SVS PB12 Plus Subwoofer....

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
edited September 2014 in Electronics
I ordered one of these today, I am very excited to get it hooked up, and retire my DSW PRO's from Polk...

I really hope this crushes the Polk Sub's. :smiley: I'm sure that won't be a problem.. LOL!!

I have been wanting to pull the trigger on this for some time now, and now that the weather will be changing I will be spending more time in my HT...

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Nice one Larry! hope to get a SVS also someday. but right now I get no time in my HT set-up.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I really hope this crushes the Polk Sub's. :smiley: I'm sure that won't be a problem.. LOL!!

Rather than crush your Polk micropro's... send them to me :wink:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ken brydson
    Options
    You won't be disappointed!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Yeah real nice Larry I want a SVS SB 2000 but spent most my savings towards it on vacation and on gear for deer hunting, got a nice Pioneer sub to fill the gap in my 3.1 I just put together until I get it. Sounds like once the weather changes you and that SVS will be spending time together enjoy, would like to hear your impressions on it once you hook it up.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Good choice...I love my SVS.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Toolfan66
    Options

My DSW Pro 600 quit working, and my DSW Pro 500 quit working but Polk sent me a new Amp for it, so it is the only sub is have left..

Not sure if the 600 is worth anything? I guess maybe for parts,unless someone wanted to buy a new amp from Polk.. and not sure what the 500 would be worth either... I plan to rid my self of them though...
  • Obsession18
    Options
    When I first listened to my SVS PC12-NSD it was not what I initially expected, where’s the bass was the first thing that came to mind. What I didn’t realize was that my former sub was oh so BOOMY compared to the SVS, I mistook a lack of boominess for a lack of bass. That was quickly dispelled after the first scene with an explosion, now that’s I’m talking about – window rattling, couch shaking, subsonic bliss. The most startling aspect is feeling bass that you DO NOT hear; yes I’m talking not hearing, the first time I encountered it I had to hit rewind to make sure it was in the sound track and not the local Marine base dropping bombs.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Audio Technica 150MLX, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited September 2014
    Options

My DSW Pro 600 quit working, and my DSW Pro 500 quit working but Polk sent me a new Amp for it, so it is the only sub is have left..

Not sure if the 600 is worth anything? I guess maybe for parts,unless someone wanted to buy a new amp from Polk.. and not sure what the 500 would be worth either... I plan to rid my self of them though...

Can the 600 use external sub amp or regular amp with a crossover? That may be cheaper.

If you want, I can bring my Deftech PF15TL+ and do a subwoofer shootout. :lol:

BTW, I don't get that long signature of yours. :confused:
    The end is near it seems for our beloved Polk Forum, sad...

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,189
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Been kicking with my SVS PC+ tube sub for about 9 years now. They really are good. The only problem I've had with mine is that after a few years, I started hearing some vibration from inside. I took the amp off and had to tighten/re-glue something on the amp board that was vibrating. That was probably 6 years ago. I'm sure you will be very happy.

Comments above are true. You will start to hear new impact in movies. I notice it especially with gunshots. They are so much more realistic once you get a good sub that digs down into the 20Hz region with power.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    Awesome guys!! I am so excited to get it, it's all I have been thinking about today..

Tuesday is the day!!
  • Obsession18
    Options
    Another thing I ran into when setting up my SVS was blending it in with my mains, I run a full range signal to my front L/R mains (not the suggested 80Hz cutoff) for home theater. This can lead to phase cancellation which will diminish the bass response, easy to correct, put on some bass heavy music and adjust the SVS's phase knob until you get the loudest bass. I also tried running my front mains small with only the SVS handling below 80Hz, pretty good but not quite as good as bringing in my mains which have flat response down to about 25 - 30 Hz.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Audio Technica 150MLX, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    You're going to love your new SVS. :) I progressed from a PSW300 to a PSW1000 to the SVS. No regrets.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Mystery
    Options
    Today is the day Larry?
    :wink:

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Let us know what you think of it, I have an older SVS and love it, it is the SVS PB2-Plus

Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • westmassguy
    Options
    I have the PB2-Plus, and it shakes the house. They make awesome products, and customer support is exceptional. I emailed them on a Saturday, and got a response with in a hour, from the owner
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    Well I got it home, what a BEAST!! glad I had a friend help me get it in the basement, this thing is a little heavy for one person to just grab and go..

I hooked it up, didn't play with any of the settings yet, and played the first few minutes of Bolt, gotta say I'm loving it so far, part of me is wishing I would have bit the bullet and went dual.. :smiley:
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Man, that's got to be a good feeling. I've yet to really hear a good HT sub let alone own one.

It's down my priority list a bit, especially with the kids at their ages, but in a few years...I think they're gonna need some booms with their toons :smile:
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Well I got it home, what a BEAST!! glad I had a friend help me get it in the basement, this thing is a little heavy for one person to just grab and go..

I hooked it up, didn't play with any of the settings yet, and played the first few minutes of Bolt, gotta say I'm loving it so far, part of me is wishing I would have bit the bullet and went dual.. :smiley:
    A lot depends on the size of the room. The single 12 may be just right to pressurize the space you have. Definitely start playing with the tuning. I have mine set for the lowest frequency, two ports plugged, subsonic filter set to 16 Hz. Mind blowing
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Toolfan66
    Options

A lot depends on the size of the room. The single 12 may be just right to pressurize the space you have. Definitely start playing with the tuning. I have mine set for the lowest frequency, two ports plugged, subsonic filter set to 16 Hz. Mind blowing

What do you have the receiver set at?
  • westmassguy
    Options
    My Receiver's subwoofer crossover is set to 50Hz. 80Hz is the Dolby standard, but all my speakers can do below 50Hz, so the sub is picking up the last 1 1/2 octaves, the ones that punch you in the gut
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • LeftCoast
    Options
    My Receiver's subwoofer crossover is set to 50Hz. 80Hz is the Dolby standard, but all my speakers can do below 50Hz, so the sub is picking up the last 1 1/2 octaves, the ones that punch you in the gut

Nothing quite compares to a punch in the gut.
  • westmassguy
    Options
    LeftCoast wrote: »

Nothing quite compares to a punch in the gut.

Indeed. That's what I was missing with the two midfi Sony 12" Subs I had. They had usable output to about 24Hz. It's amazing how much deep bass is present not only in Movie Surround tracks, but 2 Channel as well
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mystery
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I wonder how the SVS compares against Velodyne HGS 18 or in general against HGS series 12, 15... Hmm...
    I missed a chance of getting the HGS18 for a hundy and still hurts. :(

• Toolfan66
    Options
    Velodyne looks awesome, and they have some pretty pricey stuff..

I can say that I haven't heard a Polk sub that sounds as good as the SVS.. :smile:
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    Options
    How are you liking it? Had time to play any good demo material on it? Check out Master & Commander, U571, Finding Nemo (Darla tapping fish tank scene), and watch how that thing digs low. Congrats.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I also recommend Ender's Game...especially when the planet is destroyed towards the end.

My pair of SVS cylinders make it incredible. The amount of output reminds me of the X D Digital demo they play at the theater near my house...right up to and including hearing the drywall joints vibrate!

Apparently, X D with no space or with a - equals XD
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Man of Steel, Battleship, and The Avengers are also excellent for putting it through it's paces.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mystery
    Options
    I can't imagine using any sub of that caliber in good use at my place.
    I hardly ever turn the Deftech as it starts to shake all the cabinets.
    Bass from the Klipsch RF-3 towers is enough most of the time. :smile: