Hit the 1000 Mark Last Night!! (CD's Ripped to my external HD)

Options
And believe me, it's not a numbers thing with me at all, but 1000 is a lot (so you'd think??) I am constantly remembering music from the past and then going after it and when I think I am just about done I remember more and more! The sources have been friends, friends of friends, Amazon, eBay, and my best source has been "The Library" and it's been a fun ride. My taste in Music is all over the place and then some, so this journey has been a blast. My next move (after I add a few more hundred CD's ripped will be to invest in another external HD or 2 and transfer everything in case of a chance of losing all the work I did to make it happen. Special thanks to David Shirley aka westmassguy for making this possible for me. I would not have been anywhere near this far along without him and, I have to add, David is a great person and I am proud to call him a real friend!! Thanks brother
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    I know whereof you speak! The task is time consuming and, at times frustrating.

I'm slowly ripping my CD collection to my computer (AIFF files in iTunes), then transferring them to a NAS on my home network. I have not yet figured out the most efficient way to transfer each album from iTunes to the NAS while ensuring that the album art and other metadata are correctly moved with the music information.

Congratulations! You're making much better progress than I. I've only ripped about 200 CDs to iTunes and have transferred only about 75 to the NAS.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Well done, Johnny! Now, get that hard drive backed up......before something trashes/crashes it and makes all your work go for naught! :'(

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for posting your success as it just may push me to finally go this route...
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I got about half way thru ripping my collecting again at a higher lossy setting. and had to take a major break!
    So Kudos for getting this far!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot of burning!!! I think I have about 500 burned CD's on my NAS and I thought that was a lot. And yes definitely get an external HD for backup. Mine gets automatically backed up every week whether it needs it or not.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Yes, I have these all on a Seagate 2TB external HD and the thing isn't even close to half way full?? I will be looking into another external HD (maybe 2) to transfer all the files to. It has been time consuming and I know I am not finished yet! There is no magic number, as more tunes and bands keep popping into this fried brain of mine and I say "I got to have that one", so I am on one more final search and rip month and then I am calling it quits with the ripping! At that point I'll probably add a good quality CD player so when I want to hear something I don't have , or play some bands demo, I can listen to it that way! I know I have well over 15K songs now and I am pretty content with that. Again, it's been fun and I am glad I got it almost done! If you haven't done this, it is a fun task!! Thanks for the great comments!
    THJ
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Hey Ripper, don't wear out any more CDROM drives Brother. Just let me know when you want the backup drive, and I'll get it and format it for you.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I am finding it isn't the quantity, but quality. According to the stats on my file player, I have 30 days of non-stop music, but I find I mostly listen to the same favorite songs. Yes, it is nice to tell it to random shuffle through all those tunes, but when I need musical uplifting I return to the same tunes. And, I have about 200 unopened CDs waiting to be ripped.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    Ah, I remember when I first hit the 1000 mark. I agree, while it is just an arbitrary number there is something special about hitting that mark...wait till you hit 2500!

One thing, back it up NOW! Don't wait to buy a hard drive, those little portable 2TB drives are cheap, don't risk losing your collection. Also, find a way to keep a copy of your stuff off-site if you can, maybe at work or in a safety deposit box.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Ah, I remember when I first hit the 1000 mark. I agree, while it is just an arbitrary number there is something special about hitting that mark...wait till you hit 2500!

One thing, back it up NOW! Don't wait to buy a hard drive, those little portable 2TB drives are cheap, don't risk losing your collection. Also, find a way to keep a copy of your stuff off-site if you can, maybe at work or in a safety deposit box.

2500?????? never my brother, I know I should never say never, but with over 1000 now on the HD and another hundred or so on order with the Library, my personal choice appetite is truly more than full. Once I transfer these CD's from my Seagate Expansion 2TB HD to another (of the same/thanks again David for keeping it simple and real) I doubt I'll add any more music to the HD but will look down the road for a top notch CD player for those special listening situations that will rarely come up. If you have 2500 cd's ripped, you have all of what I have and then a whole lot more. Wow, and just WOW!!!!!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    That 2500 doesn't even include most of my classical CDs, I bought a huge lot of those a few years back when a music store was going out of business. Unfortunately classical albums are harder to organize so I've noy yet started ripping those.

I would advise against backing up on the same model drive as your primary if you avoid it, if they find a defect with that particular model where it craps out after a year or at a certain size threshold you're gonna be SOL.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    That 2500 doesn't even include most of my classical CDs, I bought a huge lot of those a few years back when a music store was going out of business. Unfortunately classical albums are harder to organize so I've noy yet started ripping those.

I would advise against backing up on the same model drive as your primary if you avoid it, if they find a defect with that particular model where it craps out after a year or at a certain size threshold you're gonna be SOL.

I have all the music on a Seagate 2TB Expansion and feel pretty good about using another one to transfer all the files to, unless you or someone else knows that this HD has had problems?? Please tell me!! Thanks and I may reach the 1500 mark, but have my doubts!!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    It was more a general remark on my part, I have no knowledge of the drive you're using. I've been burned by doing that in the past so it's always something I pay attention to and point out to others.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Thanks and looking to have my files transferred to 2 HD's by the new year...just in case!!
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I've heard of this but have not had to do this but there are ways to get data off a crashed hard drive. You may have to take it to a pro and there's a lot of programs and info on how to do this.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It was more a general remark on my part, I have no knowledge of the drive you're using. I've been burned by doing that in the past so it's always something I pay attention to and point out to others.

AsSiMiLaTeD stresses good advice here. With hard drives, it's not about if, it's about when. Backup should be a high priority. Don't go too cheap with hard drives either. My 'putie has an ESata port which reduces backup or reload time. Yes, I've been there.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    AsSiMiLaTeD stresses good advice here. With hard drives, it's not about if, it's about when. Backup should be a high priority. Don't go too cheap with hard drives either. My 'putie has an ESata port which reduces backup or reload time. Yes, I've been there.

I've tried to protect myself from two problems: 1) disc drive failure and 2) disc drive corruption.

To deal with the first one, I have two 4TB HDs in my NAS that are set up in a RAID configuration. One HD is maintained as a mirror image of the other. When one goes (as it inevitably will), I will swap it out for a new drive.

To deal with the second, I now store duplicate files on my iMac's HD, but I will eventually add a dedicated HD to backup the files on the NAS. If one drive on the NAS gets corrupted, so will the mirror image on the other drive. The dedicated back up drive will avoid the "automatic' identical corruption that would result from the two drives that are mirror images of each other.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• westmassguy
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm sure Johnny won't mind if I chime in here. He doesn't have NAS. He's a 1000 miles away from me, and I'm not familiar with his home network. Connecting a NAS device, and getting all the other connected devices to recognize the NAS can be problematic.
    His Cambridge Stream Magic has front and rear USB ports for connecting external storage, normally thumb drives. Neither of his Laptops nor the Stream Magic have eSATA ports. Unfortunately, the Cambridge unit will only recognize external devices formatted with FAT32 (they need to catch up with the rest of the world). NTFS, which is far more robust, would have been better, but the Cambridge unit would not see the drive. The quick and easy option, was an external drive, formatted with FAT32.
    We chose an off the shelf external drive, with power saving features. Using special software, I was able to format the 2TB drive with FAT32. This leaves a lot of slack on the drive, but still gives him plenty of space.
    We've been discussing backups, and I'll be assembling and external enclosure, with Power Saving Features, and an NAS/Server Grade Hard Drive, with built-in Error Correction. This will be used as his primary drive, with his current external drive relegated to backup duty. If he chooses to make a 2nd back up for off-site storage, a 2nd, off the shelf external drive will be purchased.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Update. ordered the new hard drive and enclosure (which will serve as my main unit) and now have 1256 cd's on the current HD. The music keeps coming to the brain and these last 250 are sure cool albums/cd's to have. Everything from here will be nothing but ultra cool material, which most of it is already. This project has been a blast so far! Time to duplicate this crazy cool collection!!
  • westmassguy
    Options
    You go Johnny Boy
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tophatjohnny
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You go Johnny Boy
    Couldn't have done it without ya bro, and if I could have, it no way would have been as fun!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Glad your still enjoying things man....

The flexibility of digital music is awesome!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Yeah Dan, with all the box set's ripped and regular cd's I am now over 2000 cd's ripped, so slowing down and enjoying the music. The system is sounding real nice. what a fun project this has been and special thanks again to Westmassguy for all the support! Would have never had been this far without his help!
  • tophatjohnny
    Options

Yes Sir!! 2500 is done+! + Meaning a ton of that 2500 are multiple box sets consisting of 2-10 disks, and some of the artists have been placed into a single folder so I know I'm well past the 3000 mark. Now I am going hog wild on "Old Time Radio Shows" so I will have a crazy and impressive (at least to me) collection. This has been a very time consuming project and one more back up will be done in about a month. Just sharing my progress and no it;s not about quantity, just quality FLAC recordings of cool stuff from all walks of time! Can't wait till Cambridge releases the new Streamer. I heard it's in that 2K range, so I saving up for it now!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Can't wait till Cambridge releases the new Streamer. I heard it's in that 2K range, so I saving up for it now!

Your gonna sell me your StreamMagic for a song when you upgrade right :smiling_imp:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tophatjohnny
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Can't wait till Cambridge releases the new Streamer. I heard it's in that 2K range, so I saving up for it now!

Your gonna sell me your StreamMagic for a song when you upgrade right :smiling_imp:
    The $ong I $ang....$ure will!!
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Johnny, good for you man, 2500 is crazy!
    I'm one of those late to the party digital music types too. Been meaning to do it for years. Was supposed to be ripping all Winter long myself. I'm intrigued by the Cocktail Audio X40 CD Music Server/CD Ripper/Network Streamer but its $2500!
    http://www.cocktailaudio.com/overview_x40.php
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=COX40

Since that is not going to happen anytime soon, I need to get my PC situation sorted out. Got some old machines that need some upgrades...and maybe a replacement.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • westmassguy
    Options
    You a crazy man Johnny Boy!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    Options
    I've begun ripping my collection and I now have a greater appreciation for how significant this is. I'm about 100 cd's in and already feel like it's been a lot of work :D My collection is in alphabetic order and I just finished The Black Keys. I've got a ways to go.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    Options
    For the most part very easy, but a few issues thrown in just to irritate me (which ain't that hard to do). Three times I've had to restart the computer because I get a "no information on disc" or "no disc inserted" message. Last night I kept getting Blackfoot cover art and songs when The Black Keys cd was in the trey. No biggies, just slows down the process. There are no deadlines and nobody is forcing me to do it though, so it's all good.

The experience is not nearly as pleasurable as heading to the H/T knowing I'll actually be able to stream my music with no dropouts or buffering issues. In addition, I haven't had a single buffering issue with Netflix since the new computer was put into the mix. Loving it!

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden