Okay follow up question: RTiA9 vs RTi12?

ukcolin99
ukcolin99 Posts: 286
edited September 2014 in Speakers
The specs for these speakers are identical on the Polk website(cabinet size slightly different). Obviously the 12's are older, is there a freshness factor at this $ level of speaker? Are the 9's better because they are newer? Anyone heard both? The 12's look older style-wise, everything else being equal I'd rather save money & buy the 12's. Thanks for any input.
Post edited by ukcolin99 on

Comments

• Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    I bought a set of 12's several months ago after realizing as you have that the specs are identical. I used them a month or two in my main system and then caught the SDA bug and bought a pair of 1C's and 2.3tl's. I am currently trying to sell the 12's to fund some of the upgrades and simply because I don't need 5 pairs of speakers. I was very pleased with them. They are honestly not as good to me as the SDA's but very good. I will say the more power the better.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • 12's are bigger and heavier, however.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    Go for the 12s, they are well worth the price. The differences are minimal so you will save a pretty good bit with them.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I would also go for the 12's if saving money is the jist here. However, they will need some power behind them, don't think about using a low/midline receiver to push these alone.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    tonyb wrote: »
    I would also go for the 12's if saving money is the jist here. However, they will need some power behind them, don't think about using a low/midline receiver to push these alone.

I totally agree. I was bi-amping with two Carver TFM35's. I think this was around 700 per side. It was for sure not too much.

Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • Sherardp wrote: »
    Go for the 12s, they are well worth the price. The differences are minimal so you will save a pretty good bit with them.
    I agree with Sherardp on this.

Are there differences: Yes.

Are they game changers: No

So if the difference in looks isnt paramount (for you or a significant other) you can save a bunch by going with the RTi 12's.

Just make sure you also then buy a the corresponding center channel which is either a CSi4 (now the CSi A4) or CSi5 (now the CSi A6). Id recommend the CSi5 as its one of the better center channels Polk made.

For your surrounds you could get by with the FXi A's or the FXi's as they will not be as off of a timber match as if your front 3 were different lines.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Thank you all for the good info. I have Polk CS20 as my center, is that speaker gonna ruin my experience?
    Adding an extra layer of spend vs sound in my mind are all the comments that I'll need more power than my Yamaha RX A-3020 150w pc to power either of the RTi's? If I bi-amp the RTi's from the Yamaha (using the 9.2 spare channels) am I good?

If not and I have to buy more power maybe I should look at the LSI705's that Polk has refurbed at $892.47 ea on my ebay watch screen right now. Technically I can't afford them but if the Yamaha will power them (20-250w per channel) vs the RTI's 20-500watts RMS 500 maybe worth the stretch. Help please.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    12 owner here pushing them with a pioneer sc27. No complaints.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • I used to push my Rti12's with just my Pioneer SC07 with no complaints too. However, then I added a Rotel 1095 amp in the system and got a step change improvement. Now I'm pushing them (and my CsiA6 center channel and mirage surrounds) with a Parasound 2205 amp and there was another step change. I'm a true believer in the synergy with the Polk Rti's and Parasound amps. Those big towers really start to shine as you put increasingly more clean power to them.
    Parasound HCA-2003A & 2205A
    Front: Rti12's
    Center: Csi A6
    Side surrounds: Polk Rti A1's
    Atmos: Mirage Nanosats
    APC H15
    Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
    The rest is TBD.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    If funds are an issue then you should look for a pair of TSI 500s to match your your CS20 Center Channel, as your front stage should be timbre matched. If you want the 12'S then you would need to spend more money on a different Center Channel, that is if you want a seamless front stage, but even with the 500s and the CS20, your gonna need an external amp.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Thank you for all the feedback. I am less of a Home Theater guy more a 2 good speakers, listen to great music on CD guy. Isley Brothers, Steely Dan, Miles Davis(some), Fleetwood Mac, Stranglers, Jackson Brown, Chicago (early), Motown, Santana etc. Pretty loud when mood takes me.
  • So I guess the real question is, if my priority is listening to stereo music can my Yamaha handle the 9's or 12's w/o an external amp?
  • cbridle wrote: »
    So I guess the real question is, if my priority is listening to stereo music can my Yamaha handle the 9's or 12's w/o an external amp?
    Yes your Yamaha will be able to handle the load, but adding an external amp will make a big difference in regards to separation and impact especially at more than moderate listening levels.

Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    Can the Yamaha do it alone ? Yes, but not up to the speakers potential. Since you say you like it loud,, you really have to listen at those higher volumes. If the sound starts to sound congested, shrill, soundstage collapses, your overdriving them and need to turn it down. That is if buying replacement parts for your speakers isn't your idea of happy time.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    So your wanting to do only 2 channel listening you did not mention if the percentage would be for an example 60% music 40%, movies if you want to use this system for both without the use of external power then I would not get the 12s at all that CS20 is a big center and a good one so with that being said why not match it with a pair of TSI 400s instead of TSI 500s you would be putting an easier load on your Yamaha while having the best of both worlds.

I guess what I am trying to say I would not go with the 12s with that Yamaha and that center in the mix you would be better off with the TSI 400s and that CS20 with the power you have to offer them since your dead set on not getting an external amp.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Thanks guys. Great answers all saying similar thing. I am 80/20 music, not dead set against external-not keen. 2nd last Q: With the LSi705's appearing to have excellent reviews and lower power requirement thinking I might wait and buy the 705's when Polk puts them on sale? If I splurge on the 705's what center & rears do I need. Thank you.
  • I'm still using Monitor 70 II's w/CS20 center and little TL2's in the rear. Fry's has pair of RTiA1's on special for $149.00 a pair in store. Recommended 20-125w per channel. My RX-A3020 is 150w per channel. Is 3020 too much power, if not are the RTiA1's a worthwhile improvement? Do I need to worry more about timbre matching? Thank you for any feedback, always of value.
  • tonyb
    Your AVR doesn't pump out 150w as soon as you turn it on. You have to level match in the receivers settings, in the speaker level adjustment....or let the auto calibration do it. More power is better than not enough....and no, you won't hurt the speaker. Well, unless you like to bury the volume dial that is.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Fry's deal already dead. Appreciate info on the timbre matching. If I buy LSiM705's should I be buying LSi center & rears to match?
  • cbridle; I had the RX-A3020 before, it's good enough for any speakers made by Polk, I also have the RTAi9 and 4 RTiA1, and 2 CSiA4 as central speaker. Trust me, you are in great shape with your amp. I'm also more into stereo music than movies.

Now I switched to Yamaha CX-A5000 & MX-A5000 but this is just because I'm out of my mind!
  • ukcolin99
    Nice units, thanks for the feedback. Isn't the first step to admit you have a problem, which you have done......?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I had the RX-A3020 before, it's good enough for any speakers made by Polk

Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Yeah, that statement may be true for a lot of Polk speakers, but certainly not all. The difference a separate amp makes, a good amp, on any speaker over any receiver is easily heard. No substitute for good high clean current....on large radiating surfaces.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    tonyb wrote: »
    Yeah, that statement may be true for a lot of Polk speakers, but certainly not all. The difference a separate amp makes, a good amp, on any speaker over any receiver is easily heard. No substitute for good high clean current....on large radiating surfaces.

+1.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • ukcolin99
    In light of overwhelming support for a separate amp and on my other string(LSiM703's) same message. What is a good new pre-amp? There is not much out there I can find. Crutchfield as a couple, the Emotiva XPA200 has almost vanished the Emotiva UPA 200 also cheap-150watts at 8 ohms, do I need to pay $500-$1000 to make buying the pre-amp worthwhile? Thanks guys.
  • ukcolin99
    Do i want a pre-amp or a power amp? My understanding is less controls on the amp the better, presumably to get cleaner signal to the speakers?
  • tonyb
    edited January 2015
    You want an amp, not a pre amp, if we are still talking about the 12's or A9's. However, most would agree Emo amps aren't a great match with RTI speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ukcolin99
    Thanks Tony, I tried to change the title on this string. I bought the 705's on F&F sale from Polk, so i am prioritizing upgrading my center & my rears &/vs adding more power. Thinking if I upgrade to LSi's 703/706 I'll need more than my RX-A3020 to power it all plus I like the idea of bi-amping the 705's which i now realize i need a separate amp to accomplish.
  • tonyb
    The LSIM's are an easier load than the older LSI's. The A3020 is a pretty beefy receiver too. I'd hook it all up before buying an amp and see how it sounds first....and I'd forget the bi-amping idea.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rc51matt
    rc51matt Posts: 39
    edited January 2015
    I just did four rti12's with a csi5 center and a marantz sr7007 receiver and a outlaw 7500 amp Wich is 200x5 and i wish I had more power for music. Movies it's more then enough. But my room is large and funky shaped.
    2v0o1678vo1x.jpg