Audyseey Dynamic EQ on or off??

Options
felipe
felipe Posts: 423
edited August 2014 in Electronics
Hey y'all. Does anyone have any experience with Audyssey Dynamic EQ?? I know what it is supposed to do, but I was wondering if I changed the speaker trim levels would that effect it? I'm thinking of upping the trim levels as follows:

FL (-5.5 to 0 )
FR (-6.0 to -0.5 )
C ( -6.5 to -1.0 )
SW ( -7.0 to -1.5 )

Im keeping the ratios between the channels the same to maintain the balance obtained when running Audyssey. Does anyone that have this feature here even use it?? I find it makes some material rather unnaturally bass heavy. Would changing these levels affect how dynamic eq works??
My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

Post edited by felipe on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have it and I use it.

Its nice to be able to toggle it on and off.

Mainly I keep it on.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Those trim levels seem low to me. You won't hurt anything by experimenting with the speaker levels, try it and see what sounds best to your ears.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I should ask what your crossover frequencies are for your surrounds, and if your listening in "All Channel Stereo"

I found if I ran my LSi setup (15's, C, F/X) full range then it got boomy, but crossed at 80 (fronts at 60) they are fine, even with all channel stereo.

All channel stereo also adds a bit more bass since all channels are getting the same signal rather than either own discrete mix.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • felipe
    edited August 2014
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Those trim levels seem low to me. You won't hurt anything by experimenting with the speaker levels, try it and see what sounds best to your ears.

Those trim levels were set by the audyssey auto-cal. Of course those values were set b/c audyssey sets according to reference level volumes ( 0db ). Who listens to reference levels at home?? I sure don't.

My main question is if I up the trim levels will it screw up the dynamic eq correction? If I do, will I even need to use dynamic eq??
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• felipe
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I should ask what your crossover frequencies are for your surrounds, and if your listening in "All Channel Stereo"

I found if I ran my LSi setup (15's, C, F/X) full range then it got boomy, but crossed at 80 (fronts at 60) they are fine, even with all channel stereo.

All channel stereo also adds a bit more bass since all channels are getting the same signal rather than either own discrete mix.

I got my xover points at 60 fr the mains and 80 for my center. For movies I use the auto decode and for TV I use pro logic II cinema.

• ahmed
    ahmed Posts: 23
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I would recommend against messing with the trim levels. Audyssey sets those trim levels based on your room and in such a way so that 0 on the MV would correspond to reference. Adding a constant amount to all channels should be like bumping your volume up by that amount so it has no real benefit.
    All of what Dynamic EQ does is that it boosts the low end. I don't like what it does to the sound so I usually turn it off and turn up the subwoofer trim by 3-5 dbs which sounds better to my ears.
    felipe wrote: »
    Those trim levels were set by the audyssey auto-cal. Of course those values were set b/c audyssey sets according to reference level volumes ( 0db ). Who listens to reference levels at home?? I sure don't.

My main question is if I up the trim levels will it screw up the dynamic eq correction? If I do, will I even need to use dynamic eq??
    My system:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=ahmedreda

RTI A9/CSI A6/RTI A5
    Subs: 3xRythmik Audio FV15HP
    Denon 4311CI/Emotiva XPA-2/Emotiva XPA-5
    BenQ W6000/W7000 projectors/130" 16:9 screen
    Playstation 3/WDTV Live/Roku 2 XS /Apple TV/Tivo HD[/SIZE]
  • ahmed
    ahmed Posts: 23
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Those trim levels should not a problem as long as they are within the adjustment range which in this case they are.
    If for example a receiver can adjust from -12 to +12 and it sets the trim level to -12 that means that it is possible that the receiver was trying to go to something lower than -12 and it couldn't so it settled for the lowest amount possible.
    tonyb wrote: »
    My system:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=ahmedreda

RTI A9/CSI A6/RTI A5
    Subs: 3xRythmik Audio FV15HP
    Denon 4311CI/Emotiva XPA-2/Emotiva XPA-5
    BenQ W6000/W7000 projectors/130" 16:9 screen
    Playstation 3/WDTV Live/Roku 2 XS /Apple TV/Tivo HD[/SIZE]
  • felipe
    edited August 2014
    Options
    ahmed wrote: »
    I would recommend against messing with the trim levels. Audyssey sets those trim levels based on your room and in such a way so that 0 on the MV would correspond to reference. Adding a constant amount to all channels should be like bumping your volume up by that amount so it has no real benefit.
    All of what Dynamic EQ does is that it boosts the low end. I don't like what it does to the sound so I usually turn it off and turn up the subwoofer trim by 3-5 dbs which sounds better to my ears.

That's what I thought at first. Just to verify, I contacted audyssey directly. They said that by using the dynamic eq reference level offsets ( which I completely forgot about ) it would be OK to up the trim levels without **** up dynamic eq function. Example, if I up the trim levels by 5 db then I_would set the reference level offset at 5db...and dynamic eq function will operate correctly. Who knew?? Going to try it out..see how it goes....

• felipe
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I increased the trim levels by 5db and set the offset at 5db...voila! Not only does it get louder, but to my ears the sound is more dynamic and clear. As far as the bass...its just as powerful but not unnaturally bass heavy..more defined and clear. Now I don't have to set the master volume as high now...guess that might explain the more dynamic sound. To anyone that has issues with dynamic eq...give this method a shot. It works...at least for me it did.