SDA trade

Options
I have a friend who is interested in swapping SDAs with me and I'd like some opinions of what you all think. I have a very nice pair of SDA-2Bs with RDO-194s and bypassed polyswitches, other than that they are stock. My friend has a mint pair of SDA-2 studios with full upgrades. I'm uncertain of the specifics but I know the crossovers were done including the bass incuctor, cabinet was sealed, drivers dynamatted, they were TL'd, spikes, I think there is more to the list of upgrades and they were meticulously done. My friend likes the look of the 2Bs with the wood end caps more and I'm more into how a speaker sounds, but I don't want cheap looking speakers either! What do you guys think?
2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server

Comments

• Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Swapping for good or temporary?
    You both can swap it for a month and see if you want to make it permanent.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Hang on to the 2Bs till you can do the full upgrades on them -- then you'll have the best of both worlds!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• ambiophonics
    Options
    It would be a swap for good.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    Hang on to the 2Bs till you can do the full upgrades on them -- then you'll have the best of both worlds!

Are the wood end caps just visual or is there something else that makes my non studio SDA's more desirable?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    SDA-2 studios? Do you mean the SDA 2A, SDA 2B or what?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ambiophonics
    Options
    They are the same as my 2Bs but with the black studio cabinet. The studios are pin blade and have the single board crossover.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, in stock form the specs and performance would be the same. His modded version will sound much better assuming everything was done correctly. Maybe get together and compare.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ambiophonics
    Options
    That's a good idea F1, I think we are going to try and do a side by side comparison this Saturday. He's about an hour away so it's a bit of a drive but should be fun. He has a NAD 7175PE driving them that I hooked him up with earlier this year, hopefully that's good enough power for a comparison. Otherwise I could bring my TFM-35 for a bit more juice.
  • Moose68Bash
    edited December 2014
    Options

Are the wood end caps just visual or is there something else that makes my non studio SDA's more desirable?

F1nut has confirmed what I thought when I commented: the two speakers systems differ cosmetically and in stock condition should perform the same.

My comment was simply to suggest that it is easier to upgrade the crossovers, etc., to improve performance than it is to deal with the cosmetics of the cabinets -- at least it would be for me. Besides, if and when you decide to upgrade the performance, you can do it exactly how you want, not according to somebody else's specifications.

The side-by-side comparison is a great idea, if only to get a sense of what the unmodified speakers can be upgraded to deliver!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• ambiophonics
    Options
    I'm looking forward to the comparison, I've never heard a pair of upgraded SDAs so this should be fun. I've never been a big fan of the oak tops/bottoms on my 2Bs so maybe I'll like the all black look of the studios.
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    I believe this is the description of the speakers my buddy has - as described by the original owner he bought them from.

"No dings, dents, scratches, smudges or rounded corners on the cabinets. All MW drivers and passive radiators are original with perfect butyl rubber surrounds. Please see pics and read entire description.

Up for your consideration is a pair of Polk Audio SDA-2B speakers. They have been fully upgraded with high-quality parts to the SDA-2BTL performance level. They have never been abused and are in excellent condition. I am the original owner. They have had the following modifications and upgrades done to them:

- The crossovers were re-done with new Clarity Cap capacitors and Mills resistors.

- The air core inductors were replaced with new low DC resistance Erse Super Q inductors to enhance the low frequency response. These add depth, control and clarity to the speakers' low frequency sound reproductions at low, mid and high volumes.

- The SL-2000 tweeters were replaced with new Polk Audio RD-0198 tweeters.

- The fiberboard speaker base pedestals were removed and replaced with extremely stable solid oak ones.

- Brass/copper composite spikes were installed into the new oak pedestals for incredible speaker stability and speaker isolation (de-coupling from the floor). These are essential for anyone who is serious about lifelike speaker sound reproduction - tighter bass, more lively mids. The spikes are adjustable so the speakers can be leveled on uneven floors. They work perfectly for carpeted or solid (hardwood or tile, etc.) flooring. For solid flooring, simply use inexpensive and easy-to-find speaker spike pads.

- Dynamat Xtreme sound deadener was applied to all the midwoofer driver and passive radiator metal baskets to eliminate their unwanted resonance.

- Steel Driver and Passive Radiator Support Rings were installed. These rings are mounted inside of the speaker cabinets flush with the inside of the speaker baffle. They allow new machine screws to be screwed-in more tightly and evenly forming a more uniform and perfect seal between the drivers and passive radiators and the speaker baffles. These also eliminate the possibility of stripping out the wood screws that are used by the manufacturer.

- Tweeter Support Brackets were installed. These are braces similar to and with the same effect as the support rings above except these are used on the tweeters.

- Sonic Barrier cabinet damping material was added to the inside backs of the speaker cabinets behind the midwoofer drivers and the tweeters. This absorbs unwanted interior cabinet sound waves.

- New Driver/Passive Radiator/Binding Post Cup Gaskets were installed to improve the seal for airtight speaker cabinets.

- All midwoofer driver magnets were epoxied to decrease any likelihood of the magnets shifting and locking up the voice coils.

- New Vampire Binding Posts - BPHEX model - (Copper directly plated with Gold) - two pairs - were installed in place of the stock ones. They provide better conduction and the ability to attach speaker cables terminated with either spades or banana plugs very firmly.

- New Cardas Binding Posts - CCGR model - (heavy billet copper with Silver plating and Rhodium flash) were installed in place of the stock (pin-blade) interconnect cable sockets. This allows you to use a much higher quality interconnect cable with banana or spade terminations.

- A new interconnect cable was made using high quality banana connectors and a heavier gauge speaker cable.

- All interior speaker cabinet seams were resealed to eliminate any air leaks.

In total, that's more than $650.00 in upgrade/modification parts alone, excluding any cost of the speakers ($1150 in 1990) themselves. Also not included is the additional shipping/handling and tax charges that came with the acquiring of many of these parts, nor the costs of gathering any of the parts that were obtained locally or anything for the (huge!) amount of labor that went into doing the upgrades.

And, last but not least, they sound absolutely phenomenal at any desired volume! They play extremely well and nicely revealing in the settings of "background music" as well as at levels that you can feel the bass in the middle of your chest! They also pull double duty as fronts in your surround sound home theater system and in your high-end 2-channel setup with ease. If you're looking for SDAs specifically, you're likely aware of the "SDA Effect", the excellent imaging and the lifelike very wide and deep soundstage these speakers produce. These won't let you down there! This pair was made in late 1989, one of the latest dates for the SDA-2Bs"
  • F1nut
    Options
    From a financial position, you would be getting a great deal as all those mods are not exactly cheap.

My original SDA's were a pair of black 2B Studios, which I upgraded to TL's along with all the other tweaks including Larry's rings and the Dreadnought. They are vastly superior to the stock version. My father has them now and loves them.

President of Club Polk

• TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I would trade for his in a heartbeat. I also would not do a side by side listening comparison. Load them quick and burn rubber leaving before he changes his mind after hearing the non-modded ones.

Or do the comparison, keep the friendship, and leave with your speakers now knowing what you are missing.

Kidding you. In all seriousness though the modified SDA's should be quite a step up from stock. Listen with the lights out if you don't like the look.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• ambiophonics
    Options
    Haha, well priority one is keeping the friendship! If nothing else it should be fun to compare the two models and knock back a couple beers in the process.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Sounds like a no brainer.
    "Brass/copper composite spikes were installed into the new oak pedestals for incredible speaker stability and speaker isolation (de-coupling from the floor)"
    The absolute opposite of what spikes do. Why this fallacy continues I'll never know.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    I saw that too - seemed backwards.
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    Enjoy the tunes; enjoy the beer, and let us know what you decide!

Either way, it does not seem that you can lose.

Cheers! :)

• Mystery
    Options
    Your friend is a fool to swap them with yours and you'll be a fool as well if you don't swap. ;)
    That's a lot of upgrades. I'd have done it long time back.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    What am I missing here? Why is this such a lop sided trade? Your friend quite obviously knows audio and is more than likely a member here given all those mods that he's done. This just doesn't add up to me; swapping a fully modded pair for an unmodded pair because he likes the end caps? Does your friend owe you money or a huge favor?
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    Probably wants to do the same to the other. He may like the others better-as lots around here do also..
    Randy/Maine
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    With some basic carpentry skills, you can make the studio monitor look exactly like the regular production model
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • bugsnt
    bugsnt Posts: 77
    Options
    You are getting the scales tipped in your favor and I really mean in your favor.
    Your friend must owe your one for sure.
  • Mystery
    Options
    What am I missing here? Why is this such a lop sided trade? Your friend quite obviously knows audio and is more than likely a member here given all those mods that he's done. This just doesn't add up to me; swapping a fully modded pair for an unmodded pair because he likes the end caps? Does your friend owe you money or a huge favor?
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Probably wants to do the same to the other. He may like the others better-as lots around here do also..

Read OP's post.
    His friend didn't do the upgrades but the person he bought them from did so his friend may not be aware of how expensive and time consuming the upgrades are.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options

Read OP's post.
    His friend didn't do the upgrades but the person he bought them from did so his friend may not be aware of how expensive and time consuming the upgrades are. [/quote]

He got that upgrade quote from his friend so the friend obviously read it. That's a pretty well written document along with $$ figures to back up those mods. Imo something just does not add up here. I wish I could be so lucky to be offered a lopsided deal of that caliber as do all of us here I'm betting.
  • Mystery
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yes he read it alright but doesn't seem to get it or the swap would not be even in the consideration.
    Unless he only cares about the top bottom wood end caps instead of sound.

• ambiophonics
    ambiophonics Posts: 719
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My friend fell in love with SDAs after hearing mine setup in his living room earlier this year. He doesn't really listen to them in a technical way, just background music while he works around the house, in fact there is no way to ideally position them in his room. Anyway, there is a bit more to the trade than I explained in my original post as I have a guitar/steel amp that he would take to sweeten the deal. This isn't a cash deal but we do both understand the value of the speakers and the modifications done to them. That wasn't really the point of starting this thread though as our main concern is about enjoying these speakers. He just thinks that the mods done to his speakers may not be that important to him and the way he listens and he does prefer the look of my speakers. The current plan is for me to go over Saturday with my 2Bs and we will compare them to his speakers. If he is happy with the sound of my speakers, and I'm happy with how his modified speakers sound we'll do the swap!
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Options
    Sounds like a no brainer.
    "Brass/copper composite spikes were installed into the new oak pedestals for incredible speaker stability and speaker isolation (de-coupling from the floor)"
    The absolute opposite of what spikes do. Why this fallacy continues I'll never know.

This depends on the spike itself and the surface it sits on.
    Spikes are generally considered couplers but in some situations can actually be used to de-couple.

a good explanation i have found in the past is here;
    http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/whitepaper/Genesis_Loudspeaker_Coupling_Decoupling.pdf

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    I've been wondering that too - I think they came from the Minnesota area but I'm not sure.
  • boston1450
    Options
    Im missing a pair of SDA's. Please return them :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    I hope everything works out for you & your friend.
    Randy/Maine