Ride Music Festival in Telluride CO?

Options
MrBuhl
MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
edited January 2015 in The Clubhouse
Thinking of heading out with a couple buddies to celebrate our 50th Birthdays, wondering if anyone has attended Ride and has any tips or reviews? Last years lineup looked pretty good.
VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
SACD Marantz DV8300
Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
Yamaha YP-D6
Soundcraftsmen PCR800
Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
Pho-700 Phono Pre
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Comments

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Never been to that one there,but I did see the Dead play a very long concert about 87 outdoors...Heard that they just showed up and started playing..made a road trip up there from Albuquerque....that was a very cool weekend...
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    I'll bet it was! I've been around CO quite a bit, but never up to Telluride - seems like a small town ala Buena Vista?
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    I'm sure that it has changed a bit since then...when I was there,it was very nice..town nestled in pine valleys...big ski destination...there was a city park they played at...very neat,homey,friendly atmosphere....
  • mark090852
    Options
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    I'm sure that it has changed a bit since then...when I was there,it was very nice..town nestled in pine valleys...big ski destination...there was a city park they played at...very neat,homey,friendly atmosphere....

I go there frequently in the fall to do some back country Jeeping. It's a beautiful mountain town, but VERY expensive. Tom Cruise currently has a house for sale there listed at $59 million. So if you are in the market...

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    Hmm - Tom's house sounds tempting... but I'll have to pass, I need interconnects first...

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• mark090852
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Hmm - Tom's house sounds tempting... but I'll have to pass, I need interconnects first...

I passed on it for the same reason! Priorities...it's all about priorities! lol

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Oprah also has a place there and Ralph Lauren's Double RL Ranch is only about 20 minutes away. The area is VERY expensive. The town is a fun mix of hippies and money.
    Condos can be rented up in Mountain Village for reasonable prices either for a weekend or a week.

Plan on it being crowded with a very eclectic group of people but there is just something about kicking back, listening to good tunes and enjoying some of the best views this country has to offer. Great food options. And a fantastic bike/pedestrian trail system.

Side note, John Wayne's old ranch is also up the road and you can rent the ranch house for pretty reasonable.

We visit Ouray (on the other side of the San Juans from Telluride) virtually every summer and have been thinking about investing in a time share in Mountain Village to ease the hassle of finding a place to stay each year.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've stayed at Mountain Villiage. It's a nice place and reasonably priced. My great great Grandfather surveyed the San Juan mountains and there is a mountain named after him (Mt. Rhoda) just southeast of Silverton, Colorado. My great great Grandfather (Franklin Rhoda) and his half brother A.D. Wilson surveryed all of the San Juan mountains. Originally, the current Wilson Peak was the mountain that was to be named after my great great Grandfather, but due to problems identifying who the initials, F.D.R belonged to the mountain was named after A.D. Wilson instead. Years later the Geological society named the current Mount Rhoda after my great great Grandfather.

The area is beautiful, and a great place to visit. I haven't been to the music festival, however. If you attend, please let us know about it and how it went.
    Post edited by headrott on
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    I think we're going to do it - so I definitely will let you all know how it was. Should be interesting, I've never done the festival thing before. Never too late to start I guess!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Make sure to do a Jeep tour over Black Bear Pass and to check out Bridal Veil Falls!

@headrott That is awesome! I have spent a lot of time in the mountains around Silverton on back country exploration trips. I will now make it a point to visit this specific mountain!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @ZLTFUL Excellent! It's a great area to hike. It get's tough at the very end of the hike, but hey, my grandfather made it at age 71! :)

Here is a photograph of my great great grandfather (Franklin Rhoda) and my half-great great uncle (A.D. Wilson) in the process of surverying the San Juan mountains. It's small, but hopefully not too small. My great great grandfather (Franklin Rhoda) is the one sitting down.

exploration3.jpg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    ^^ Really cool that you have links to history like that Headrott^^ Thanks for sharing! I've done a good bit of climbing around CO in my younger days, but I think LaPlata is as close as I got to the San Juans. Who knows, maybe in my future too - I've got over 20 years till I'm as old as Grandpa - though I'd wager he was in a lot better shape than I am currently!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    Options
    Well - we have an official lineup and we have tickets - I'm pretty pleased with the acts so far - I'll be sure to report in after the festival!

nsycjzjmjhwz.jpg

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    Options
    So here I am - almost a year later, and just getting around to update this - I did end up going to Ride Festival last year - and it was everything and more. The acts were great, the scenery, venue, and town is a great town. The people uber friendly, even between the "havs and have nots" - (there are a LOT of rich folk in or staying in Telluride). Was just a great time.

So great in fact, that I am going BACK this year! Pearl Jam is headlining Saturday night and I just couldn't miss that! Here are a few pics from last year to give you a feel for the festival and the views. Favorite bands from last year?

Zella Day was oustanding (and easy on the eyes)
    Dorothy opened the festival with a blistering rock set
    Temperance Movement - just fantastic blues rock - reminds me of Black Crowes
    the kicker was a last minute fill-in -
    Band of Heathens took the stage when another band couldn't and they just crushed it, I have since bought three of their CD's.

Each band does about a 45 min set, then they take about 30-40 minutes to setup the next band... followed by that band... and so it goes from 10:30AM until about 11PM all day. Just great fun, tons of finger food tents (burgers, dogs, burritos, sammys) great beer, and sitting around jamming to music on the lawn. Then at night, they all do shows in the local bars so you can wander into town (Telluride is only about 8 blocks wide by about 25 blocks long) and catch some more shows, bars, restaurants. A great vibe.

Anyway - here's some pics from 2015 Ride Festival:

1oeudmrjix1i.jpg

tufdea6h5028.jpg

ux7y2hh0d9rc.jpg

lof08rtwg5px.jpg

vr5gs8mnr8n9.jpg

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    Options
    This years lineup poster:

9fyk0ibdhrxq.jpg

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre