Beats Solo 2

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited August 2014 in Headphones
WOW.... looks like the new version are supposed to be quite good... Hoping that Beats actually have produced a new better product as I believe the headphone market is going to help bring in more folks to the mi-fi and hi-fi markets in the near future as people try to get the same performance out of their headphones in their HT and stereo setups..... Which hopefully will help make the market expand farther than it is right now....

Now I am not saying Beats are necessarily something that most of our systems sound like, but they are a very acceptable starting point for many folks on the road to hopefully more enjoyable listening....
I had no problem coming to the conclusion that the Solo2 belongs on the "Wall of Fame" as a reference on-ear, sealed headphone at the $200 mark. In the end, if I had to pick only one, I would choose the Solo2 over either the Momentum On-Ear or V-Moda XS due to it's smooth and coherent mid-range and warm character, which I tend to prefer, but only by the smallest of margins and I'm sure others would make different choices depending on tastes.

innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent-page-2

And will end it with TonyB's infamous quote... :grinning:
Whatever blows your s a c k back
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I picked up a pair to test them out and they're pretty good. They're a little too rolled off up top for my personal tastes but sound fairly balanced overall if you like a warmer sounding headphone.
  • The Noontec Hammo is a better alternative to the Beats IMO. It looks a lot like the Beats Studio but has much better sound quality. I purchased a pair about 3 months ago and have been quite impressed given its sub $125 price tag on amazon. The Noontec Zoro HD's are styled after the Solo, but again sounds much better. I haven't heard the new Solo2 yet however. I think if anyone is considering the Beats because of their style they should give the Noontec's a look.
    https://www.noontecusa.com/product/noontec-hammo-stereo-headphones
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2014
    Bit the bullet. Son wanted a stylish, decent sounding headphone for office/portable use that had reasonable isolation. Just put in an order for a silver version of the solo 2.0. Reviews have been a 180 degree swing from the old opinions on Beats.

This will be a X-mas present so I'll get a chance to compare them to some ATH-M50s and Sony Studio 7506s. I might also throw an open phone like the my Q701s in just for fun-(even though that's really NOT fair-next tier cans)! Looking forward to the comparisons.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited December 2014
    Since they OWN the market it really makes sense to offer a more balanced option vs. the "HOT" bass heavy original sound. If I were their product manager, I would push to have a variety of sonic signatures to choose from....they can do what they want at this point.

Will have to listen to them before I make a purchase.....I plan to pick up a set of the Limited Edition Audio Technica ATH-M50xBL as my main do everything set. Just waiting for the after the Holiday sales next year. $189 is more than I want to pay. I missed the $135 shipped deal that included a FiiO E6 amp:
    http://slickdeals.net/f/7439287-audio-technica-ath-m50x-blue-professional-headphones-fiio-e6-amplifier-135-with-free-shipping

Waiting for another on of those...
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2