PSW10 super quiet?

Options
So in my quest to upgrade from some cheap computer speakers I've managed to put together the following: Sherwood RD-7106 receiver, Polk RT800's up front, can't remember the model for the rear's, and I just acquired my first sub, the PSW10. Since my receiver is powering the front and rear speakers I plugged the sub into the pre-amp on my receiver. At first I thought the sub wasn't working at all, but I did a tone test and definitely got sound. I have to turn the volume on the sub to Max to actually hear it at all when I play music though. I also have the bass on the receiver turned way up. What am I doing wrong?

I tried using a 3.5mm jack from my iphone to the sub RCA jack and it's quite loud when I have the volume turned only a 1/3rd of the way up, much much louder than when I go through the receiver. Is my receiver the problem? It wouldn't seem like it since the sub is self powered. I've tried several different RCA cables, one was a y split cable. I also have the low pass turned all the way up on the sub. Can't figure out what's going on and I have no headroom for adjustment other than trying to turn the bass on the receiver even higher.

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    The psw10 isn't worth having. I know....because I have one. I tried to run it in a 10x20 room and had the same results as you.

It might be ok in a tiny room, but again...I don't think its an item worth owning.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Edit...saw that you said it got loud with the phone. No idea, but whenever I ran mine through a receiver it was not good.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited September 2014
    Options
    My suggestion would be to try running the speaker outputs of your receiver to the speaker-level inputs to the sub, rather than the line-in inputs. I've had much better results connecting this way to Polk entry-level subs such as the PSW-10 and PSW-202.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • classic carl
    Options
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to try running the speaker outputs of your receiver to the speaker-level inputs to the sub, rather than the line-in inputs. I've had much better results connecting this way to Polk entry-level subs such as the PSW-10 and PSW-202.

What he said...Connect the main speaker outs to the sub and then connect the sub speaker outs to the main speakers. No RCA plugs needed. Use speaker wire.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450