Record Cleaning Machines - DIY or Purchase - Who uses one?

Options
MrBuhl
MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
edited September 2014 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi All

Done a few searches and have seen some nice DIY record cleaning machines - also have been researching VPI and Nitty Gritty - I have a couple questions:

For those who have constructed a vacuum based DIY RCM - do you still use it as your main RCM? Or did you move to a commercial model?

For those who purchased "factory" models - is there a good place to get one that is likely to produce the best "deal" on one vs. paying absolute top dollar?

I currently use a Spin Clean and microfiber, but I'm looking for the next level of clean if you will - and frankly the SC isn't all that convenient for a larger amount of records, almost all of which need a good clean...

Many thanks for any wisdom and assistance in advance.

Best
Ed
VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
SACD Marantz DV8300
Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
Yamaha YP-D6
Soundcraftsmen PCR800
Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
Pho-700 Phono Pre
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Comments

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited September 2014
    Options
    STill using my DIY vacuum system. I make my own solution, use no longer working turntable to spin record manually while I manually scrub the record and use modified shop vac to suck off the cleaning solution. Then let sit in dish rack until completely dry then put in MFSL sleeve.

Sunday mornings are a great time to knock out 20 or so records while I am also listening.

I use the solution method noted here http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

Use this brush to scrub http://www.needledoctor.com/Nitty-Gritty-Nylon-Bristle-Brush?sc=2&category=1182

I use this vac http://www.walmart.com/ip/1-Gallon-Shop-Vac-Hang-Up-Mini-Vacuum/8477890
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • MrBuhl
    edited September 2014
    Options
    That looks awesome and super easy! How dry does the vac actually get the vinyl thsmith? Did you build the box as in your first link or just use the vac as is?
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• thsmith
    Options
    Very dry but I let each site sit in a dish rack. I clean 4 side A's then put a clean mat on the TT and start cleaning Side Bs. That way the clean side is touching a clean mat.

I did not build a box. I sit the TT on a table. The vacuum is not in a box either.

I use microfiber towel to clean the brush after each side and give a good rinse with my cleaning solution.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I spent 11 minutes watching a guy (youtube) clean ONE side of a record, the album cover and replace the inner sleeve with a plastic one and also put some plastic over the cover. ONE SIDE! lol

I guess I'll stick with a few snap, crackle and pops. Besides all my vinyl is not worth a lot and my tables are all $200+ (in their day, that is--'70s, '80s) or less MSRP vintage. So it's not like I'm missing much. Since all I remember are record players from the late 60s and '70s played on mid-fi equipment this all sounds like it did back then. lol Good enough for a trip down "memory lane"--nostalgia, if you will!

But if you REALLY have some GREAT gear, I suppose you can USE your TIME this way!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • thsmith
    Options
    I get pretty medevil when scrubbing. I have been very happy with my results.
    I verified my cleaning solution left no film or debris behind by checking my Stylius with a microscope.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I use the Spin Clean to clean and then a shop vac to blow the fluid off. I've also found that using a carbon fiber brush really does a good job all on it's own.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I have a VPI 16.5 machine and it is quick and simple. I turn it on add pour a little bit of cleaner on it and press down withe the brush in my hand, for afew rotations- then vacuum it off with the machine - add a rinse (distilled water) and vacuum that off and flop it over and do next side, a couple minutes per LP and I only do what I think I will listen to that day or sometimes I clean a bunch while listen to headphones as its really loud. I also pick up the cleaned record with a micro cloth and put it into a good sleeve & I'm done.

My records for the most part don't hardly make any noise :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited September 2014
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    I have a VPI 16.5 machine and it is quick and simple. I turn it on add pour a little bit of cleaner on it and press down withe the brush in my hand, for afew rotations- then vacuum it off with the machine - add a rinse (distilled water) and vacuum that off and flop it over and do next side, a couple minutes per LP and I only do what I think I will listen to that day or sometimes I clean a bunch while listen to headphones as its really loud. I also pick up the cleaned record with a micro cloth and put it into a good sleeve & I'm done.

My records for the most part don't hardly make any noise :)

That's what I use as well, not the cheapest but works very well!!

Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I have a Nitty Gritty (base model)...I think it cost $400.

I have to manually turn it, but man does it do a fantastic job. Potentially, the best purchase I have made....but then again I listen to a lot of vinyl.

I feel its a great value if you don't mind manually applying the solution and spinning the record.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    Options
    I still use my diy cleaner and am happy with the results. I use something like this http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html
    I can hear a big difference before and after cleaning. I use a steam cleaner first then cleaner then steam again to rinse. I use the cbc stuff I got here on the forum.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    Nitty Gritty Version 1.0
    Works Great

1vlknvo6jwh3.jpg
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    I bought a used VPI 16.5 and absolutely love it. Didn't mind the Spin Clean, but this is sooo much faster and easier. It actually gives me pleasure to use. Glad I didn't wait too long before taking the plunge. I try to clean 10-12 two or three nights per week which is more than I can listen to most weeks.

If I were looking now, I'd probably go for the newer heavier duty Cyclone.

Craig
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,909
    Options
    Built my own using an old technics TT I picked up for I think some stupid price of $25 on CL, works great... Here is a few pics..

rcm001-2.jpg
    RCM006-1.jpg
    RCM002-1.jpg
    RCM001.jpg

• voltz
    Options
    Larry -> You just totally rock!! B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Larry, I remember your build thread for that--Wasn't that when you were pretty new around here? Seem to recall you taking some grief for "butchering" the TT you used; no one around here knew at that time what kind of artwork you were capable of turning out! B)
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,909
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Larry, I remember your build thread for that--Wasn't that when you were pretty new around here? Seem to recall you taking some grief for "butchering" the TT you used; no one around here knew at that time what kind of artwork you were capable of turning out! B)

I did take some grief for "butchering" the TT, I tried to find the thread but couldn't seen to find it..
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    Thanks all - Larry that DIY thread was one of the first ones I came upon! Was wondering if you found it sufficient to keep using it and I guess you have.

Seems like if you take the time to build a decent one, you'll be just as happy as the guys who have purchased on too from my short poll and read-up.

Though the overwhelming consensus seems to be an RCM makes a huge difference and is definitely more efficient.

Gotta figure out what I'm gonna do!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I bow to toolfan's craftmanship. I take my dollar LPs into a clean room at CWRU and use a solution I can't tell you about. Works great. B)
  • voltz
    Options
    Ed - could you imagine having a record collection like P-mans or Red's and cleaning them by hand? When I saw how much it cost I thought no way, then I cleaned a few buy hand and right away I ordered the VPI 16.5. in the end it just is part of the cost of Vinyl you just sort of have to play -it cost more then my TT :( but I like using and do not mind cleaning any more no hassle really. but yes they are not free.

• Mike Reeter
    Options
    I picked up a used VPI 16.5 off A'gon at half price, works like a champ! There is at least one for sale on Ebay or A'gon at any given time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    +1 on the VPI as this is were I might end up. BTW, PMan is the man.
  • thsmith
    Options
    Wow, I just watched a video on utube for a VPI cyclone. For $1000 it better do the scrubbing and vacuuming on both sides at once.

I thought they were more automated than that.

Even at half the price I will stick with method and I know I do a better job scrubbing.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    @Toolfan66‌ .... Show off :wink: .....

I think your is the best DIY I've seen.

There is a guy building a DIY ultrasonic cleaner that can do like 4-5 records at a time which is cool.

Build thread here for it. Seems like a basic DIY kit...
    http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=15515
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don't know about the vinyl cleaning unit but those are some lucky woofers!
    @Toolfan66‌ .... Show off :wink: .....

I think your is the best DIY I've seen.

There is a guy building a DIY ultrasonic cleaner that can do like 4-5 records at a time which is cool.

Build thread here for it. Seems like a basic DIY kit...
    http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=15515

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Outstanding workmanship!

I get by with my Nitty Gritty Hybrid 2. Does vinyl and CD's. Looks like this. I scrub/steam clean on an old turntable. Bought it used.

Nitty_Gritty_3.5_FI_Hybrid_2_wood_Record_and_CD_Cleaning_Machine_with_hinged_dustcover.JPG
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Nitty Gritty 1.5 FI. I've had it for 5 years or so. Bought used. Still going strong. I'm using down at the record store where I'm working part time.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    For those who buck at the cost....I think of it two different ways.

1) If you have 400 lps, would you pay a buck per record for those to sound significantly better....and still have a used record cleaner at the end? I would.

2) We spend so much money upgrading components, cables etc...trying to eek out as much SQ as we possibly can. When it comes to vinyl, absolutely nothing improves SQ more than a vacuum RCM. Not even close. And a RCM is cheaper than just about any single component piece you can buy.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    It really does make sense. I have about 800 or so. That's 50 cents a record. Well worth the cost!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    I've got a 16.5. It's not cheap, but after cleaning over 800 discs with it, the cost doesn't really seem all that high any more.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.