"Homemade" coax cable

Options
Made a quad coax RG6 cable to go from the Oppo
to the Emo XDA-2. Should I break it in playing my
favorite song over and over or put my fav CD on repeat?

Comments

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,154
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Made a quad coax RG6 cable to go from the Oppo
    to the Emo XDA-2. Should I break it in playing my
    favorite song over and over or put ymy fav CD on repeat?

Raise it 5.374" off the floor on soapstone supports that have been rubbed between the knees of a Dali Lama, stare at it a lot and try to project positive energy. Alternatively, just have a glass of something and play some tunes.

Edit: Oohh, my 100th post, I will wear my badge with glee.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think I'll do the latter! :)
    Well, I was hoping for an improvement... :\
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    I think I'll do the latter! :)
    Well, I was hoping for an improvement... :\

That's usually the response with homemade cables....unless your starting point is coat hangers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ain't that the truth. The thread was supposed to be
    a kind of joke. As I had not even started one on the
    new site... this is all I could come up with. :p
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I did make the cable and failed however :)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,361
    Options
    I've used single ended coax RCA's for years. Stranded center core is the way to go for flexibility.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    "Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    I try to act on this every day since reading your siggy.
    Someone mystery? comment on this great coax cable to get
    which is no long manufactured... so I took a stab at my own
    as it had BNC ends. I'll search the site for suggestions...
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Necessary isn't so bad. There are alternatives of course. ;)

You can google rca coax connectors, RG59 rca coax connectors, etc. Different designs (crimp, solder, compression) and quality available.

I was sourcing these from Parts Express but I see they are no longer available there. I liked them cause they were threaded compression. Center wire is soldered to pin.

http://www.parts-express.com/gold-rca-plug-connector-for-rg-59-coax-pair--091-400

Sanders Sound sold me some RCA coax connectors that were similar to above but were of better quality. He uses them on his cables and may still sell them separate.

You can use standard RCA connectors which requires unbraiding the braided wire and twisting it into a wire end. If you cut the braid you get splinters of wire. I use a pointy tool to unbraid it. Main thing is don't cross the streams, in other words don't short to center conductor.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good lead thanks! Using the search tool and reading around it seems this is a interconnect project to nowhere. :#
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2014
    Options
    These coax RCA's came off an old Linn LP12 turntable IC. I could never find any like it. The braid is split into two leads. Good luck in your quest!

term.jpg

Duh, I forgot about Vampire terminations. I installed an entry level pair of RCA's on a friends turntable, my old Yamaha YP-D10. (Got rid of them cheap plastic ones). I did have to drill out the ends slightly for the large diameter coax Yamaha used.

vampends.jpg

These are like the ones I am using. $22.50 a pair.

imageMain_0_3.jpg

Vampire coax RCA products page.

http://www.vampirewire.com/viewcategory.php?groupid=0
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,167
    Options
    Consult with Doug @douglasconnection.com He is the most knowledgeable person I have ever talked to about cables, makes a killer product, and a great guy as well. He is also a member here.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wow! nice Vampires (and timely). Looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.
    And I'll check out the DC.com. Thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My thank you post disappeared some how.
    So thanks again for the leads!! :)