San Diego Gathering

124»

Comments

• codyc1arkcodyc1ark Posts: 2,539
    Can we get some names with faces por favor...

I'm NOT the guy in the Iowa shirt....
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 5,542
    Hey ya been in So Cal a couple of days and already speak some Spanish. I bet your having second thoughts about returning to the homeland for a couple of weeks. Yeah names with faces would be cool.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,090
    I was impressed by the Musical Fidelity integrated. I have not heard their stuff before, but have heard good things about it. Thanks Doug, and to your wonderful family for hosting us. It was a pleasure to meet all of you.

I had a great time today, and hope to see everyone again soon.

John
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Walker Precision Motor Drive with ClearAudio Titanium v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Men are like a very fine wine. They start off as grapes, and it takes the love of a Woman to stomp the crap out of them in order to make them something modestly acceptable to have dinner with...
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,090
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    I'll add this, pictures cannot do those amps justice. It was an honor to me to see them in person. They sound much better than they look, if you would believe that. I'm surprised that they aren't doing an extended stay. ;) >:) ;)

Thank you sir for the kind words. I am happy you got your ears on them after all that Dan has put you through. :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Walker Precision Motor Drive with ClearAudio Titanium v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Men are like a very fine wine. They start off as grapes, and it takes the love of a Woman to stomp the crap out of them in order to make them something modestly acceptable to have dinner with...
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 37,680
    Looks like everyone had a good time spending time with some nice gear.

Oh yeah.......I know who is who and I'm taking bribes to keep my mouth shut.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• aboroth00aboroth00 Posts: 1,018
    I'd like to echo the sentiments posted already and thank Doug for providing the venue and Erik and John for providing some great gear and Cody for blessing us with his presence :P. All in all a great time with a bunch of great guys.

By the looks of it you could not tell whatsoever that John's amps were DIY. In Doug's room and with John's gear, it definitely made me second guess my current setup once I got the Revel's back into my system. And I keep saying i'm done...

2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • Erik TracyErik Tracy Posts: 4,691
    What a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon!

My thanks to Doug and his family for playing host again - fantastic family.

And thank you to John for hauling down his Carver monoblocks and Pass preamp. With those set up - any speaker we hooked up went to a whole different level of sonic performance.

I couldn't stop saying 'wow' at the detail, depth, and texture I was hearing. And power....ppffft - those mono blocks were shaking the house!

We tried all sorts of combos with the gear there and it all sounded good, but everyone was in agreement 'best' was the Carvers with the Pass.

Very impressed with Will's Revel Gems - amazing soundstage width and balanced sound. Definitely sounded better to me with the rear firing tweeters engaged.

I think Doug has some thinking to do with the next steps on his path....me too!

Best part - meeting up with new folks into this hobby and sharing good music.

Thanks to all!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • dpowelldpowell Posts: 2,676
    dpowell wrote: »
    h5g7efn85smr.jpg

Left to right

Cody, John, Erik, Will, Doug
    edited March 2015
    "Erik wrote:
    And thank you to John for hauling down his Carver monoblocks and Pass preamp. With those set up - any speaker we hooked up went to a whole different level of sonic performance.

I couldn't stop saying 'wow' at the detail, depth, and texture I was hearing. And power....ppffft - those mono blocks were shaking the house!

We tried all sorts of combos with the gear there and it all sounded good, but everyone was in agreement 'best' was the Carvers with the Pass.

Thank you Eric for the kind words... I learned quite a bit too from your MF and the B&W's. That is some seriously fine gear as well. I have never really considered "bookies" to be as good as their floor standing counterparts, but my eyes were opened to that possibility in a very big way.

I was also impressed by Doug's Sunfire paired up with the Pass. I don't see ever going back to SS power, but that Sunfire is a beast, and really came alive once the Pioneer was taken out of the loop. If my wife were not wanting to get on the road for the long drive home, I could have listened to that combo for a long time.

• schwarcwschwarcw Posts: 7,077
    Very nice guys! John has some great equipment. I've heard the Revel Gems and they are very impressive! Glad to see Polkies getting together and having a great time. Thanks for sharing!
    Carl

• voltzvoltz Posts: 4,522
    WTG Doug!! Thanks for sharing and glad you all had a great time!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Erik TracyErik Tracy Posts: 4,691
    I uploaded some pictures I took of the event - just gear.

We had the bookies on some very nice stands that Will brought down - I couldn't believe how good my B&Ws sounded out in the room. And the way John's Carver's gripped and controlled the bass - they were digging low!

CA-CP-2015-1.jpg
    CA-CP-2015-2.jpg
    CA-CP-2015-3.jpg
    CA-CP-2015-4.jpg

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • civiliancivilian Posts: 277
    Looks all to familiar. Isn't it about time to do something again?
124»