Long shot . . Anyone familiar with Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Elipsa Bookshelf or Salk Silk?

Options
The Cremona is available locally for about 1/2 MSRP and Salk Silk are about a G-note more. Local, too. It must be coming-up on Christmas!

Both are bookies and Silk has recently been "voted" Best Loudspeaker in the World
by Audiocircle May, just Maybe a little bias . . . nah!

Anywho, anyone have an experience with a shoot out Or not, ever heard one or the other.

I'm gonna listen soon, at least to the Silk as Salk is close, very close. Ann Arbor not so much. But not too far either. I can couple the trip with a stop at Zingermans Deli, yeah Buddy!

Thoughts?

SF

http://www.paragonsns.com/product/sonus-faber-cremona-auditor-elipsa-maple-speakers/?utm_source=Dec15+Specials+2014&utm_campaign=Dec15Specials&utm_medium=email

Salk

http://salksound.com/silk - home.htm
AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Haven't heard either exact speaker, but I have heard both brands in different lines.

The thing about SF, aside from their outstanding looks, is at first listen you may be thinking whats so special, but they draw you in, like Musical Fidelity gear. They have a tonal quality that's very musical. The longer you listen, the longer you WANT to listen. That's a trade mark of a good speaker in my book.

....and I love the Salk sound too. A tad different, more robust, but something you need to get an ear on to determine if it's right for you. Listen to both, associated gear will play, should play in to your decision. Off the top of my head though, all things being equal, for the money, hard to pass on the SF in my book.

BTW...SF and tubes....like PB&J.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Thanks guys.

This is an after xmas purchase choice that may not come to fruition. Maybe not until spring/summer as Silks are always available and never discounted, unless buying lightly used and the SF seem to be in stock & in mild abundance at Paradigm in Ann Arbor (2 models available, links in the OP).

The last link I offered on the SF INCLUDED stands, very nice.

This bookies are a 2015 consideration, But WAIT, I've got another thread to post in a couple of weeks as I'm trading in my SALK Song Towers for the Veracity HT2-TLs

I'm upping the ante to Raal ribbons. I've never heard ribbons in my home &
    I never thought in a million, that I'd opt for 2-ways over 3s, but these really are sweet sounding and i just hope they deliver in MY system. The Song Towers are also 2-way and sound great . . . but like everything, there are trade offs and there's just something lacking in the Towers (compared to perfection, of course) . . . .

It'll be sad to see the Song Towers go cuz the fit/finish/paint job is soo top notch!

Merry New Year!!!!!!!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tonyb
    Options
    All of Salks speakers are top notch in their respective price categories. You'll need some power for those HT2-TL'S.....4ohm 86 efficient.

Why bookies though when your about to scoop up new towers ? Skip makes a good point also....lots of great sounding bookies in that price range. We all like what we like too and if the Salk sound blows your sack back, roll with it.

I might suggest too, once the new towers are in place, run them full range on music with no sub in the mix, get a feel for their capabilities first. The bass will be much better over the Song Towers anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    All of Salks speakers are top notch in their respective price categories. You'll need some power for those HT2-TL'S.....4ohm 86 efficient.

Why bookies though when your about to scoop up new towers ?

I might suggest too, once the new towers are in place, run them full range on music with no sub in the mix, get a feel for their capabilities first. The bass will be much better over the Song Towers anyway.

Most likely I wont be going down bookie avenue. But when you hear something like Best Loudspeaker in the World, it makes you wonder . . .

Me thinks I've got the power issue coverred. My siggy is a little in accurate, as I still have the Adcom 5802 so I can fall back on SS if the tubed amps I picked up over the summer don't cut the mustard. I just installed 8 new KT-180 output tubes in my Rogue M-180s and it sounds very good.

p.s. I still have the Aleph, too. but she's been decommission. A very capable lower powered class A amp. Keep your eyes on the FS column
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tonyb
    Options
    The Rogue's will do just fine...and sound fine. As far as "best speaker in the world" goes, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that one...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    If you won't be going down the bookshelf path, might I suggest getting ears on a set of Magnepan MG 3.7's? Top to bottom, one of the very best speakers I have yet heard.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Looks like most speakers need a lot of space to fully deliver.
    :angry:
    Why can't they have equalizer like the one that comes with McIntosh ML-1c so we can place them anywhere, close to wall, away from wall, high from floor, on the floor etc... :disappointed:

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Mystery wrote: »
    Looks like most speakers need a lot of space to fully deliver.
    :angry:
    :

No not most, but big floorstanders do. Right tool for the right job.

Equalization ?? PFFT....keep it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    Options
    If you won't be going down the bookshelf path, might I suggest getting ears on a set of Magnepan MG 3.7's? Top to bottom, one of the very best speakers I have yet heard.

Thanks, good suggestion. There's a boutique Hi Fi shop near by that carries that. I'll check them out!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Most likely I wont be going down bookie avenue. But when you hear something like Best Loudspeaker in the World, it makes you wonder . . .

I take they were referring to monitors and not floor standers. Besides, the best monitor is the Joseph Audio Pulsar.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zeppage2
    zeppage2 Posts: 196
    Options
    Those Elipsa's are intended to be used as surrounds. However this review does suggest that they are more than adequate as 'fronts'.

hifinews.co.uk/news/article/sonus-faber-cremona-auditor-elipsa-pound;2498/9478/
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited December 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

I take they were referring to monitors and not floor standers. Besides, the best monitor is the Joseph Audio Pulsar.

I beg to differ! Wait, no I don't. Carry on.

It hurts just thinking about the Element Millennium speakers.

http://www.stereomojo.com/Element Millennium Speaker Review/ElementMillenniumSpeakerReview.htm
  • tonyb
    Options
    I dunno, after reading the review I wasn't all that keen on them. The Pulsars as stated, I would think would be the more desirable speaker.

Speaking of bookies, where's Ernie with any follow up on his ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Yes, sir . . . Monitors
    I never had a chance to get my ears on ****. Sure would like to now!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Yes, sir . . . Monitors
    I never had a chance to get my ears on ****. Sure would like to now!

Great entertainment to see what the forum software censors. How dare you, GlennDog. :D
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • GlennDog
    Options
    I posted the acronym of Joseph Audio Pulsar, apparently unacceptable with the recent anniversary of December 7, 1941 and the current administration
    WTF
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tonyb
    Options
    It's the 3rd grade PC world we live in....and now converse in. I was screened for saying f-a-r-t the other day.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's