WTB - SL3000TL Tweeters (I think)

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,020
edited February 2004 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
We blew two tweeters in the 1.2TL and are on the search for two of the tweeters. SL3000tl I believe they are. Don't ask how we blew them, we're not sure........lol
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I have 2 that Russman gave me. They are not perfect, but look pretty good. You can have them if you pay shipping. Email me at Warlocks1@aol.com. Jeff
  • VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Dad may email you, keep on the look out!

Thanks!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I'm getting the feeling no one in your family should own GOOD gear. You've had the SDA's for what, a few hours, already 2 tweeters are shot?

Is your family deaf? What happened? 'Lets see how loud it will go.' (and you don't stop until something gives?)

Sorry, but nothing gets my **** hairs up more than ABUSE of good gear, by the less informed.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    My Dad likes it loud, much louder than I do.

He likes it in the range of 110-120db. That is his *normal* range when everyone is gone. The second we hooked them up, he turned them up to the 110db range. That is easiest 110db I have ever heard right there. Easy speakers to listen to.

Anyways, it wasnt volume that blew them. I believe it was the problems we were having with the amp at first. It was shorting out, causing a power surge, the lights would dim...etc, I believe it happened at that time...

Anyways, good gear or not, the tweeters are blown.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Well said Sid, you and your Dad are **** audio MORONS.

Hell, couple more days, you'll have taken EIGHT perfectly good (rare) sl3000's out of commission, you should be PROUD.

I like you Sid, you know I do, but I'm VERY disappointed here - you should have kept the whole SDA story to yourself. God knows there aren't any other people that would give a **** to have the speakers your pops does, and treat them with respect.

What a **** joke.

-Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    lol, you're crazy.

I didn't even do it and you're sitting here telling me off....waaaaa

Look, the way these speakers are used, is not in my control. So save the words for him, not me.

Where did you get that *I* blew them?

Only speaker I have blown is the M&K.........bleh
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited February 2004
    Options
    TURN IT DOWN!!
    If you want to listen to volume levels like that than buy some big old DJ speakers or a pair of CV's or somthing. The only time I blew a Polk tweeter was on my Mon.10's years ago, and I was using a receiver, during a party when I was Drunk. I sometimes blast my 1.2 tls, but never to distorted levels and use quality amps. You guys must really be cranking them up. Good luck fixing yours 1.2's. I like my 1.2's so much that I might buy a second pair.
  • VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Fact is, the amp wasnt distorting. The speakers were playing stresslessly
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Did you really expect anything but this very thing to happen at some point. It was only a matter of time. Have fun searching for SL3000's for the rest of your lives.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    we have 2 on their way! ;)

We plan to give them all an oil change as well. and hope to get the other 2 repaired.
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I was in the process of making a deal with the seller for those speakers when he took the auction down. I had everything lined up to drive 6 hours to pick them up. I will admit that I passed on a golden chance to buy a set of 1.2's from soupbone but the circumstances were beyond my control. Good grab on those beauties but please, for the sake of everyone else who wants to buy a pair, take care of them!
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Good lord.

Let me explain the situation here. For god sakes.

It took us 2 hours to get this amp right.

We had major problems with hook up due to visibility behind the rack. We disconnected the old wires from the yammer and sent them to the Soundcraftsman.

Here, we wired them up, there was a *short*. This short, was major. When you turned it on it was in distortion city. The lights dimmed and it screamed at us what the heck did yall do? We narrowed it down to the cables, we thought it was right. We thought we had a shorted out y splitter. This was not the case.

This boggled our mind, it still shorted. Turns out, the wires had a missing piece that was touching the back of the amp and was doing whatever. The short was terrible, and in the process a terribly LOUD pop was sent to the right speaker. Where 2 tweeters were fried. OK?

During the listening, we watched the amp, the LEDs blinked ocasionally, according to the craftsman manual, this is ok. We thought nothing of it. Everything was ok. The 1.2 showed NO stress to reproduce the levels we played it at. It remained clear, articulate and utterly amazing. We had no thoughts of a blown tweeter or danger of blowing one.

I was on the phone with my Dad about 30 minutes or so ago and he informed me the tweeter we blew had been blown before, it had been replaced. The tweeter had also been taken apart before. What this matters to any of you, I dont know.

We inspected the speaker over, and we found NOTHING wrong with what happened. Jesse has even played his 2.3TL louder than what we just played the TL. We didn't even reach limits of the speakers or the amp. Fact is, we don't know WHEN the tweeter blew or HOW. Fact is, it IS blown and we didn't know it until we actually shoved our head up to it on accident when we placed the amp inside the cabinet....

The deal we made with the seller, was about 20 hours after he listed the auction. It took him 24 hours to take the auction down after they were sold.

Russ can be mad at me and my dad all he wants. We plan to search out and purchase all the tweeters we can and even want to try the replacement tweeter for it. I highly doubt you will see anymore posts about blown SL3000 tweeters. If you do, note this. It will not be, and was not my fault.

sheeeeeeeeez!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Couple things.....

One. If you two are listening at 120db, neither of you will be listening long. That's damaging to your hearing. To say nothing of the fact that at that level it's not about the nuance and flavor of the music, it's just about how loud I can get it. In that instance, I concur, get some pro audio junk and abuse that, not a pair of classics.

Two. You had a short, couldn't find it and said, eff it and pressed on anyway? That doesn't make a lot of sense. If I have a problem with CHEAP gear, I don't proceed until I can figure what the issue is.

Three. You don't NEED to exhaust the amp to fry a tweeter. Listening at that level, very likely an intense passage probably exceeded the headroom of the amp, if only for a short time, and that would probably be enough to fry a tweeter or two.

Four. Sid, what you are missing here is that there are a lot of guys around here that would give thier left **** to have gear like that and probably never will. You have been blessed at an early age. To see it treated so shabbily irritates many of us. It's the percieved lack of appreciation for what you have that irks.

G'head and destroy them makes no difference to me.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Trey

Just out of curiosity, are you actually measuring the db levels you are quoting? Or are they just estimated by you? And are they peaks or average levels? Just wondering.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2004
    Options
    With that much power you cannot blow a tweeter (unless it is just ready to go) by generally playing music too loud. The protection polyfuse will shut them down every time. A quick loud pop as was described could.

Now,
    Keep in mind that you (your dad) are playing with some real power now. There are no second chances. A cable falls out, a wire short, an equipment pop, anything and you have destroyed something. It is the difference between putting a bandaid on someone and cutting out their heart to replace it with a new one! There is a whole different protocol to deal with here.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I know Max, our intentions were not to blow the tweeters. The speakers showed NO signs of stress or the stages of blowing.

Troy, go back to your hole where you came from with Russ in hibernation. psssssssh

We measured it out, we had just got through calibrating the system.

It played about on average of 105db to 110db. C*** Weighted.

You have been blessed at an early age. To see it treated so shabbily irritates many of us. It's the percieved lack of appreciation for what you have that irks.

G'head and destroy them makes no difference to me.

Again, for all you morons in the peanut gallery that seek me out when I post about something. If you would PAY ATTENTION, you would be able to read this SIMPLE FACT. I had SQUAT to do with the blowing of this tweeter.

WE DID NOT IGNORE THE SHORT. We spent 2 HOURS on the dag blame thing. We eventually worked it out, it played fine, didn't short. We plugged it up, turned it on! Wa la! jeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PLEASE FOR ALL THATS HOLY. GO BACK IN YOUR HOLE WHERE YOU CAME FROM!
  • madmax
    edited February 2004
    Options
    MX,
    I don't think anyone is annoyed at you personally for blowing up your dads tweeters, they just feel bad about loosing another set of polk tweeters off the face of the planet.
    madmax

• VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I am done with this.

If no one can comprehend what happened exactly and who did what, then there is no need for me even to participate if the blame is just going in the wrong direction. sheeeez

I didnt blow an effin thing up
  • madmax
    edited February 2004
    Options
    :D

• VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Losing another set of Polk tweeters.

I have a feeling, before it is over. My Dad will have adopted the new replacement. Or atleast give them a test run. If that ever happens, then........8 SL3000 will be for sale! :eek:

Just imagine......all the people I *wont* let him sell them too ;)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    BTW, before you get all in a twist, that was a joke :rolleyes:
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2004
    Options
    It is very possible they were both blown before Sid's dad even got them. Amazing deal warlocks1, free SL3000's can't beat that
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Yeah, that was very nice of him..

Again, we dont know when or how they are blown. The fluid inside of them is still there, there is no rip, melt, etc on the dome, voice coil appears to be in great shape, no physical damage what so ever. I guess it just.........died?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2004
    Options
    We are all smart enough to know that you personally did not fry that tweeter. There were posts asking questions, poking fun, making fun, and stating general concern. You should be thanking the Polk deity for blessing you with some replacements from a local member, they are not common or easy to obtain...instead of complaining about the feedback you receive.

If you do not wish to hear feedback about something, then don't post the question.

If you do not wish to hear feedback on something you don't even own, then don't post the question.

If you want to consistently un-validate all your knowledge and opinion by changing it every three months, then post away, you seem quite able to accomplish that task.

You are like a vintage tuner that needs the belt replaced.

You are done with this? Good, can't wait until the next brilliant thread you create.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Yall are all crazy......

Polk has replacements for the SL3000......IDENTICLE.......pssssssh

I asked if anyone had tweeters.

Someone did. He was generous. I said thank you.

That is the thread. That is ALL this thread is. What you crazy people transform it into, is your choices. How I react, is how you create it. If you take an easy thread, and turn it in a war. I will treat it as a war.
  • VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Where did I ask for opinions? Comments?

I asked for an effin tweeter. According to the thread itself, this thread should have been over on the 3rd post.

These tweeters are hardly rare. If you would just go to CONTACT.........KEN...............Mention the 1.2TL, the SL3000, he will turn you to a replacement. He said they sound EXACTLY alike, only differences is how they look.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe that Sid would blow up his dad's tweeters on his SDA's. Unreal. Sid, I can't wait until your dad gets home and finds out what you've done. And by using the Yamaha no less ... unbelievable.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Oh yeah ;)

You're so right........I should go hide! *looks around swiftly*
  • madmax
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Well,
    When you got little ones running around...
    madmax

• VR3
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Mark,
    Yall may be smart enough to know I didnt fry them tweeters.

However, yall should know I am not smart enough when yall are poking fun and acting like butts for no apparent reason. Obviously, after being here for 2-3 years, this is not my high point and I do not like to read it, see it, especailly when I did nothing wrong. Maybe this wouldnt bother me so much if I were not the only one continuously getting ragged on.

I also, have no doubts that the comments from Russ and Troy were 100% there and were meant to stab. Troy has nothing better to do, Russ......well Russ is Russ.

Comments are welcome, but I didn't ask for comments. I didnt even ask a question. I asked if anyone had a tweeter or two they would sell.

Warlocks was highly generous, he offered. My Dad accepted it. The continuous bashing I am receiving for nothing I had control of, I don't care to read. Thats why they put the PM feature on these boards. So people like you can rag on whoever you want and that person can just delete you. Rather great thought, might I say.

- The Humorless Sid :D

PS: THANK YOU WARLOCKS!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Sid,

I wasn't bashing you and to be honest every time I post something to you I'm frankly getting sick of your attitude.

If you don't want people's comments, keep your pie hole shut.

As far as the rest of it goes, the what's and why's, I could care less.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut