Possible WTB

Options
jdhdiggs
jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
edited February 2004 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Looking for a decent pre-amp to mate with Carver A500X and some SDA 1B's. Any ideas?

If I can't find something super reasonable, I'll drill a couple holes in my wall and use the second zone off of my HT rig.

Sorry about the screw up in the title, long day...
There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
Post edited by jdhdiggs on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Don't second zone it, do it right.

If you need some time to shop around, you can 'borrow' the Adcom SLC-505 Passive pre.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Second zone wouldn't be permanent, just a stop gap until something better fell into place and funds recovered sufficiently for something "nice".
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2004
    Options
    JD,

I Run a second zone off of my sunfire through a M-400a to a set of 2B's. It sounds great. Usually I have both of them (zones that is) going at the same time. But that is my own taste.

Sorry Russ.

Anthony
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Your sunfire is a lot nicer than my 7070 though...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2004
    Options
    2 questions for you, how are you with simple soldering?

What's the budget for your pre (for now)?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Pretty good at soldering if I have the right equipment (which I don't own). - Have a minor in EE and built a walking robot as my senior design project in college. (Lots of custom etched circuits to solder on in that POS)

Budget? Let's say under $100 maybe $150 if it were a screamin' deal. Either case I'd have to "borrow" from the house account, and I certainly wouldn't want to deal with the "noise" and "feedback" if I spent any more than that. My funds are going to the other purchases or stuck in the stock market for now.

I could also "tough it out" for a month without a pre and save the holes in my walls...

I'll add: I can solder as long as I know what goes where...
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I have a Lexicon CP1 Plus if are interested. It comes with remote control and original manual, but no original box.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2004
    Options
    You should checkout the Bottlehead Foreplay.

$149, simple, proven tube pre kit - very flexible so custom designs are REAL popular.

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/foreplay/foreplay_line_stage_kit.htm

That, or you can go 'minimalist' at look at the Luminous Audio Axiom passive :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3077721262&category=14974 (yes the auction is closed - but the seller is the maker also - and he will hook you up, great guy).

Speaking of CP1's, I may have one in the closet I got from Hoosier, you can have for free (you'll need to order the remote from Lexicon for $50). Like I said, if you need a month or so - you can BORROW the Adcom passive if you want - no problem.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Russ, if it is OK with you, I'd like to try your passive since I don't believe I've heard one before. I'm only planny to ever use a CD player with the system so the luminous looks awfully good as well.

Little more leary of the tubes and would prefer to stay away first shot out since I won't know what I'd like on the tube side.

KN/Russ
    I'll do some research on the lexicon, but for now I'd think the best move would be to try the adcom passive and move from there.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2004
    Options
    You've heard the Adcom passive, it was THE preamp in the living room at the Texas Gathering. The pre you heard with the Carver / Sunfire / Rotel amps, and the SDA CRS, RTi6, etc etc.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Never made the connection to the gathering... Too many electronics were around for me to keep track of.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2004
    Options
    The best thing about passives is that you usually DON'T hear them.

Damnit Russ, you just spoiled a deal I was going to make on an AMC 1100.
    Make it Funky! :)