Pioneer SA-500/TX-500 Project

2»

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,143
    edited May 2016
    Thanks Skip, <3 u 2 :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• tonybtonyb Posts: 27,621
    Man, you guys have the patience of Saints, along with fantastic DIY skills. That looks too darn good Jess, excellent job.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • boston1450boston1450 Posts: 5,876
    Looks great. So-How does it sound when hooked to speakers ? :)
    Randy - Maine
    CRS+ TL'd 198 tweets
    RTA15 TL'd198 tweets
    All TL upgrades thanks to WMG
    Cs1000p - MIT speaker cables
    Sounds nice. I've got a pair of modded Pioneer 22's hooked up.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• msgmsg Posts: 3,408
    edited June 2016
    (nm; late to the party)
    Post edited by msg on
    I decided I didn't like the tiered Pioneer emblem support, so I changed it to this, which I like a lot better. Not surprisingly, the sound quality didn't change.

on7wkkpbj2y9.jpg

• footwedgefootwedge Posts: 474
    Guess I missed this thread until now. Love me some vintage pioneers. My '80 SX 880 is rocking my garage. You have some serious skills and she looks beautiful.
    2-Channel Office room
    Marantz SA8004> Joule Electra LA 150MII > B&K 200.2 > LSIM 703's
    Douglas Alpha ic's, MIT T2
    Need - room treatments, dedicated 20 amp circuits
    Looking for - new speakers and amp

HT/ 2 Channel Living room
    Samsung 65KS8000FXZA
    Pioneer SC 27
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A23
    Oppo BDP 103
    Uverse DVR
    LSIM 703
    LSIM 704c
    LCI60's
    Velodyne EQ-Max 15
  • xschopxschop Posts: 634
    Very Clean and classy look. I'm glad I found this area of forum to get some ideas. I acquired a Qx949 yesterday and want to install new LEDs and machine taller billet feet. Do all the old pioneer units have the same type fuse lamps? And where do we geta set?
  • RicardoRicardo Posts: 10,464
    Impressive work Jesse. Hats off.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
    xschop wrote: »
    Very Clean and classy look. I'm glad I found this area of forum to get some ideas. I acquired a Qx949 yesterday and want to install new LEDs and machine taller billet feet. Do all the old pioneer units have the same type fuse lamps? And where do we geta set?

I'm not familiar with that piece. Are you sure it has fuse type lamps as some use the bayonet type.

Regardless, you can contact Don at deh12110@yahoo.com for replacement LED versions. He'll know what goes in yours. He doesn't always answer emails right away, but he will get back to you.

Ok thanks F1. Ill send him request and tell him you sent me.
    On bracket shims you can start with oversize flat bar and mill/flycut to tolerance then bend in vice. The pic of that uJoint looks just like an old BMW steering shaft joint.
    You have the machines required to make such things as the "L" bracket, I don't. ;)

That plastic coupling was a project saver. The standard coupling is a non-flexible brass tube, piece of junk. I tried a flexible metal coupling first, but the plastic version works better.

You can also weld the proper shim washer that are widely available to a lower steel bracket. Not as clean-looking, but no milling required.

On a side note, what is the height of those stacked units?
    With the aftermarket feet, which are taller than the stock junk, the stack is just under 9" high.

That's the width of a 5jr. That would be a sweet looking combo...sounding as well I Imagine.
  • K_MK_M Posts: 938
    Looks great..awesome work!
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

• K_MK_M Posts: 938
    edited February 14
    What era is this stuff from?

We have an old Pioneer a SX-780 receiver, think from about 1978-1980, sitting somewhere, and it is fairly similar looking.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

Circa 1969/1970.

F1, what kind/type wire do you use to solder between gold RCA pin and PCB?
    Thanks
    I reused the stock wire.

Guess I should have asked what to replace with if upgrading those wires?
    Upgrading them would been a major PITA as they run all over the place in very tight quarters and most are wire wrap connections. However, I did upgrade the binding post wire because it was a joke.

Are you looking to do your Yamaha? If so, you'll need to consider what gauge wire will fit before choosing the brand.

Here's what the underside looks like.

j0i79xmdbk54.jpg

I plan on doing my classic Akai soon. First I might practice on the shop CD player. It has metal prong/housing the RCAs that's why I asked about wire. I have some 18g multistrand OFC that looks like the right diameter to solder in the pin and PCB.
    Right, I'm sure you'll do fine.

2»