Pioneer SW-8MK2 Andrew Jones Subwoofer

gudnoyez
gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SW-8MK2

Well for now my dreams of getting a SVS sub have been put on the backburner the money I spent on Vacation and a upcoming hunting trip is taking away funds but I needed a sub for a 3.1 project so with a $25 dollar best buy reward zone certificate used towards the purchase, I got this sub to tide me over until a SVS comes my way. I heard good things about these Andrew Jones series speakers so since they did not stock PSW111's anymore, they only stock the Polk PSW108 I got this Pioneer, way better sounding budget sub than the PSW108, so far I'm pretty impressed for the price. Has anyone else heard the Andrew Jones series speakers yet? I will post pics later tonight :smiley:
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    My basement 3.1 is just the A.J. bookie 22s, matching center, Polk 12" sub and a Pioneer AVR. For the money, it is unbeatable.

Don't know much about the Pio Sub, though. But considering the Polk PSW 10/108 is the chuff king of cheap subs that's probably good enough.

I do, though, have a "solution" to the PSW 10 problem. It involves placement and levels. You need to NOT overdrive it, and it needs to be at right angles to your listening position so that it does NOT face you. Once you experiment with these parameters you can "almost" make the chuffing go away and have some pretty decent movie lows for a cheap sub! I use that technique on the larger 12" and it works like a charm!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • gudnoyez
    Yeah those AJ towers and bookies they had were also impressive for that price range I actually like this sub
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    I own the AJ pio towers,matching center and an SVS sub. Awesome combo! Awesome sound! They're not really a fashion statement ( so my other half tells me..but I cconvinced her to keep them anyway ) lol
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• gudnoyez
    vva7ajpcmusb.jpg

Here it is, here it T.I.S. not bad for a budget sub put a couple of Primus CD's and some Les Claypool not bad with music, checked out a couple of scenes from Master And Commander it passes the test so far, well the Wife just picked out her Neil Diamond Box Set and I just mixed a couple of Bloody Marys, and the Leinenkugel October fest beers are Ice cold Neil Diamond gets her in the mood gotta run. Good night to all of you.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• I got one in the garage rig. Nice little sub for $100 bucks.
  • gudnoyez
    when you add a new piece of gear to your collection its a good feeling, which all of us have expierenced a time or two or three, or a couple of dozen times, whether it costs a few grand or a mere $140 on a budget item I'm really liking this little Pioneer and will probably get another to run dual ones, yet still staying within the wifes boundaries of only putting up a 3.1 so she can still decorate the upstairs living area.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• I ran two in my listening room. Filled the room nicely. I have changed around the system since then and now they sit in boxes. I need to find a use for them.
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    do you experience any humming from your pio sub? I had bought one in the past, and returned it the same day b/c of the hum. The only time it didn't hum was when it was unplugged.
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    never did. sounds like its a ground loop issue you had. usually its fixable. just a lot of testing to find what is causing it.
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator