Forum Alternatives

Options
While I personally still don't have issues with this new format, there's no doubt that we've lost the involvement and even some members from the old forum. I didn't really notice as much until recently or maybe I just didn't want to because I didn't believe people would actually leave because of a forum change, but activity has certainly fallen off.

So, where did everyone go, is everybody more active someplace else or did this whole community we had built up just die? I know there was a polkarmy forum at some point but that seems dead. I believe there have been other attempts as well but not sure where those stand.

As much as Polk is responsible for getting me into audio and as much as I appreciate them hosting a forum all these years, I'm not necessarily a loyal 'Polkie' as much these days. This forum has been great, but it's more about the relationships at this point for me than it is the Polk branding.

If it makes sense and there's interest I could build out a forum for us to use, but seems like that's been tried and didn't catch on, either that or I missed it.

What do you guys think? Where has everyone gone? Any interest in a new forum? What the hell is going on around here?

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    I'm with you Skip and the new format doesn't bother me as much, but apparently it does others and we've lost a lot of activity. Regardless of format a forum is only is good as its people and threads.

Ideally what I'd like is to recreate what we had with the old forum, including the people and posts but I suppose that's unrealistic.

I have to say that I thought guys like Jesse overreacted initially with the change, but ultimately they were right about the participation dropping off and that's just a damn shame.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I think Polk failed to realize just how many one post wonders the forum had. They come in and ask one or two questions then their gone for years. Yet the ones sticking around, answering those questions are the ones least catered to. Yeah, sounds like a good business plan huh ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    As of this moment, there are 11 members online and 14 guests. What does that say? I'm not sure... I've learned so much and made so many friends here, sad that it seems to be circling the drain....
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    That is precisely why I created the forum when I did, but it takes everyone getting the memo and actually switching over. Either way, the avenue is there, it just needs to be utilized.

The PolkArmy forum is also alive.

If your talking about the forum I think you are it was audiomilitia but it's now the Audio Pub but the url reflects the old name.

It's somewhat dead as well although I do VERY MUCH enjoy the chat box option there so you can just shoot the ****.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    I'm not exactly an "old timer" here, but in the couple of years or so that I have participated I have enjoyed both reading and posting. Above all, I've really benefitted from the knowledge and experience of the real experts that seemed to always be online and always willing to help.

Without this Forum, when I tried to use newly purchased monoblocks with my SRS 1.2s, I would have been "dead in the water." But the Dreadnought came to my rescue.

Whenever possible, I've tried to give back to others on the Forum, but I'm the first to admit that I have far less to offer than many others.

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed -- and been disturbed by -- the apparently dramatic drop in the number and regularity of many formerly very active participants.

I hope it will come back -- and soon.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm spending way more time on football-type message boards, but I don't know what I'll do once football season is over.

As Skip said, I find it hard to leave here, but it's kind of hard to stay as well. If I check in at 10:00 in the morning and then again at 3:00 in the afternoon, there are very few new posts. It used to be that if I checked in at those two times I'd have plenty of new posts to check out.

It was nice to see Ron and John post in the "Toughest day..." thread. I haven't seen either of those guys on here in a while.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    I see no point in contributing anymore since Polk seems to just not give a **** anymore, so I still come around almost daily, hoping for a change, but just haven't seen it. I think the damage is already done anyway.

I tried to visit the polkarmy site a few weeks ago, but thought it was down - link?
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2014
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I see no point in contributing anymore since Polk seems to just not give a **** anymore, so I still come around almost daily, hoping for a change, but just haven't seen it. I think the damage is already done anyway.

I tried to visit the polkarmy site a few weeks ago, but thought it was down - link?

The PolkArmy doro started has been shuttered. This are the options

AudioPub (The site John started and TonyB and I are moderators of) http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

In addition to audio talk and a chat window, There are hidden sections for politics and guns should that be your thing. You must click an option you want to see those sections, so it won't show up for those of you not interested in seeing it in your view.

We also have a section for cars and sports talk.

AudioSnob (skips site)
    http://audiosnob.boards.net

100% audio talk. I believe skip is the lone admin/moderator

Both sites use the same format (modified slighty at each site) so it's easy to switch back and forth and not have to relearn anything.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    thanks
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • tonyb
    edited November 2014
    Options
    [

AudioPub (The site John started and TonyB and I are moderators of) http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Wait now, hold the phone....I'm a mod over there ? Was someone going to tell me...lol.

First I post like a coked up crazy man, earn 5 stars....a general, then you took away my stars. Now I'm a mod ? Ha.....I want my stars back chief....lmao.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    Why do we have two sites? Are either of those very active?
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    [

Wait now, hold the phone....I'm a mod over there ? Was someone going to tell me...lol.

First I post like a coked up crazy man, earn 5 stars....a general, then you took away my stars. Now I'm a mod ? Ha.....I want my stars back chief....lmao.

LOL.... sorry about the stars man lol...

You've been a mod since day 1 lol, thought John told you.....

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Heck...it's all the different opinions on here that get me to come back...once in a while I'll chime in on something...this forum is cool..goes from politics...to pictures..to music..to audio...never a dull moment here...that's a thumbs up to all the characters that post .....
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    Agreed on the damage is already done..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    While damage has certainly been done I believe it's not too late to reverse it. All Polk needs to do is go back to the vBulletin format and act like they care. This forum has been a fantastic marketing tool. Al Ballard had a stroke of genius when he launched the Polk forum. It grew from humble beginnings to be one of, if not the best and most successful audio forums. One of the reasons for that is Al and the good folks at Polk showed they cared, they tried to make the members feel like they were a part of something. They realized that we, the members, were a better marketing tool than a lot of other options and it worked. We, the members, were responsible for getting scores and scores of people to buy Polk products and when they bought those products they would come back here and get even more people to buy Polk products. Sadly, the current owners don't get it and it's costing them dearly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tophatjohnny
    Options
    As of this moment, there are 11 members online and 14 guests. What does that say? I'm not sure... I've learned so much and made so many friends here, sad that it seems to be circling the drain....

The friends you have made should still be just that! I too have made some friends, one in Mass that is like family to me and one locally that has been like a brother to me as well. Ken S. has been very good to me and sure has made me feel welcome, and so many members here have also been so great to me. If a change in format detours one, (to me) it just shows a shallow side of that individual. The brains of the forum are still here and going gangbusters, so all in all, this forum is still the #1 Audio forum on the planet. Ya see, it's not the format and program, it's the members, and you, yeah you members that are sticking it out and not whining and complaining, are what makes this just that!! I'm not mush help, so doubt I'll be hanging around much longer (I know, I know that makes some of you sad..lol) but I'll always check in from time to time. My system is tweaked just fine now, I am not chasing my tail any longer, just ripping away and loving all that I hear, Thanks to all that have helped me get this together, mostly to westmasguy, deronb1, Ken S. oldfatdogs,teekya (my brother from another mother) Tonyb, cincicat, and all that have posted such great info. Glad to have been made feel welcome and Happy Holidays to all here. God Bless!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I think that a bigger reason than the format for fewer people showing up is the changed URL. I used to enjoy googling for info on a particular audio topic and finding related discussions on the Polk forum, in large part because I "knew" the people engaged in the discussion and could evaluate their thoughts from an informed perspective. While I've never been a huge contributor to the forum, I have lurked consistently over the years and jumped in from time to time. The now dead links are frustrating and a loss to the entire Internet community, not soley the regular users of his forum.

Clearly a large public corporation (DEI Holdings) bought Polk for their own reasons, and like all public companies must make decisions based on revenues and expenses over the next month, next quarter, next budget year, etc. This is a consistant pattern in today's America when a company is sold by the founder (and in many cases the founder's heirs). The new company's management brings their own culture and view of what it takes to succeed, and pressure to grow the revenues and/or reduce the expenses ("synergy") in order to recoup the investment are vastly more persuasive than the voices of a few old loyal customers.

I suspect someone within the organization has determined that social media like Facebook is the place to attract a newly defined and sought demographic, and a bunch of grouchy aging hobbyists don't really matter as much to the future bottom line.

I hope that I am wrong. The people I've met from Polk have been universally wonderful, and I have nothing but gratitude and respect for them and Polk Audio. However, Polk Audio is no longer an independent entity, and it remains to be seen what that means to its long-term future.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Outstanding post BigDawg, and more than likely right on the money!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    edited November 2014
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    We, the members, were responsible for getting scores and scores of people to buy Polk products and when they bought those products they would come back here and get even more people to buy Polk products. Sadly, the current owners don't get it and it's costing them dearly.

Agreed, another benefit is that the members also promoted brand loyalty. People who would move up the chain in the various lines of Polk products. Least until their wallets and tastes dictate they move higher up outside the brand.

Yet another benefit is that type of marketing that happens on the forum is....free. However, Big Dawg above has a good handle on the process which happens in corporate culture.

What a lot of corporations still don't get, or don't know how to, is have a relationship with their customers. Business is all about relationships, as is life in general. It has been people like Helen in CS, Ken or AL, ...heck I remember a time when you could get a response from Matt Polk himself.

Today, you can still call companies like Bat....talk to Victor but you may have to brush up on your Russian. Call Legacy and talk to Bill, call PBN and talk to Peter, talk directly to Frank at Signal cable or Joe Abrams for MIT cables...Jim over at Saulk speakers. Just a few examples, but people want that personal relationship, makes them feel like more than just a number or a color on a pie chart. Those are the types of companies that will have staying power imho.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's kind of a snowballing problem. I still check in multiple times a day, but with so much less activity, there's not as much for me to chime in on, so I don't post as often. I'm not posting less out of objection to the new format, even though I don't care for it. It's really sad.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • tonyb
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Why do we have two sites? Are either of those very active?

I didn't want any part of a forum where politics is discussed openly.

As opposed to whispered under one's breath ? Eh, to each his own but it is refreshing to take the chains off if you so desire. I'm a proponent of free speech...to an extent of civility of course. Most of our lives revolve around more than just audio, or at least it should anyway, so it is refreshing to talk about anything over there.

After all, audio can be just as confrontational as politics. Haven't we seen that already ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    mikeyb wrote: »
    I have been around this forum for a little over 5 years now, yes I have a low post count, but I like to read and learn. I have been on here almost every night reading, some nights 2 hours has flown by and its 1 in the morning. I haven't been able to do this with other forums. And if it wasn't for this forum and its knowledgeable members I never would have found out about svs, or oppo players. I never would have been able to mod my lsi's or find out how much of a difference power and speaker cable can affect my system. I'm shocked the amount of info that has gone missing, the vintage section on the website is gone, and the lack of interesting topics is dwindling. wtf polk? I find this kind of depressing! Even if one day I sell my polks, I will still be here reading and learning, this was one of the best audio forums on the internet. I hope the older members can help jump start this mess back to life....

Very well put Mikey :) I completely agree and fill the same!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyb
    Options
    Kind sentiments there gents, and believe me when I say all the old timers appreciate that you appreciate the forum.

The forum has always been about helping one another...and helping people expand their horizons in audio. Trying to keep people from wasting coin or making bad decisions, saving coin, while putting them in the realm of good sound.....and we do all that with a family type of atmosphere you don't get on a lot of other forums. That and we try to have fun too as best we can be allowed to anyway. The present state of the forum though has been diminished some from the old, replaced with "like" buttons, scrapped useful info and the system showcase. What can you do though ? Deaf ears are still deaf no matter how loud you scream.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Not being able to google old Polk threads and posts about certain topics is a bummer and a real "disservice" to the customer base!

One thing is true: if you open an ICE CREAM shop and the ONLY flavor you OFFER your customers is Vanilla, you'll be out of business before you can serve your first customer!

Vanilla? Really? Now, that's funny! And it's not even PC!

So you "sanitize" a site by making it more bland, less volatile and apolitical? Kind of like food for those who don't have any "teeth" left, don't you think? I don't know about you guys, but I don't mind a good steak or some ribs, now and then! I say this new forum has put us on a Gerber diet!

x114czgyij5z.jpg

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tonyb
    Options
    A Gerber diet.....love it ! Goes right along with the Fisher-Price analogy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    [so doubt I'll be hanging around much longer (I know, I know that makes some of you sad..lol) but I'll always check in from time to time.

Not sure exactly what that means THJ. Why wouldn't you hang around more ? You've certainly come along way since joining and others may benefit from your experiences. That's what forums are all about, people with experiences and sharing knowledge.

Granted, audio is one of those things that you can keep learning too. Nobody knows it all, but the beauty of audio is you don't have to. If all the old members here decided they came and got what they wanted then skipped town, where would that leave the forum ?

I dunno man, maybe I'm just reading too much into your statement.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ratster
    ratster Posts: 324
    Options
    mikeyb wrote: »
    I have been around this forum for a little over 5 years now, yes I have a low post count, but I like to read and learn. I have been on here almost every night reading, some nights 2 hours has flown by and its 1 in the morning. I haven't been able to do this with other forums. And if it wasn't for this forum and its knowledgeable members I never would have found out about svs, or oppo players. I never would have been able to mod my lsi's or find out how much of a difference power and speaker cable can affect my system. I'm shocked the amount of info that has gone missing, the vintage section on the website is gone, and the lack of interesting topics is dwindling. wtf polk? I find this kind of depressing! Even if one day I sell my polks, I will still be here reading and learning, this was one of the best audio forums on the internet. I hope the older members can help jump start this mess back to life....

My sentiments exactly.
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    CA music streamer
    marantz 6005
    Clear Day dbl.shotgun
    Morrow Xlr
    1.7 Maggies

Bedroom
    adcom Gfp750
    Adcom 555
    Rotel 1072
    CA tuner
    LsiM703
    Clear day dbl shotgun
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    While damage has certainly been done I believe it's not too late to reverse it. All Polk needs to do is go back to the vBulletin format and act like they care. This forum has been a fantastic marketing tool. Al Ballard had a stroke of genius when he launched the Polk forum. It grew from humble beginnings to be one of, if not the best and most successful audio forums. One of the reasons for that is Al and the good folks at Polk showed they cared, they tried to make the members feel like they were a part of something. They realized that we, the members, were a better marketing tool than a lot of other options and it worked. We, the members, were responsible for getting scores and scores of people to buy Polk products and when they bought those products they would come back here and get even more people to buy Polk products. Sadly, the current owners don't get it and it's costing them dearly.

couldn't of said it better pal..

• krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    Options
    I've been coming to this forum for years..2004?..most people don't know me because I don't post a lot and I don't really help that much...cause other people know TONS more than me. I can't even remember why I started coming here in the first place! I bought some RT800i's off EBAY and the rest is history. In fact I still use those as my main speakers. I was then persuaded to get the CS400i center speaker and FX500i surrounds. I think I even learned about SVS subs from this forum. I've had all of those speakers for 10 years and they have worked flawlessly ever since. Other than the CS400i and SVS sub, the rest was bought sight unseen used. I think I even bought my old Pioneer Elite receiver with member recommendations. I recently upgraded to a newer model Elite. Compared to most of the other members on this forum, my setup is pretty tame, but compared to most people I know, my system kicks ****!

recently I've even commented on political comments and nobody called anybody names. In fact I think TonyB and I went back and forth a couple times, and we just agree to disagree.. Being a member that nobody really knows, I almost expected to get savaged for arguing with TonyB...it couldn't have been farther from the truth.

I liked this place and it's sad that everybody is leaving.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Right now, there are only three people -- including me and guests (0 guests) -- on the Forum. :s
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.