around the fireplaces, french doors, furniture, etc. I'm looking to add convenience while not giving up too much in SQ. There are ways around the 2 volume issue. I could use the VCR rec out to the preamp. I have a fixed and variable setting for zone 2 out on the AVR. But each of these have different drawbacks. If the 2 volume issues isn't a big deal, I guess I'll look for some cheap ICs and see how it goes. Thanks for the replies.