using center channel speakers as front mains??

Options
felipe
felipe Posts: 423
edited August 2014 in Speakers
Question?? Would it be any different to use center channel speakers for the mains as oppose to the usual bookshelf/floorstanders?? Any sonic benefit?? Would it be a better tonal match?? I ask because one of my cousins is starting the HT gig, and space is limited. I offered some suggestions, but he wants to not use bookies... I know its weird. Any thoughts?? Has anyone done or doing this in their setup??
My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

Post edited by felipe on

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited August 2014
    Options
    What's the opposition to bookshelf speakers but the okay for center channel speakers?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • felipe
    edited August 2014
    Options
    According to him, the space available is shallow in height...more width space. I guess thats why he mentioned center channel speakers. He's on a budget and prefers not to purchase online, so I suggested the Polk tsx series or the AJ pios..since he can find those at BB. I also said that if he used bookies he can just lie them on their sides..he doesn't want to do that tho.
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• felipe
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Well I sold my center channel to my cousin...he liked it a lot lol. I think he might get a couple more since he's dead set on the center speakers for mains idea..so we'll see.

I've had to reassign speakers in my setups. I've put the pio fs52s for my 2ch music setup ( my other half likes some hip/hop and more r&b...figured those would better suit than the tsi100s ), and I put the tsi100s in my now 2.1 HT setup. I re-caled it in such.. Sounds pretty darn good for just using bookies and a sub;-) I'm kinda missing the center channel tho. I'm looking at the tsx series center channel. I don't really want to purchase online, that's why I haven't considered the remaining Tsi series center. Would the tsx series mate well with the tsi series??