Subwoofer management

Options
I am running a Yamaha RX-A1010 as a preamp to my Emotiva XPA-2 which power the Polk RTi-A9 towers. I made my subs with Dayton Ultimax 12's, SPA-1000, and PWK enclosure design. Is there anyway to dial in the parametric equalizers. I don't know much in this aspect but, I want to run them where they won't distort. They can demolish the house at -10 setting on my Yamaha but, I want to set them up properly. Any help with parametric EQ settings would be great and how to tell what to set them at too?

Comments

• JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just a little more detail is needed. How many UM12s are you running? Are they all in one spot, or in various locations around the room?

Honestly, the PEQ in those amps is fodder compared to the power of a DSP. Let me show you the best $ you'll spend on your system:
    1. Find a local retailer that has a Behringer FBQ2496 or order one online,
    2. Download Room EQ Wizard, and read up on how to use it,
    3. You'll need a microphone for REW to listen to your system and adjust the FBQ2496. You can purchase RadioShack's digital SPL meter and an RCA-to-1/4" cable to connect it with the FBQ. Keep in mind that most inexpensive meters will have a small margin of error, and typically the included manual will have correction values.
    4. Lastly, a USB-to-MIDI interface cable to connect your computer to the FBQ. There are various inexpensive offerings on Amazon, eBay, etc, or expect to probably pay ~40 in a brick/mortar store like Guitar Center.

Alternatively, you can just buy the SPL meter, play sine waves for hours as you chart them in Excel, and keep tweaking over, and over, and over, until you've lost your friggin mind, trying to get a flat response out of a single-band equalizer.

Personally, I'd treat myself to some whiskey or craft brew while your computer does all the hard work.

Cheers.

P.S- it's late, so I apologize if I'm missing something here.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    MiniDSP.... Same concept w/ microphone and REW. Software programmable and good stuff....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    Options
    See? I'm getting old when it comes to this stuff, lol
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JimAckley wrote: »
    See? I'm getting old when it comes to this stuff, lol

LOL... nah...

Though Jim the MiniDSP may be something you want if you're using something else. Its a bit cheaper (115 for the device + the software plugin which you download).

You will need to buy the UMIK mic though, which is another 70 so your in for less than 200 all said and done.

Info here:

The miniDSP 2x4 in a box is a flexible pocket size DSP processor with 2 x analog IN, 4 x analog OUT. Combined with a plug-in software for programming, one can configure the on board Audio processing filters real time from a PC or Mac environment. Once the board configured, the device operates standalone and doesn't require a computer anymore. For more information on potential applications, please check the application section of our website.
    Technical Specifications

- 28/56bit DSP Engine
    - 24 bit ADC/DAC resolution
    - 48kHz sampling rate
    - Unbalanced inputs switchable with a jumper between 0.9Vrms and 2Vrms
    - Unbalanced outputs: Max 0.9Vrms
    - Digital Audio input/outputs via I2S
    - Nichicon Muse Audiophile capacitors
    - Volume control by potentiometer on 3pin header
    - 5pin, 2.54mm pitch header for panel mount USB connector
    - Plug&Play USB driver and real time Software configuration using miniDSP plug-ins
    - Device does not required a PC once configured
    - USB self powered device and wide range of DC power options (4.5 to 24VDC)

@lineberryw‌, check out my thread here, specifically the graphs I posted. Those are REW sweeps before and during correction. I was able to dial in my setup quite nicely with a custom EQ filter created using REW sweeps from the main listening position that were then imported into the MiniDSP software to create custom corrections for my setup. This is a much better solution to making sure your subs and speakers blend well.

REW and the MiniDSP software takes a little work to learn how to set it up, but once you've done it once its very easy. Detailed information on REW here.

REW also lets you dial in not ONLY your sub, but you can see how placement affects your fronts as well. There is also a way to use REW to graph EACH of your speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup so you can play with best placement options for them all. Info on that here.

If nothing else the UMIK mic would be good to help you see how the Parametric EQ changes you makin on your sub amps are affecting your overall setup. But for the price (~200) its hard to go wrong. Especially since you are a DIY guy using the MiniDSP you can EQ (using REW to graph stuff) up to 4 subs from 2 channels (use a Y splitter on your sub out if you only have one) .

I could go on for a long time about the MiniDSP but let me just say its a VERY nice cheap EQ for your setup that allows some serious flexibility when paired with an appropriate USB mic and REW (which is free I might add).

I will be buying a balanced MiniDSP to help me dial in stereo subs in my other room that are using a pro amp, and the one I have will be used with MY dayton sa-1000 plate amp and the sub I am hoping to finish building shortly.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)