Is Club Polk still around? I was a member a few yrs back but haven't used the site since.

Options
I own a pair of RTA 12Cs from the mid 80s. My amp is an ADCOM GFA 555 and the preamp is ADCOM GTP 500. I had the mid range on at least one replaced 15 yrs ago because it blew and now the same thing happened again to both possibly. Is it a problem caused by the ADCOM equipment?? Sometimes at high volume the speakers shut down. Again is this a compatibility issue. How can I test them and replace what is damaged? Thank you.

Answers

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Hi, this is the replacement to Club Polk..

As far as the speakers, are you driving them into clipping the amp??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    With the recent and regrettable format change, Club Polk is a shell of what it use to be.
    Sometimes at high volume the speakers shut down. Again is this a compatibility issue.

You're overdriving the amp causing it to send clipped signals to the speakers. Either keep the volume level lower or buy a better, more powerful amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That Adcom is pretty capable and usually VERY reliable. I'd look into having it serviced. Get someone to look at it, it's getting old and age never helps an amp.

You should not be blowing things up unless you're clipping and if you're clipping those speakers with that amp, something is UP!

As for Club Polk. Yeah, it's sorta still here but with a VERY heavy and controlling hand which perhaps even infantilizes some, or so it seems!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Jim G
    Jim G Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. I will have the equipment serviced.