Momentums, lateral move or upgrade?

nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,263
Well, reason I ask is cause when I auditioned my headphone amp, the Schiit Asgard 2 I used a pair of Momentum over ear (not the on ear version) and thought they sounded plenty fine, fine enough to possibly knock my Sony MDR1R's off their perch, anyone got comments, to throw at me for any reason?

Comments

• eeagleeeagle Posts: 230
    I run the Momentum's with an Audioengine D! DAC/Amp and am always amazed, the more I use the combo the better they sound. Have not heard the Sony so can not compare.

That said I still prefer the open Sennheiser HD580/HD600 for serious listening.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,263
    hrm now it's come to my attention the AKG Q-701s are on sale at a local retailer for a discounted price...(authorized dealer)...what will my Asgard 2 have the pleasure of powering in the near future :)
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,370
    that is one headphone I have never heard, in the old days AKG was all we ever used. My buddy Bart the drummer was the one to tell me about them back then. They were a lot cheaper then good speakers, especially when you live a home LOL
    volts....and according to the AKG site...my amp will overdrive the living carp outta them....62 ohm and 160mW max input power...ummmm Asgard 2 does 1,000mW (1W) at 32 ohms...erm lol
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,370
    edited January 2015
    I get confused sometimes on which way to set the Headphone amp for High or Low on certain Cans...
    now my WOO WA3 doesnt like anything other then 300-600 ohms..a 32ohm can sounds like crap in it.

that was just the C word LOL
  • cnhcnh Posts: 13,310
    Not many amps are going to overdrive any version of the AKG 701(2)s. Disregard those impedance numbers, these phones are HARD to drive well! And love POWER!

cnh
    Still considering the Momentums....c'mon someone push me please! Need some guidance.
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 5,469
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-Headphone-Brown/dp/B009QV15DU

At this price nothing should stop you from owning a pair I chose the 598s over the Momentums, but thought the Momentums were just as good. If I had not just dropped some coin on a few pair of new IEMs I would be all over these.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,839
    Seems like you've already made up your mind, but I'll throw this out there anyway:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00B3QD94O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422856199&sr=8-2&keywords=philips+fidelio+x2

Don't be fooled by the brand name, search head-fi and read up on these...
    Nope, haven't made up my mind yet. Still debating about them, I do know they sounded sweet when pushed by dedicated headphone amplification which i own now. One of those things I guess one scrutinizes before buying.
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 5,469
    I wouldn't scrutinize to long since both the on ear and over ear models are on sale at a very good price if you scrutinize to long they will be back up to regular price.
    Eh I'm looking at $270 for the over ear version up here in Canada, even a sale price down there in the U.S. isn't such a good deal up here so to speak factoring in exchange and shipping and import duties.
    Dang what's it take to get Assimilated to chime in here...lol
    I'm pretty sure he loves the Phillips Fidelio X1's as well.
    edited February 2015
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/158409/philips-fidelio-x1-i-got-another-headphone-for-you-guys-to-hear
    I will say this, if I could only own ONE pair of headphones under $500 these would be my choice. That's not bad considering they can be had on Amazon for under $250.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/163446/sennheiser-hd-650
    I HIGHLY recommend that anyone looking at the Senn 600 or 650 also audition the Fidelio X1. The X1 can be had for around $250 on Amazon and really does warrant an audition.

I personally like them over the Senns, and while I won't guarantee you will come to the same conclusion you should at least try them out if you can. The Senns do some things better, but as an overall package I prefer the X1's more fun and involving sound. The two are more similar than they are different, with the X1 having a little more bass and a bit more extended treble.
    Well, that only took what...9 months to buy something else...more to come.
  • AsSiMiLaTeDAsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,403
    Hey, I'm only 9 months late to the thread :-)

In their price range the Fidelio X2 are still my favorite headphones overall. I also enjoy my AKG Q701 for some genres, especially music where their slightly lean sound works well. I prefer my HD600 for music where vocals are the focus, especially female jazz artists. For everything else though I prefer the X2.

I'm not a big fan of closed headphones, but the Shure 1540 is probably the best of all the ones I've heard below $500 or so. Sure, they're almost twice as expensive as the Momentum, but they're also twice as good and have a amazingly open sound for being closed headphones.
    I've been trying to get Ken to buy some Fidelios for I don't know how long. Good luck. ;)
    It's not like the Fidelio are the perfect headphone, they're just good enough in their price range that anyone looking for a can should test them out.
    Used X1's around $150 right now. At that price range, forget about anything else until you're over $500.
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I've been trying to get Ken to buy some Fidelios for I don't know how long. Good luck. ;)

Not available up here...anywhere...unless you buy online, which goes against my ideals of supporting the local economy.
    So, I'm walking through the local Best Buy (yeah laugh) and wandered over to the headphone area and saw something too good to pass up.

Having heard the Momentum Over Ear's powered by a Asgard 2 in a store a long while back I figured "Man I gotta get a pair of these". Loved the sound, my MDR1Rs were close but not as good as the Momentum/Asgard 2 combo did. And yes, I do actually own an Asgard 2, damn fine headphone amplifier in it's own right. Class A power is quite good.

Not really looking into buying today this couldn't be skipped as Best Buy was getting rid of stock it seemed, now these things normally retailed for $350 for the over ear but when you see a price tag for $99.99...well I brought a pair in black home. Open Box? Nope! Brand New in sealed box. Yes I'm talking Canadian dollars as well. Figure I'll do some A/B after I burn the Momentums in and sell the loser be it Sony or Sennheiser but for a hundred bucks, you can't complain.
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

Not available up here...anywhere...unless you buy online, which goes against my ideals of supporting the local economy.
    I personally wouldn't let my local loyalty prevent me from shopping online if I can't find a product locally but I get where your head is at.

I'm all for supporting my local stores and hardly ever shop online and when I do I try to at least go with specialty shops and avoid the big box stores like Amazon.

Have your local guys order the headphones for you, and if they won't order them for you then may be worth questioning if they're someone you really wan to support anyway
    Just an update...the pair of Mometums I picked up then didn't see any use as they were destroyed by a rat infestation at the time. I never did get them out of the box until a few weeks after purchase and they were goners. However today I picked up a pair of 2.0 over ears in black, the rat problem is long eliminated which is a good thing. That same infestation lead me to crossover and filling replacement in the RTiA7 towers. This pair will see use as I gain the courage to open up the left earcup on the MDR-1Rs to hot snot the cable jack back into place as it's rattling...ugh.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,552
    I love my Momentums, they are the lightest, most well fitting headphones I have ever used. They get daily use during the week for my commute to and from work. Enjoy. :)
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,202
    Well, I learned something new today....Canada has rats ? Explains your idea of chili. lol
    tonyb wrote: »
    Well, I learned something new today....Canada has rats ? Explains your idea of chili. lol

Yep we do, they are bigger than Chicago rats...they can beat up Chicago rats...lol
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,412
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I love my Momentums, they are the lightest, most well fitting headphones I have ever used. They get daily use during the week for my commute to and from work. Enjoy. :)

Audio is subjective, and head and ear sizes are just...different. I love the sound of the momentums, one of the best (if not the best) closed-back I have tried. But I couldn't wear them for more than an hour of so without it starting to irritate, if I went two hours it just became painful. They are light, and probably very comfortable if you have tiny ears, but my slightly large head and averaged sized ears did not like them...
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,901
    I agree rooftop. The fit is what kept me from buying a pair a year or two ago. Great sound but definitely physically fatiguing.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,552
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »

Audio is subjective, and head and ear sizes are just...different. I love the sound of the momentums, one of the best (if not the best) closed-back I have tried. But I couldn't wear them for more than an hour of so without it starting to irritate, if I went two hours it just became painful. They are light, and probably very comfortable if you have tiny ears, but my slightly large head and averaged sized ears did not like them...
    DSkip wrote: »
    I agree rooftop. The fit is what kept me from buying a pair a year or two ago. Great sound but definitely physically fatiguing.

For you guys, yes that is a common complaint. However, for women's smaller heads including mine they are perfect. They are the first headphone I have ever worn that don't slip off my head.