Looking to buy pair of CRS or CRS+

Options
Hi there,
Looking to buy a pair of CRS or CRS+ series speakers. Or the empty cabinets and all assorted parts to reassemble a pair. Starting my Polk collection with CRS next!

Just got a pair of 10As and ready for more. Please let me know what you have.
Sooner is better as I have a line on a pair already but am seeking input and other offers.

Thanks everyone.
R
Currently refurbishing a pair of 1982 Polk 10As
Looking to buy a set of CRSs now, yes, like this week, then a set of 7s.
The addiction begins... :)

Comments

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    If you don't find any here you may have to resort to ebay or Craigslist (where I found mine).
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    If you don't find any here you may have to resort to ebay or Craigslist (where I found mine).

Yep, I got a nice set of CRS+ from an original owner from Ebay.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Rational
    Options
    Thanks guys.

The lead I had on the CRS just fell through. He didn't want to ship "overseas". FPO/APO military addresses are really the same as a California address, yet some people balk at that. So sad. Ah well... wasn't meant to be. I'll continue looking.

Never tried Craigslist. Seems rather cryptic and risky compared to ebay. I guess I'll try and learn it. Thanks guys.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    FPO/APO addresses may cost the same to ship to CA., but the time frame of 4-6 weeks has caused issues with unhappy customers in my experience. Few want to wait that long and most don't want to pay the price for Priority USPS that would get there in 7-10 days.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Rational
    Options
    Thanks Dennis. Spot on.

Priority mail is only 7-10 days on average. I've received stuff in as little as 4 days. But you're right, if you go surface it can take 45 days. Many don't realize you need to ship Priority and both seller and buyer end up suffering.

I've been ordering to here now since '89 and can remember vividly my first order placed with CDW back then for computer parts and was in shock when I learned it was going to take 45 days... lol. That was FOREVER for a young guy. I was distraught to say the least. I've ordered via Priority since with great success. Not that much more expensive really.

Just learned last week that the USPS.com website has a new "Priority Mail Military - Online" option that offers a substantial discount. I just received my two Polk Monitor 10As this week for $25 each shipped with the military online option. Love it. :smile: Those suckers are 40lbs each and were huge boxes. So it's a great deal they're offering those of us here supporting the troops.

Sadly though I can't ship SRS sized units... Max size is 70lbs and 108 inches total. So I'm trying to figure out what the largest sized Polks I CAN order, haha! Think I might be able to squeeze a pair of SDA 2s into the postal system one day if I can get the seller to remove the drivers and ship them separately. lol. They're right at 70lbs and 108 inches boxed. :)

---

BTW, anyone know anyone that has a pair of empty CRS/CRS+ cabinets? I could start there and rebuild.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    My advice would be to hold out only for CRS+. Stick with the single-tweeter form factor, and work from there.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Rational
    Options
    Thanks nspindel. I'll take that advice. I've been reading your posts and am impressed with your knowledge and contributions to the community. Really enjoyed your CRS rebuild thread. Beautiful work.

So what are the thoughts on the dual tweeters? Overdone high end? Phase not so hot? Sound like people have found the single tweet a lot better from your recommendation.
    And would that advice also apply to the older SDA-2 model with two tweets? Curious to learn.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Rational wrote: »
    Thanks nspindel....Really enjoyed your CRS rebuild thread. Beautiful work.

One of the classic reads of the Forum! Oftentimes, I've pulled up that thread to read as I drift off into blissful slumber and happy dreams... :)

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    It depends on the implementation of multiple tweeters. When they're part of the SDA circuit weird phase issues arise (so I've read - haven't heard them). The multiple tweeters in my 2.3TL's are a point source, which, along with the Xover design, MW selection, number and placement of drivers, creates stunning imaging and clarity.

The best CRS+ are supposed to be the last generation, produced in 1989.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Rational
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you drumminman. More knowledge for my understanding. Appreciate it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    When they're part of the SDA circuit weird phase issues arise (so I've read - haven't heard them).

I've heard them, it gets weird.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nspindel
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks nspindel. I'll take that advice. I've been reading your posts and am impressed with your knowledge and contributions to the community. Really enjoyed your CRS rebuild thread. Beautiful work.

So what are the thoughts on the dual tweeters? Overdone high end? Phase not so hot? Sound like people have found the single tweet a lot better from your recommendation.
    And would that advice also apply to the older SDA-2 model with two tweets? Curious to learn.

Sorry, I didn't see the notification that this thread had some updates! New forum blues....

As drumminman said, not all multi-tweeter SDA's are created equally. The 1C's, for example, have two tweeters, but neither are part of the SDA circuit, they are both stereo tweeters. The bigger SDA's have four tweeters, none of which are part of the SDA circuit.

But in some of the earliest generations of SDA, Polk was using both dimensional drivers and dimensional tweeters. It was later decided to abandon the dimensional tweeter and use the SDA technology only in the drivers. The dimensional tweeter was introducing unwanted artifacts and was doing little to improve imaging.

The CRS was one such model, and the move from CRS to CRS+ included the move to the single tweeter. So it's often recommended here that people simply disable the dimensional tweeters.

Also, if you look at the schematics for the CRS vs. the CRS+, you will notice that the older crossover design included some very large caps, which would cost a lot of money to replace with high quality film caps when you get round to redoing the crossovers. That's money much better spent elsewhere in your rebuild.

Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Thanks nspindel....Really enjoyed your CRS rebuild thread. Beautiful work.

One of the classic reads of the Forum! Oftentimes, I've pulled up that thread to read as I drift off into blissful slumber and happy dreams... :)

Haha. The thought of you thinking about me as you're drifting to sleep is actually a bit scary bro!

• nspindel
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    The best CRS+ are supposed to be the last generation, produced in 1989.

If you're looking to just go with the stock speaker, that's true. The 1989 version was the third generation. There were only minor tweaks from the second generation, though, and nothing that wouldn't already be included with the upgrades you're going to do anyway, other than maybe one of the MW's is a different model. Can't recall, and don't remember how to find the schematics in the new forum. The 4th generation was never actually commercially available, that's the 4.1TL. But the schematic was published by Polk, so when we do the TL mod the CRS+ we do affectionately call them 4.1TL's around here.

The one to be avoided is the first generation with the dual tweeter.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Options
    I have almost all of the schematics from the old forum downloaded and can share via PM or e-mail.
  • Rational
    Options
    Sweet. I would love to get all the schematics on file locally for future reference. Mind reposting links for everyone?

Seems that they really killed a ton of old links on the old forum layout. For several weeks before joining, I actually thought Polk dropped support for vintage polks completely. Thought they got bought out by a cheap volume producer profiteer and dumped us all. Not a good image booster to have done that. They need to address this seriously.

Can't they just run both the old and new themes in parallel and give us the option?

Anyway, kind of off topic there. But yes, please.

And more great info guys. Thanks! I'm catching up quickly. Still need to understand how tweets can be taken 'out' of the SDA circuit vs 'in'. But since it's my goal to start tackling how to rebuild crossovers and hopefully learn about electronics over the next few years, perhaps those schematics are just what I need. :)

More fun times ahead.

And I've got a nice surprise contribution to add to the community knowledge base here soon. Trying to contribute already if I can. :)

Peace out for now.
    R

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    A little clarification on the CRS. There were four official models produced. The 1984 CRS is 2nd generation, has two horizontally mounted tweeters, a blade/blade interconnect, can only be used with a common ground amplifier, and lacks the sub-bass drive circuit. Due to the dimensional tweeter, and less than stellar bass, this is the least desirable model.
    The 1986 CRS+ is 3rd generation, single tweeter, blade/blade interconnect, can only be used with common ground amplifiers, but does have the sub-bass drive circuit for improved bass. As noted, the lo-pass section contains very large value capacitors, which are expensive to upgrade. It can however, be fully updated, including the "TL" mod (non-sanctioned), and will hold it's own against later models.
    The 1987 and 1989 CRS+ are 4th generation, single tweeter, pin/blade interconnects, can be used with common ground or non-common ground amplifiers with the AI-1 or Dreadnaught, have the sub-bass drive circuit, and can be "TL'd" AKA 4.1. The only difference between the two, is the stereo driver. The '87 used MW6503s, the '89 used MW6510s, otherwise they are identical.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • nspindel
    Options
    What's the first generation then? I don't recall seeing a schematic for anything older than the 1984 model.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Neil, there was no 1st generation CRSs
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/