Speaker Cables + Interconnects - affordable/moderate entry to hear the difference?

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Yeah, thought so and that's a shame as you'll never know what you're missing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited May 2016
    Options
    = what is buyers remorse?

I'm not opposed to a good launch/line conditioning cable mind you...
    but wouldn't it be better spent putting the $1500.00-$5,000 (new)
    into a DAC, amp or speakers that eliminate w/ you don't like about
    your sound? (OP)

I've also read about people abandoning MIT cables because of
    what they are missing.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Come see the MIT bearded lady! :D
    In MIT tent are the wonders of the audio world:dizzy:
  • F1nut
    Options
    I've also read about people abandoning MIT cables because of what they are missing.

I've read about people not knowing what they were missing until they used MIT cables, but I can't say I've seen what you claim.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,446
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I started this thread nearly 2yrs ago when I was first getting more serious about audio. I've since tried MIT through their clearance center deals (thanks for the heads up on that @F1nut; couldn't touch MIT otherwise), and with some of Doug's DIY kits. If anyone reading this is in a similar position as I was - on the fence, but curious and interested in seeing for oneself - I can say that SC's and IC's from MIT's Shotgun S3 line, and from Douglas Connection Cables both offer pleasing results in the systems I've been experimenting with, with the S3's slightly edging out the DIY from DC. I can whole heartedly recommend both, though the Douglas Connection cables I'm slightly more fond of due to the DIY satisfaction, and also for the opportunity to work with Doug, which was a real pleasure.

For reference, these systems consist mostly of either Parasound or B&K amps, preamps, or AVRs, with Squeezebox Touch streaming players as the source, and oe vintage Polk or LSiM series speakers.

With MIT, the first thing I noticed was a significant increase in bass, right out of the box, to the point that I had to zero the tone controls on my pre. Within the first 24 hours, I also noticed, for example, refinements in passages of familiar pieces of music by way of greater detail without sounding harsh, and noticeable improvements in hanging/sustaining passages, which seemed to float and stand out longer, especially apparent in ethereal chick singery stuff, like Mazzy Star/Hope Sandoval. My understanding is that these types of improvements are significantly better moving up the Sx line.

In a different system of an Onyx S3 tube integrated, SBT, and HDACC, using Doug's IC's and SC's, I noticed a smooth, sweet and pleasing presentation. Best compliment I can attribute to a setup at my level in audio is that I stop listening to the system, and instead find myself kicking back enjoying the refinements of the musical presentation late into the evening - smooth, sweet, full delivery, and that repetitive, "okay, just one more song" type of listening session.

Both systems previously had Monoprice 12awg SC and their IC's, which sounded a little harsh and less full by comparison.

At this level and with my system components and room setups, these improvements may sound subtle, singularly, though cumulatively, I would not classify the improvement as such. After having had this experience, I would not sell my good cables to go back to my previous ones. For me, I've found that cables do make a difference, and I am pleased with the results at this level of investment. At first, slightly skeptical, I wanted to believe that this was placebo effect, but over the initial testing periods, I was just noticing these refinements too often to ignore, or to be able to chalk up to being in my head.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    I will also add that my initial foray into cables was a bit tentative, and so I tried out a couple of other brands that I was able to get into more cheaply through used deals. Audioquest and Signal Ultra both seemed to sound a bit brighter, edgier, and thin in my systems. I don't knock them, because I know that others have had good results with these.

These experiences ultimately propelled me to try MIT, and then once I realized that cables really can make a difference, and after speaking to other members, I contacted Doug to outfit my other systems. Franky, one of the reasons I didn't try DC sooner was because I was overwhelmed with all the choices on Doug's site, didn't know what I needed, and just couldn't decide. I should just have called him in the beginning. Doug is accessible, and he makes it much easier to decide on a design. He works happily with any budget, and doesn't push at all to upsell you. Premade, or DIY, Douglas Connection is a great option to get into better cables affordably.
    I disabled signatures.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    10 year user if I recall, on another site.
    Heck, people who post here don't like
    MIT interconnects. Don't have to look too far.

Again, putting aside finding a great deal from someone giving
    MIT cables away, wouldn't the money be better spent on
    a Stereophile A rated DAC than a MIT interconnect/Speaker cable
    combo? (for example) Nevermind the fact that the OP was looking
    for bang for the buck cable.
    F1nut wrote: »
    I've also read about people abandoning MIT cables because of what they are missing.

I've read about people not knowing what they were missing until they used MIT cables, but I can't say I've seen what you claim.

• F1nut
    Options
    All too vague. Ten year user of what model? I mean, you are aware they make a lot of product from entry level to TOTL.

Again, vague.

Obviously you, like Speedy have never tried MIT cables, so it's difficult to find merit in your comments.

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm just asking a question. I guess you don't have to answer.
    Again, being a the digital media type,
    would you say it is better to buy a pair of shotgun 3.3 bi-wire
    speaker cables and matching interconnect cables as apposed
    to buying a Benchmark DAC2 HGC or Auralic Vega DAC for example.

Just looking for peoples opinions really. This wasn't directed towards
    you, though you do beat the MIT drum pretty hard.
    All too vague. Ten year user of what model? I mean, you are aware they make a lot of product from entry level to TOTL.

Again, vague.

Obviously you, like Speedy have never tried MIT cables, so it's difficult to find merit in your comments.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    It is possible that MIT doesn't mesh well with certain systems, this definitely doesn't mean they aren't good. Shot guns seem to be the sweet spot in the line up, and as others have mentioned you can get them cheap from MIT clearance. I've seen s3 go for the 200ish mark. You couldn't get that leap in performance for 200$ that MIT can give you, by adding a 200$ DAC, or amp etc.

A pair of shot gun interconnects and speakers cables working together is a real eye opener.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks Mikey! I'll keep a lookout for a supersale.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I'm just asking a question. I guess you don't have to answer.
    Again, being a the digital media type,
    would you say it is better to buy a pair of shotgun 3.3 bi-wire
    speaker cables and matching interconnect cables as apposed
    to buying a Benchmark DAC2 HGC or Auralic Vega DAC for example.

Just looking for peoples opinions really. This wasn't directed towards
    you, though you do beat the MIT drum pretty hard.

Again, vague.

Ah well, it's not that I don't want to answer that question, it's that I can't.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

I dunno...my SDAs work up quite nicely when connected with MIT AVT3 cables....sure not the higher end cables in their catalog but they sure did add some nice icing to the sound from my old girls.

Something got lost. I didn't mean to imply their more entry level cables were not good.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Indeed. Home depot 12 gauge to bottom rung EXp wires made a massive difference in sound stage for me.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Music is a flavor---There are all different types of flavor. Can you describe the flavor? Most cases yes, because you may have heard it. They are also defined as genres (classical, rock, country, blues, jazz etc)

Systems have a flavor----Organic, forward, thumping, sterile, lively, analog, solid state, tube like etc. Can you describe it? Most cases yes, because you may have heard or experienced it, or maybe not.

Do we all like the same flavors----Maybe? Only if you can or have at least tried to hear it or have possibly experienced it.

Cables are part of a system but you can only determine their effectiveness (for yourself) if you listen and/or experience it. These experiences may be null, positive, and negative.

But how can you determine if that flavor tastes like s#!t or is great if you have never tried it.

Just my dumb 2 cent analysis
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Good points ^^^.

Kinda like saying you hate chocolate....but never tried it. I believe ice cream comes in many flavors too, what a boring world if we all subscribed to vanilla.

For those who always claim MIT cables are too costly to try.....stop looking at retail prices. MIT shotgun S3's have sold for 150 bucks, that's one decent dinner out for you and the wife and the cables will last longer.

You have to shop used when trying to advance your journey on a limited wallet. Chances are too, if you don't like them you can re sell for what you paid or darn close. Same can be said for any cable brand or gear brand, shop used and keep a sharp eye out and don't putz around when a deal surfaces. Pounce like a Jaguar. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Speedskater wrote: »
    Using 'MIT Shotgun' and 'affordable' in the same thread is an oxymoron.

Not Really....some could say the same thing about Polk LSIM's. Everything is relative to the individuals wallet.
    Well your viewpoint of reasonable & affordable is very different than mine.
    But if I the had money to afford MIT cables, I would still stick with Blue Jeans Cable.

So your gripe isn't about price then, correct ? Your using that as a reason to justify why you won't spend money on decent cables when in reality you just don't believe it's worth it or that they'll make a hoot of difference.

Should have just said so from the git-go.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Good points ^^^.

Kinda like saying you hate chocolate....but never tried it. I believe ice cream comes in many flavors too, what a boring world if we all subscribed to vanilla.

Not an apt analogy at all.
    Ice cream flavor enjoyment is entirely subjective.
    I like blue, you like red.

A more apt analogy would be Poster one suggesting an aftermarket car air filter is making his car's top speed 25 Mph faster. Poster number two then suggests that the filter could only increase the power, about 5 horsepower, and the resultant top speed could not be 25mph faster based on the realities of power needed and physics.

Poster number one then claims, "Don't tell me, I know my car feels a lot faster" I spend $5,000 on a filter, and I know what I say is right. Prove to me it does not go 25 mph faster.
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2016
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    Good points ^^^.

I like blue, you like red.

A more apt analogy would be Poster one suggesting an aftermarket car air filter is making his car's top speed 25 Mph faster. Poster number two then suggests that the filter could only increase the power, about 5 horsepower, and the resultant top speed could not be 25mph faster based on the realities of power needed and physics.

Poster number one then claims, "Don't tell me, I know my car feels a lot faster" I spend $5,000 on a filter, and I know what I say is right. Prove to me it does not go 25 mph faster.

I invited you to come to LSAF for examples, so that ends that debate.

Now if that air filter only gets you an extra 5mph instead of the 25mph but you are happy with that cost or not, and it makes me happy, wtf do you care.

Mean while the question is have you tried it or not.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I listen to a lot of punk music. Could I get cables with three points of articulation?
    (one for each chord?) :*

• tonyb
    Options
    Good points ^^^.

Oh, I'm sorry then.....because I thought audio was subjective also. Silly me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    I listen to a lot of punk music. Could I get cables with three points of articulation?
    (one for each chord?) :*

As jest or not, I don't think you can alter punk music with cables, but then again I haven't listened to Sex Pistols, Sniper, Suicide etc in a long time ;)

• tonyb
    Options
    I always thought to get Punk music to sound decent, you had to play it backwards.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    Options
    Good points ^^^.

Oh, I'm sorry then.....because I thought audio was subjective also. Silly me.

Enjoyment of sound and music yes.

Audio reproduction is not, it is all based on science, electronics and physics.

A car can feel subjectively as if it does 150 mph
    But the realities of what it can really do are all based things like science, physics and electronics.
    So the car that feels like its going 150Mph is a subjective statement, but if it is really only doing 132Mph, that is the reality of what physics allows it to do.

No matter how often one say it "Feels, seems, I think, But to me it appears far faster and better", that is only a subjective impression.

Reality is often different.

• K_M
    Options
    I always thought to get Punk music to sound decent, you had to play it backwards.

Naw just loud!
  • txcoastal1
    Options

As our parents would say, when played backwards was the devils music....wait that was AC/DC, Motley Crue, and Black Sabbath

• Nightfall
    Options
    Most punk sounds like garbage from a sound quality stand point. You can't polish a ****. I still love it though.

• Nightfall
    Options
    You guys put me in the mood

FtgcxfO.jpg

• msg
    Options
    I feel kind of honored to have you guys crap up one of my threads. I think this is the most responses any of my threads have seen.

Speed, I'm gonna call you out on starting this. congratulations. I think.
    I disabled signatures.