The capacitors have finally burned in fully in my BAT VK-200 amp.

Options
So, about a week ago I sat down to listen to some music. I decided upon John Lennon's "Walls and Bridges" CD. It is the 2010 remaster and placed it into the Theta Jade transport (after the 1.5 hour warm-up).

I sat down and listened to the whole CD. When it started I immediately noticed how full and deep the bass sounded. Previously, the bass was comparitavely hollow, with not as much image weight and did not have as much bass growl. As soon as I heard "Going Down On Love" I was blown away at how much better the BAT VK-200 sounded.

Flashing back about 6 months ago, I sat down to listen to my system (The White Album MFSL CD) and the left channel was not functioning. I discovered one of the bridge rectifiers was absolutely fried. I replaced all rectifiers, poswer supply caps and the output caps with some Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil capacitors. I had used some Mundorf Silver/Oil caps in my self built DAC, so I knew it would take a while for the caps to burn in (400-500+ hours).

Returning to current time (listening to "Going Down On Love") I also notinced that the high end and midrange are absolutely smooth yet the high end is still sparkley and not "dead" sounding at all. There is not a hint of harshness to it, it is absolutely perfect, IMO. By the end of the CD, I was loving my audio life and put on a couple other CD's to enjoy!

I am so very glad I upgraded the output caps in my VK-200. The audio is very much improved (after the capacitor burn-in). I wish all of you could hear what I am hearing through my system; It sounds that good, IMO.
Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    It's great when it all comes together after spending the money and time tweaking gear. I know you're grinning from ear to ear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    Absolutely Jesse. Damn this system sounds good. I may have to get a VK-500 and upgrade the capacitors with Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps. The added output power may m,ake my system that much better. The down-side is I will need to wait for them to burn in (again). :s
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Congrats! I see the grin from here!
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    Congrats HR. Great feeling when one day the sound quality dramatically improves due to tweaks.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Nice!!!!!!! On top of that are a lot of people that don't believe a burn in on new caps or equipment makes a differene but, it does make a huge difference Congrats!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • high_def
    Options
    Thanks for sharing OP, i always consider making cost effective tweaks before upgrading gear and spend a good amount of money. I'm not the only one it seems :)