A Bluefox kinda Friday night...

Comments

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,914
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Oi! Nerds! Take it elsewhere! I have beer drinkin' to do here....

Oh go drink a Cosmopolitan with a desktop DDR2 RAM stick as the swizzle stick!
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Wow, crazy texture on the fan blades of that EVGA that you have - very cool!

And yeah, Corsair's earlier PSUs were much better than their later/recent ones. I have two Corsair HX620s that still work perfectly.
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Don't expect that kind of build quality or warranty for the lower end stuff. I've got a EVGA 850 watt PSU...this one,

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0850-X1

powering a system here nicely...same 10 year warranty too. My Corsair AX1200 had a 5 year one when I bought it....way back in '09 that is...and has been running nearly 24/7 since and still functions perfectly within spec is a testament to solid build quality.

Yep, the newer stuff is pure junk to be honest from Corsair...and that textured fan...sadly I'll never see it lol it faces the bottom of the case.

Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,950
    Added three brass weights to the top of the pre to counterbalance the bottom three footers. Did seem to tighten up the music, and remove a bit of harshness. Then again, maybe it was the beer. I love evaluating new gear. :)

l39hdp7n4ulw.jpeg
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,441

x2j14ur40tnp.jpg
    Take this. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

x2j14ur40tnp.jpg

Shut up Russ! lol
  • Getting ready for tonight’s game.
    Go Bucks!!
    a30lvnlj0vae.jpeg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
    4cy8jvpzzt2j.jpg

Good brew. Goes well with summer sausage and cheeses.
  • Looks good..I love a good IPA
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,602
    My hydraulic lines froze up! Iowa sucks!
    I bought beers....

Got to love it when your company sends you north in the winter and south in the summer :/

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    edited December 2017
    Ice storm here, let’s just say I’m posting from my iPad rather than a desktop PC...system is off as well as anything else plugged into an outlet. Thankfully this iPad doesn’t require WiFi....as that’s out too....like the whole area....ugh.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,485
    edited December 2017
    Bell's Two Hearted Ale is better!
    Good brew. Goes well with summer sausage and cheeses.

Got Dayens?
  • nbrowser wrote: »
    Ice storm here, let’s just say I’m posting from my iPad rather than a desktop PC...system is off as well as anything else plugged into an outlet. Thankfully this iPad doesn’t require WiFi....as that’s out too....like the whole area....ugh.

Stay warm!

We’re getting a little snow in ahia tonight.

Stay warm!

We’re getting a little snow in ahia tonight.

Thanks, the BC Hydro web site reports crews are repairing the outage issue affect8ng my area. These folks do NOT mess around. They were prepared for this storm and had all hands on deck before the storm hit.
    Good luck. Power out on a Friday night is inexcusable.

Just starting night 2 of evaluating the XP-22. Playing my rap playlist now to work the bass, and foul language, circuits. :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    BlueFox wrote: »

Just starting night 2 of evaluating the XP-22. Playing my rap playlist now to work the bass, and foul language, circuits. :)

I agree...however the weather outside is highly frightful :(

Just a nasty storm tonight...
    I do not miss that weather at all. LOL
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    What's your favorite music genre?

Got Dayens?
    For Friday/Saturday nights it is rock and roll. Daytime music is either female jazz singers, or classical chamber music. Weeknights is chamber music, or quiet.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,079

The 22 is not on the website yet. What did they tell you they improved? And why not go for the 30 instead?

Enjoy the new toy!!!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Sonos - W4S Mod, DAC: W4S DAC-2
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
    Thorton, the umbilical is now a 10 pin cable with aircraft grade Canon plugs and connectors. This is a huge improvement over the cheap, plastic, short, throwaway DB25 used on the 20. They paid attention to all the customers saying how much better the 20 worked after replacing the umbilical with the Revelation Audio Cyro umbilical.

With the longer umbilical I placed the power supply on the floor under the rack. This helps reduce/eliminate stray noise from the preamp.

They improved the gain/volume circuitry, along with some other trickle down technology from the $40K XS preamp.

The 30 has two power supplies, which means more wasted shelf space, plus buying another RA umbilical. Not sure if any improvement is worth that hassle.

I bought my 20 as an open box demo for $6K in July 2013. The 22 cost me $4K by trading in the 20, along with the RA cable. Basically, my trade in value was the same as what I paid four years ago for a used model.

So far this is appearing to be a good deal. My review so far is very positive.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    My hydraulic lines froze up! Iowa sucks!
    I bought beers....

Got to love it when your company sends you north in the winter and south in the summer :/

Arseholes....
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,079
    Since you've been satisfied with the Pass preamp and amps (now for many years), that upgrade sounds like a no brainer. I hope it gives you a significant enjoyment/upgrade to what you've had and it seems like it's already proving so. Thank god it goes to 99 now....LOL.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Sonos - W4S Mod, DAC: W4S DAC-2
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
    Power came on about 6:45AM PT this morning...I was close to making the furnace work with a generator outside the house sending electricity to it but hankfully all is good so far. Hydro crews are working their rear ends off restoring power to the area. At one point over 100,000 households were in the dark last night. Real bad winds, ice rain and whatnot causing all sorts of havoc.
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,193
    Yikes! Glad you have heat again and all is well. This cold is no joke!
    Thorton wrote: »
    Since you've been satisfied with the Pass preamp and amps (now for many years), that upgrade sounds like a no brainer. I hope it gives you a significant enjoyment/upgrade to what you've had and it seems like it's already proving so. Thank god it goes to 99 now....LOL.

Yes, it goes from 0-99. That is a real scale, not some wacky 0-87 scale. WTF were they thinking with that scale. :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    @BlueFox you feel that earthquake last night?
    Got Dayens?
    edited January 4
    Around 2:30 AM? I felt something but wasn't sure if it was a quake or a dream.

Edit: Just checked the local news web-site and there was a 4.4 in Hayward at 2:39AM. The faults on the east side of the Bay have been active for a while now. Wonder if it is getting ready to rip?
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    Ah, I guess you were pretty far away from it. 4.5 magnitude quake centered near Berkeley at 2:40am. Pretty violent shaking at my place in Alameda.
    Around 2:30 AM? I felt something but wasn't sure if it was a quake or a dream.

Got Dayens?
    Yes, in San Jose. My earthquake detector didn’t go off, so there was little shaking here. However, in the past, the cats will get on top of the TV and swat it, which sets it off. I have woken up thinking “Earthquake!”, and then wondered why I didn’t feel anything. :)

cqzdphbfxacq.jpeg
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.