How much power for Polk RTI A9's???

124»

Comments

• ...so I would need an amp that's 200 wpc in addition to the receiver? If that's the case then why wouldn't I just get a 200 wpc receiver?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    That would cost a lot more money than getting the Pioneer and a used amp.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    What model pioneer?

Want to confirm actual preouts

Many times HT preouts are confused for 2nd zone preouts
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    edited February 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    What model pioneer?

Want to confirm actual preouts

Many times HT preouts are confused for 2nd zone preouts

I checked in the beginning too just to make sure, it has real preouts.

• Thry seem to come alive at 2-220 wpc. Parasound, Adcom, Rotel, B&K, and Parasound all make Amps that pair well with A9's.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    petek54321 wrote: »
    Indianapolis. My buddy could probably get me a discount from anything from Best Buy if you can find something on there. So, what you're saying is that if this 2 ch pioneer receiver puts out 80 wpc then I should try to find a 2 channel amp at 120 wpc, give or take (80 + 120 = 200 wpc is that how it works?)?

PM @EndersShadow ....ask him where Bobbys hifi shop is in Brownsburg. He has all sorts of gear in the classic, vintage and refurbed items. I bought a B&K amp from him. Top notch guy.
  • Nightfall
    Ahhh, Russ. Used to be a B&K pleb like me. Now he's all Rogue monoblocks with his pinky in the air. ;)

• txcoastal1
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Ahhh, Russ. Used to be a B&K pleb like me. Now he's all Rogue monoblocks with his pinky in the air. ;)

Lightman is the smartest man I know, drops gear all over the U.S. so he can pee on other peoples bushes because he can't pee on his own ;)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• lightman1

Lightman is the smartest man I know, drops gear all over the U.S. so he can pee on other peoples bushes because he can't pee on his own ;)

What's your address, Ron?
  • txcoastal1
    lightman1 wrote: »

What's your address, Ron?

Mums the word, momma didn't raise stupid....see you in Dallas :p;)

• lightman1

Still have them, J-man....I never forgets my upbringing. ;) Gotta stay humble.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    petek54321 wrote: »
    ...so I would need an amp that's 200 wpc in addition to the receiver? If that's the case then why wouldn't I just get a 200 wpc receiver?

One reason, no one makes a 200wpc receiver today. You could buy a vintage Pioneer SX-1980 at 270wpc, but you'll pay a lot more than a grand.

Do you really need a tuner? If not, look into an integrated amp or separates.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I've heard Class D Audio power amps mentioned, in conjunction with the RTi A9's. I have a pair of A9's on the way, and am trying to figure out the amp situation. My Denon AVR has pre-out's, so I'm good there... I'm looking at the Class D Audio CDA-500C as an amp choice. 250 watts per channel @ 8 ohms. A much better price than Parasound (which I just can't afford at this time - at least not 200+ watts per chanel worth of Parasound - even used). Thoughts about or experience with the "Class D Audio" brand of amps??
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    NJKinMPLS wrote: »
    I've heard Class D Audio power amps mentioned, in conjunction with the RTi A9's. I have a pair of A9's on the way, and am trying to figure out the amp situation. My Denon AVR has pre-out's, so I'm good there... I'm looking at the Class D Audio CDA-500C as an amp choice. 250 watts per channel @ 8 ohms. A much better price than Parasound (which I just can't afford at this time - at least not 200+ watts per chanel worth of Parasound - even used). Thoughts about or experience with the "Class D Audio" brand of amps??

I took a look on their site for info. There's only two reviews, both of which appear to be written by people who failed to graduate elementary school.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    F1nut wrote: »
    NJKinMPLS wrote: »
    people who failed to graduate elementary school.
    Oh....so like the average Facebook user. :p
  • Phro
    Phro Posts: 3
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I have been bi amping these speakers with my pioneer vsx-1121-k which would supposedly give 220W per channel to the fronts.

No. It doesn't work that way. The bi-amping feature on an AVR is just marketing hype. There are tons of threads regarding this here. Don't feel bad, I didn't understand it either when I first joined here. When you "bi-amp" using only an AVR, you are using a shared power supply, so you don't benefit from more power. Current is just as important as watts. I think your AVR is 110 watts/one channel driven. So that number goes down with two channels driven, three, four, and so forth.

I have a similar issue. I have the Sony Str dn1080 and the RTIA9 speakers. I'm thinking of getting a behringer a500 which apparently has 300 per channel in addition to the 165 or so that my receiver has. I'm scare that going that close to 500 watts might be dangerous to the speakers. What are your thoughts?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Phro wrote: »
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I have been bi amping these speakers with my pioneer vsx-1121-k which would supposedly give 220W per channel to the fronts.

No. It doesn't work that way. The bi-amping feature on an AVR is just marketing hype. There are tons of threads regarding this here. Don't feel bad, I didn't understand it either when I first joined here. When you "bi-amp" using only an AVR, you are using a shared power supply, so you don't benefit from more power. Current is just as important as watts. I think your AVR is 110 watts/one channel driven. So that number goes down with two channels driven, three, four, and so forth.

I have a similar issue. I have the Sony Str dn1080 and the RTIA9 speakers. I'm thinking of getting a behringer a500 which apparently has 300 per channel in addition to the 165 or so that my receiver has. I'm scare that going that close to 500 watts might be dangerous to the speakers. What are your thoughts?

It won't be dangerous to your speakers, but you CAN'T add an amp to that receiver without a converter, which will add a LOT of noise to your system. That nose, in addition to the noise already present in a PRO amp, will sound terrible.

Start by upgrading your receiver, or just leave it alone...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    I run mine happily at 350wpc. They love it.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500