SVS SEALED FOR MUSIC

Options
Eyeing a pair of these for my 2 channel
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb-2000
I will say the lack of speaker level inputs are a concern, but any opinions on SVS for music?

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    I've heard they are good for both and the sealed especially.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Honestly I feel Speaker level is best for 2 channel only systems. I find the response is much closer to the main channel speakers since it's getting it's info through the main amp.
    Line level now you have 2 different Dynamic ranges that are not always the same. Some amps respond a bit differently. It's not a big deal unless you have experienced the difference.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    Options
    I also found speaker level inputs were the best for 2channel. I was shocked and thought my ears were playing tricks on me. Went back and forth for weeks and realized in my rig, the speaker levels were superior.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    I just got off the phone w SVS and the guy was ultra cool. A pair of sb 2000s is what I am looking at and the price is about the same as one REL t 9. I just wonder if the lack of speaker inputs is the cost benefit tipping point, so to speak.
    i wonder if an RCA to speaker custom cable would do the trick....although I doubt it due I have never seen one before...
  • Conradicles
    Options
    Kev, what is your max budget?
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    Say 1300.00 budget max
  • Conradicles
    Options
    In regards to a custom rca to speaker cable, I would not do that. The dual svs should make a really nice 2 channel rig. However, REL would peak my interest too;)
  • Conradicles
    Options
    You can always send the SVS back if they do not fit your needs.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    You can always send the SVS back if they do not fit your needs.

On their dime too which is pretty cool...

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    I would rather look on the used market for a pair of Martin Logan subs as they are really great for music. You could buy a single depthi from ML for $1200 and thats a good $2200 sub that would be far superior.
  • Conradicles
    Options
    Kev...are you set on 2 sub's, or is your room set up that you could use just one?

Power Sound Audio has a dual 15" sub that fits your budget...the XS30se. A beast for sure.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The SVS uses a nice driver... a nice choice for a music system.

another option....If you have some basic DIY skills here is one option that allows for Hi level inputs.

2 - Dayton RSS315HF-4 - $300
    2 - BASH 500W amps - $400 or BASH 300W amps $270
    2 - DIY Sound Group 2 cu ft enclosures - $145
    1- spikes, screws, poly stuffing, wire - $50
    1- Dura Tex coating - $20
    ---
    $915 + shipping

About $400-$530 cheaper but you have to do a little work. The RS subs can sound very nice.

http://www.avsforum.com/attachments/77173
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    I use a pair of NHT B-12d's. They don't hit as low (like 24Hz) but man do they integrate well and sound great with my Salk's. ( I have a large room and no speaker has a chance in the nethers). They are out of your budget range retail, but you could check their opened B stock.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just installed a pair of SVS PB13 Ultras and am loving them for music. I haven't even played around with sealing them yet. With the totally risk free trial and help from superb customer service reps, you can't go wrong giving them a try. I purchased B stock units at an additional savings and you can still get the dual subs discount on top of that. I cannot find a single flaw on mine even though the website said there were slight blemishes. It might be a way for you to move up to the SB13's if you can stretch the budget a tad more. :wink:

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wonder if sometimes these companies create b stock. Like they have one but you want two and oh another just became available. You get item and its the best b stock piece you ever saw....lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • dpowell
    Options
    I think that SVS is very particular about the customer having the most excellent experience possible, even if that means the most miniscule scratch or blemish means a unit is classified as B stock. They don't currently have any PB13 Ultras in their B stock inventory right now.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • ken brydson
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    I think that SVS is very particular about the customer having the most excellent experience possible, even if that means the most miniscule scratch or blemish means a unit is classified as B stock. They don't currently have any PB13 Ultras in their B stock inventory right now.

If you like the cylinder style they have 4 PC13 Ultras in B stock right now.
  • WLDock
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Man you guys are offering deep pocket suggestions. Even B-Stock you are talking $3K for the Ultras. Great subs but more performance over the suggested SB-2000's can be had for less. The 30-day trial of the $799 ea/$1499 for two, Power Sound Audio XS15se sealed 15's should be in order. Just comes down to what one is after at what price.

Comparison_Mini_Chart_XS15se_v6_big.png?2389

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/xs15se
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/93241-powersound-audio-xs15se-subwoofer-review.html

I guess if one had $3K for subbass then there are tons of options. Could even go three subs using the Geddes method.
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • dpowell
    Options
    So do the 30 day in home trial of the Power Sound Audio and the SVS at the same time and A/B them. Then you will know for sure which ones you want to drop the coin on. I haven't heard of PSA but that doesn't mean they don't make a good sub. SVS has built a solid reputation and their products are rock solid performers. You probably pay a bit of a premium for that. Definitely dual subs is the way to go if you can afford it. I am blown away by the improvement in bass response having a sub on each side of the couch. :smiley:

• dpowell
    Options
    You might also check Craigslist and see if you can snag one slightly used to save some coin.

• Conradicles
    Options
    PSA has former SVS guys running the show I think. They use a modified LAB15 driver in some of their sub's and that driver is very highly regarded in the DIY sub world.

I like the idea of buying a SVS and PSA sub and having a shootout. The loser goes home.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    PSA has former SVS guys running the show I think. They use a modified LAB15 driver in some of their sub's and that driver is very highly regarded in the DIY sub world.

I like the idea of buying a SVS and PSA sub and having a shootout. The loser goes home.

The V in SVS is IIRC Victor, who is the founder of PSA subs..... So its got some very good credence and reputation IMHO.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ken brydson
    Options

The V in SVS is IIRC Victor, who is the founder of PSA subs..... So its got some very good credence and reputation IMHO.

The V is Tom Vodhanel, co founder of SVS with Ron Stimpson.
  • NYmike
    NYmike Posts: 13
    Options
    I have the sb2000 it is a great sub for the money music was the reason I bought it and it has not disappointed me one bit. I play drums as a hobby and bass to my ears can become sloppy and overbearing. With the SVS it seems to just blend,kick up the volume of the source and you can feel it without it getting muddy. two would be so much better. One day
  • WLDock
    edited January 2015
    Options
    NYmike wrote: »
    I play drums as a hobby and bass to my ears can become sloppy and overbearing. With the SVS it seems to just blend,kick up the volume of the source and you can feel it without it getting muddy. two would be so much better. One day
    I hear you on this. I've drum for years myself and for a long time only liked the sound of a low Q sealed or IB subs....even all the years in car audio. Sealed in the home blends better with the gain in many rooms. However, ported mixed with room gain can be too much at times. However, good ported designs mixed with some DSP and room treatments can produce some potent and clean bass as well.

IMO, large sealed is the way to go for a 50/50 music/HT sub with the least amount of fuss....and two is always better than one if placement is done right.

• Conradicles
    Options
    My new 18" sealed Stereo Integrity build is perfect for my needs. I personally favor sealed sub's, or passive radiator designs. Sure you get more output with ported designs, but that is not my objective.
  • ken brydson
    Options
    Wasn't Epik the one to go down in flames due to failing amps?
  • EndersShadow
    Options

Nope, that was Elemental Designs IIRC... (disclaimer my sub has a diff amp that was proven to be rock steady, too late for the company).

Epik just had a out of stock problem and just closed shop....

• ken brydson
    Options

Nope, that was Elemental Designs IIRC... (disclaimer my sub has a diff amp that was proven to be rock steady, too late for the company).

Epik just had a out of stock problem and just closed shop....

My bad, knew it was an "E" name...