Speaker Cables + Interconnects - affordable/moderate entry to hear the difference?

Options
13»

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    I would truly like to try the MIT cables. Whether one is deemed to be for or against cables making meaningful differences, I have never tried them and think it could be interesting.
  • msg
    edited May 2016
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    I would truly like to try the MIT cables. Whether one is deemed to be for or against cables making meaningful differences, I have never tried them and think it could be interesting.
    If you're open to checking out MIT, you can keep an eye out in the FS thread, or also here in the MIT Clearance Center - http://mitcables-clearance.com/collections/weekly-special

I can speak for the Shotgun S3 line (older model than the newer 3.3). Others are speaking for the AVT series. You can usually check on Sunday or Monday eves to see what's available, or sign up for the newsletter. Stock changes weekly. For instance, there are no S3's available right now, but there may be next weel. Right now, there are some x.y sets available and also a set of demo S2's, which would be the next better model from the S3's.

For best results, go with a matching set of speaker cables and a set of interconnects. Some info on equipment in use may be helpful as well, as there may be others with experience with the same equipment as you and other types of cables that work well with respective gear.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I came across an interesting old article earlier today while reading up on Bruce Brisson and Monster roots before starting MIT Cables. In it is a reference to Dr. Polk - I thought he was talking about Matt Polk - anyone know if he was?

Article attached.
    PS. I only understood about 5% of this. But my stereo sounds good.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    I might have told this before so sorry if that's true. I saw that M.I.T. was having a really good clearance sale and noticed some 10 footers w/ bananas on both ends which are what I would call convertible where you can screw on pins, spades, bananas. going for $200. These included the inter phase boxes on them. I p/m Jesse and asked what he thought as an entry level foray into boutique cable. I did say that 1 2B was inches away from my amp and the other at 10' would work. I also informed him at that time I was still using a speaker selector. So believe it or not I got Jesse to say way more that 3 words and he explained that the close speaker was not a problem just don't coil the excess, but going through a selector was defeating the purpose of using this kind of cable to begin with. As you all now know I ditched the selector and I'm going direct w/ all my sets now and I just might revisit M.I.T. clearance house if it comes up again and mad cash is on hand. So far I used for speaker runs.
    1. 16 gu. Home Depot Clear--w/ bananas
    2. 14gu. Monoprice jacketed----w/ bananas
    3. 12 gu. Blue Jean Cable Belden jacketed---w/ bananas

I/Cs--
    1.generic-- comes w/ gear very cheap
    2. Monster Cable-- MC sends better grade after complaint
    3. Signal Cable --analogs
    4. P=Man's home made, used from amp to pre/amp
    5. AudioQuest -twin headed from cdp to pre
    6. DH-Labs--audio out > tuner in on pre
    7. t.t.- built ins w/o a gnd. wire

2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    You guys put me in the mood

FtgcxfO.jpg
    Man....there is a flashback to my youth....may have to dial them up on Spotify later.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

Well that's a start, at least your willing to try and that's all anyone can ask. Though judging by your previous post, goes against what you claim to believe about science being able to prove everything. Let us know how it turns out when you do try them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Well that's a start, at least your willing to try and that's all anyone can ask. Though judging by your previous post, goes against what you claim to believe about science being able to prove everything. Let us know how it turns out when you do try them.

This is a tough subject. I have read several subjective descriptions about this stuff, usually they tend to not have much or any "Backup" proof, of their anecdote about trying them, but tends to focus around "I tried it and I know what I heard"

So yes, there is nothing to gain or lose by trying some.

But anything I try, I would insist on testing myself, and not falling prey to any expectations, knowledge of what is being under test, and so on.

Not a blind test, nor an A/B test, but simply let someone else dictate what is being used, and I become a random listener. Knowledge of what is being used, to me anyways, mostly invalidates a listening experience to something new, as one is aware of the new item.

When one is not aware of it being item X or Y or Z, it then comes down to how it sounds only, and no confusing thoughts about the actual item.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    This is a tough subject. I have read several subjective descriptions about this stuff, usually they tend to not have much or any "Backup" proof, of their anecdote about trying them, but tends to focus around "I tried it and I know what I heard"

So yes, there is nothing to gain or lose by trying some.

But anything I try, I would insist on testing myself, and not falling prey to any expectations, knowledge of what is being under test, and so on.

Not a blind test, nor an A/B test, but simply let someone else dictate what is being used, and I become a random listener. Knowledge of what is being used, to me anyways, mostly invalidates a listening experience to something new, as one is aware of the new item.

When one is not aware of it being item X or Y or Z, it then comes down to how it sounds only, and no confusing thoughts about the actual item.

Why would you feel like you are falling prey to anything, it sounds like you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. You don't want a blind test, or an A/B test, yet having no knowledge of what is being tested by having someone else dictate what is being used sort of lands right on top of that, no?

And just because someone is aware of what is being used does not invalidate a listening test. I have heard differences in cables when I knew exactly what I was listening to. I was not trying to win a contest or pick out the most expensive one, either; just trying to determine what sounded the best to my ears.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • msg
    Options
    Guys, come on, Ken just cleaned this up. We keep getting back into these debates. We've been through enough of these to know how it ends every time.

I'm calling the three of you out on this. Specific gear, cables, and listening impressions are more helpful contributions to these types of discussions.
    I disabled signatures.
  • K_M
    edited June 2016
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Guys, come on, Ken just cleaned this up. We keep getting back into these debates. We've been through enough of these to know how it ends every time.

I'm calling the three of you out on this. Specific gear, cables, and listening impressions are more helpful contributions to these types of discussions.

"my curiosity is getting the better of me on the cable front, and I'd like to give this a shot to try to determine for myself whether this really makes a worthwhile difference to the listening experience for me. I'm not trying to come across as a skeptic here, but being relatively new to this, it's a little confusing when you see firm, logical positions from both sides of the argument. I'm open to the idea, and it makes sense to me."

Sorry I was elaborating on this paragraph you made in your original post. I thought that was the topic we were discussing. I was trying to do the same thing you are I assumed. My post was mentioning how I was planning on proceeding, since I come from a somewhat skeptical view, and see positions on both sides as you mention above.

But sorry if that disrupted things.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    69r8qgys2wqn.gif
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Options
    I recently switched all my cables to Blue Jeans Cables and am very happy with them and I didn't spent a fortune either. Was using Transparent I/Cs before and Audioquest speaker cables. I like the Blue Jeans cables better sonically.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... If you're serious about "connecting" your speakers*, but haven't invested even a happy meal's worth of $ or a movie's worth (time) INSIDE those things* (e.g. rewire/XO), you're leaving a bunch of "money on the table" or more specifically SQ.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Do tell.
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... If you're serious about "connecting" your speakers*, but haven't invested even a happy meal's worth of $ or a movie's worth (time) INSIDE those things* (e.g. rewire/XO), you're leaving a bunch of "money on the table" or more specifically SQ.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do tell. What blue jeans cables? :*
    Gunther16 wrote: »
    I recently switched all my cables to Blue Jeans Cables and am very happy with them and I didn't spent a fortune either. Was using Transparent I/Cs before and Audioquest speaker cables. I like the Blue Jeans cables better sonically.

• acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    Options
    MSG..

Back to your question....

When I first started this hobby I started off with generic speaker cable, then to Signal Cable and finally MIT cables. (help from this forum)

With every change of I heard small nuances, detail, clarity and separation. I have also borrowed different cables and always have gone back to MIT.

When I went to a full MIT cable system, the change in sound almost make me think I was listening to a new (improved) speaker.

HTH
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    not sure what X has against passive filters? :*
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    msg wrote: »

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That is what I'm interested in as well. That is what I'm asking.
    oh well, just wanted to talk cable experiences. No one has to.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    That is what I'm interested in as well. That is what I'm asking.
    oh well, just wanted to talk cable experiences. No one has to.

No reason why we can't talk cable experience, this is an audio site last I checked.

Some of us talk....and do nothing, while some talk from experiences. Many different experiences too which favor both sides of the discussion.

Many moons ago, I was in the same camp as cable nay sayers. Except the more I played around with them, trying different brands with different gear, it became apparent there was something more to this cable thing.

Did I fall prey to some snake oil along the way ? Absolutely...but as they say, one bad apple won't spoil the whole bushel. Sometimes ya have to kiss a few frogs to find that Prince of a cable that sits right with your ears and system. If you simply go on marketing and reviews, every cable is the next best thing to sliced bread.

Imagine if you had to buy clothes without being able to try them on before you bought them. Think you might return a few things ? Can't really try cables before you buy them. Audio is a bit different in that you have some to guide you into better decisions, some may not tickle your fancy but the odds will be in your favor. You have a great forum here with truck loads of knowledgeable people, use that resource and you'll avoid the pitfalls/snake oil, and save some coin along the way. Plus a laugh or 2 makes it easy also.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    Options
    I agree with contributions on topic with cable experiences. That's what this thread is for - examples of cable/gear contributing to sound quality improvements for those on the fence and/or open to exploring cables as a means of system improvement and tuning. It's just that simple.

Seemed to me like Ned was baiting X in his comment just above, which I would have preferred to take up by PM so as not to pollute a thread, but I'm apparently on Ned's ignore list so am responding here to clarify. (Ned, check yo jank; let me know by pm if it's because my armpits smell like Italian subs or something)

By all means, everyone should feel free to discuss and contribute on topic with actual experience with cable/gear recommendations resulting in pleasing sound quality improvements, as some have. That was the original topic. Questions are good, too. Listeners experience improvement or don't - either is okay. No need to battle for mass conversion one way or another. Those open will explore. Those not can carry on as well.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Definitely seemed like someone trying to stir the pot, by poking the cable bear in that post.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I bought some Audioquest Type 4's from Audio Advisor called "No Thrills" cause the were the cheapest cables I could at the 20ft length I needed for my computer room setup that were a step above what I was using. They take the bulk cable and terminate them how ever you want.

They were the cables that tripped me up and made me fall down that rabbit hole and got my started on collecting Cable's :) I am still using them today in my Computer room.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I had some type 4's I sold a while back. I wish I kept them as a back up, but I tend to hoard things.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• msg
    Options
    lol
    ...because you never know when you might need cables for a 9th system somewhere in the house...
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hoarding cables is a must if you are adding or swapping gear

Post edited by txcoastal1 on
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    Options
    Agreed, and I've got a small stash developing. Another thing I've noticed that makes a case for hoarding is that preferences change. And like you say, adding or swapping - what works for one system, may not work as well for another. Seller's remorse is a bummer.
    I disabled signatures.