Its been 26 years but now have a pair SDA SRS 2.3

Options
I used to sell the Polk line of speakers for a Mom and Pop store in the Napa Wine Country when I was in my early to mid 20's. I've owned a pair of CRS for sometime and have enjoyed them as I moved from apartment to apartment. But now, I finally have the enough listening space for the SDA SRS 2.3. I did not have to convince the wife of how wonderful these speakers will sound at home. She was all about when was I ready to drop the money to get some serious sound to fill the great room.

As soon as the J.O.B. permits, I'll be spending time to set theses speakers up per recommendation and then tweak from there. I'll be power up with an ADCOM GFA 555 and GPT 450. B & O 8002 turntable and B & O CDX. Mrs. Wife's one requirement is to interface with home theater Denon 4520CI.

I would like to eventually acquire another GFA 555 and bridge them but need the help of "how to and what not to" as well as pointing me in the direction of replacement and possibly upgrade MODs.

Denon 4520CI, Adcom GFA 555, SDA SRS 2.3, Klipsch KG .5, Aura Audio, Polk AB 700,
Bang & Olufsen - Beomaster 8000, Beocord 9000, Beogram 8002, Polk SDA CRS
Bang & Olufsen - Beomaster 6000 (clock radio), Beocord 8004, Beogram CDX, NHT Super Zero
Sherwood Newcastle R925

Comments

• Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Nice!
    Using two amps will require AI-1 dreadnaught thingy.
    More will chime in.
    Congrats!

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the speakers. i use the same amp. I would not bridge the amps. The sound will get muddy. As Mystery said you may use the AI-1 interface and use one for highs and one for lows or use one for left channel unbridged and one for right channel unbridged. Well in the first example you would not need the interface. Either way its not best to bridge 2 channel amps. Dual monos or twin mono's would be better; say two 565's.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • markamerica
    Options
    Congrats on the speakers! Enjoy them, and by all means, check in here often. Like others, I'd say you'd be better served bi-amping as described by Mr. Bubbles.
    SDA SRS, SDA SRS1.2TL, SDA-1C,SDA 2B, Soundcraftsmen Amplification (A5002s, MA5002s, MA5002As)
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Congrats... I am in Mod mode right now on my 2.3's and hope to have them done in the next couple of weeks.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Congrats and welcome!

Craig
    Wilmington, NC
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Welcome to CP! Congrats on the 2.3s. Welcome to the rabbit hole......
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Welcome, you will have a lot of help spending money here >:)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Yes you will but they are worth every dime.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Yes you will but they are worth every dime.

I agree there, but I have way too many to try to keep up with all of them.

It has been a lot of fun and will be for a long time!!

Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    Welcome to the "forum" BWagon.

There are many people who can help you with the modifications in the future. Are yours the 2.3TL's or standard 2.3's? One of the first upgrades you should do is the tweeters to the RD0 series. If you have 2.3TL's, get the RD0-198's, if you have the standard 2.3's, get the RD0-194's. the improvement is not subtle. Especially if you have SL-2000's.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    Welcome to CP and congrats on your speakers!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • BWagon
    Options

headrott wrote: »
    Welcome to the "forum" BWagon.

There are many people who can help you with the modifications in the future. Are yours the 2.3TL's or standard 2.3's? One of the first upgrades you should do is the tweeters to the RD0 series. If you have 2.3TL's, get the RD0-198's, if you have the standard 2.3's, get the RD0-194's. the improvement is not subtle. Especially if you have SL-2000's.

Thank you all for the welcomes. It is great feeling to know that I'm not alone in this world of vintage Polk audio. I believe I have the first run of the 2.3 with 2 doughnuts and 3 SL-2000. Before any driver replacements I want to hunt down two MW6513 as they have some damage (pin holes) to the surrounds. At low to moderate volumes virtually unnoticeable but I'm sure at singing volumes they will eventually separate. I thought I had found four of them here in CA for $100 but I couldn't have been so lucky. The reply was "SOLD". So the search continues. All the grill cloths require replacement. I was considering replacing the sides with 3/8 oak veneer just so it looks more like furniture and standard black for the front. Any info on grill cloth replacement or location of MW6513? I bought these from an audio addict for $550. It was 2.3 or srs 2 for $400 obo. Went with the 2.3 because the srs 2 was another 30 miles away and had spent 4 hours auditioning them and just chatting about audio with the addict.
    Denon 4520CI, Adcom GFA 555, SDA SRS 2.3, Klipsch KG .5, Aura Audio, Polk AB 700,
    Bang & Olufsen - Beomaster 8000, Beocord 9000, Beogram 8002, Polk SDA CRS
    Bang & Olufsen - Beomaster 6000 (clock radio), Beocord 8004, Beogram CDX, NHT Super Zero
    Sherwood Newcastle R925
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    Congrats on your new speakers. I hope you can find what your looking for easily to get them up n running perfect. I use the Adcom 555 on my 1c's & it does a wonderful job. WELCOME to Club Polk
    Randy/Maine
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Congrats and welcome to the club. I've bene looking into options with my 3.1's too. Glad you asked about all that. I've heard about Bi-amping but haven'e reserached it yet. I would assume some type of signal spliter or crossover is needed?
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • nikonik
    nikonik Posts: 120
    Options
    Once again, welcome! I'd like to hear a set of 2.3 just for kicks.
  • Oldmanind
    Options
    Great speaker congrats
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Congrats... I have 2.3's too... I am in the process of doing the full magilla mods... they sounded great before i did anything and can't wait to hear them after all the mechanical and xover mods.

enjoy them.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    Options
    BWagon,

Welcome to the Polk Collective! Starting with 2.3's is an excellent way to re-introduce yourself to the advantages of the Polk experience. I'm wrapping up some mods for a set of SDA1C''s, and then have future sights set on upgrades for a pair of CRS+'s and SRS 2.3TL's in the 'line up.' I've got 1 (or is it 2?) car projects interfering with the audio agenda. Everyone must pick their poison...

Ron
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Nice purchase, and welcome to Club Polk.

Parts Express sells some nice grill cloth, which I used on a pair of Allison 6s that I had to restore and modify, with Trey of Vr3 Mods' help. Others may have better suggestions. I believe in one of his threads DarqueKnight mentions a high-end grill cloth that might be better than the Parts Express cloth.

If the surrounds are failing on any of the MWs, you can relatively easily replace the surrounds with kits that are also available from Parts Express (and other sites). I had to replace two surrounds on the Allisons, and I found that even with no prior experience -- but a healthy dose of care -- I was able to do it successfully.

If the surrounds leak air, then the passive radiators do not function as well as they should. Push in on the PRs and observe whether the MWs move forward and slowly return to the "neutral" position. If they don't move or return in only a couple of seconds, then the leaks are enough to be a concern. Your bass is suffering.

With respect to other mods on the 2.3s, my advice would be to take them as far as you can in the first instance. When I first modified my 1.2s, I had Trey redo the crossovers, but not to TL specs, only so that I could get the most out of RD0-194s. Now, I'm working with Trey again to bring the 1.2s up to the TL level, which means I will have done the crossovers twice and first replaced the SL2000s with RD0-194s, and then the RD0-194s with RD0-198s. You get my drift -- a little higher cost upgrade path than going straight to TLs.

In any case, you'll get a lot of help and advice here. Enjoy!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• bassfann
    bassfann Posts: 151
    Options
    So a dreadnaught will be needed for bi-amping ? I have no problem building one,but need to know for sure. I haven't done any mods on my 2.3's as of yet,but plan to. I'm still new to these.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Are you still in the napa area? If so, let me know if you ever need a hand with crossovers / magnets / etc.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Nice purchase, and welcome to Club Polk.

Parts Express sells some nice grill cloth, which I used on a pair of Allison 6s that I had to restore and modify, with Trey of Vr3 Mods' help. Others may have better suggestions. I believe in one of his threads DarqueKnight mentions a high-end grill cloth that might be better than the Parts Express cloth.

If the surrounds are failing on any of the MWs, you can relatively easily replace the surrounds with kits that are also available from Parts Express (and other sites). I had to replace two surrounds on the Allisons, and I found that even with no prior experience -- but a healthy dose of care -- I was able to do it successfully.

If the surrounds leak air, then the passive radiators do not function as well as they should. Push in on the PRs and observe whether the MWs move forward and slowly return to the "neutral" position. If they don't move or return in only a couple of seconds, then the leaks are enough to be a concern. Your bass is suffering.

With respect to other mods on the 2.3s, my advice would be to take them as far as you can in the first instance. When I first modified my 1.2s, I had Trey redo the crossovers, but not to TL specs, only so that I could get the most out of RD0-194s. Now, I'm working with Trey again to bring the 1.2s up to the TL level, which means I will have done the crossovers twice and first replaced the SL2000s with RD0-194s, and then the RD0-194s with RD0-198s. You get my drift -- a little higher cost upgrade path than going straight to TLs.

In any case, you'll get a lot of help and advice here. Enjoy!

Note: There are no kits to replace surrounds on Vintage Polk MWs. If need be until you can get new ones you can use a little bit of adhesive. I used RV patch sealer (silicon) I believe, it obviously will be just a temp fix but better than nothing. I personally would just use them with the pin holes and see if they rip more...the surrounds are pretty tough.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • gwg_97
    gwg_97 Posts: 332
    Options
    And for those who are about to rock...........I salute you!!!!!

System 1:Nakamichi PA-7Kenwood Basic C2Polk SDA 1C moddedSystem 2:Dynaco ST-70Polk Monitor 5B modded
  • CarloJP424
    CarloJP424 Posts: 8
    Options
    I got a pair of SDA SRS 2.3s and enjoy the hell out of them. Only thing, my girlfriend bangs on the floor above me whenever I turn them up. :smiley: