How much power for Polk RTI A9's???

Options

Comments

• Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    Options
    I think you're fine for HT and depending on your music choices and loudness likeness ok for music. What I found when running SDAs in 2 channel off of a Carver TFM35...250w @ 8ohm...550 @ 4ohm, that a really dynamic recording played at 90dbs average ...on the meters would average about 30w. When dynamic peaks would hit...not talking about the music getting perceptably louder...maybe a little...the needles would peg. Kick drums and bass would ask for mega current. When it's there, there's no distortion even though the recording is asking for 100 times the power. No AVR can do that.

On cheaper speakers, turn up the volume to close to reference and you burn tweeters. With an amp, you'll get there...course your ears will hurt.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • aicardi
    aicardi Posts: 27
    Options
    im bak with more questions!!!

i need help im looking for an amp for my a9s n nees 400 watts per ch but cant find any

the only 1 is emotiva xpr-5
    id like to c other options but its as if this never existed b4 emotiva unless there a lingo issue n im not looking in the proper places

i remember some 1 telling me about sunfire grand cinema or something but it too seems non existant:s

n my sound system is far from loud compared to my new standars so id like to find the right amp n not over spendi

thanks
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I use a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2's with my RTi12's (essentially same as a9's) with great success. They are 600 watt per channel @ 8 ohm with a 60 watt class A if critical listening is your thing. Emotiva's summer sale ends at the end of the month, and XPA1 Gen2's are currently 10% off at $989 each. I was seriously considering the XPR-2 OR XPR-5 but read that they tend to run on the warm side, which is okay for some, but not for me, as my basement HT heats up in a hurry from warm equipment. The monoblocks run extremely cool in class ab mode but do get warm in class a, which is to be expected for its inefficiency.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • aicardi
    Options
    i need to power 4 a9s
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Then you will need for Monoblocks ;) Seriously though having a9's as surrounds is overkill. If it were my decision I would sell two and replace them with fxi's. Otherwise set the surrounds as small and let the sub do the work. Having 400 plus watts for the surround channels just isn't needed. However, if you still want to use the a9's as surrounds at full range then consider one of these amps.
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7900.html
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Dude I realize that you are probably typing all these posts on your phone, but seriously, your posts are hurting my brain. STOP THE MADNESS!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • aicardi
    Options
    Sorry about the phone thin. Thats a $3500 amp ! I was hoping to spend $1500 :s. Especially since i have to ship to Canada. Unless I buy it in Canada but... cant find any.:(
  • rooftop59
    Options
    You don't have to find a single amp to power them all unless space is a concern (which I can't imagine is the case with four A9s!!!).

Buy two of these and you will likely be happy for many years. There are 3-4 available on canuck audio mart right now: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649211234-adcom-gfa-5800-mosfet-power-amplifier/
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited July 2015
    Options
    aicardi wrote: »
    Sorry about the phone thin. Thats a $3500 amp ! I was hoping to spend $1500 :s. Especially since i have to ship to Canada. Unless I buy it in Canada but... cant find any.:(
    Your asking for a lot of power :) Amp the front two, set the surrounds to small and be done with it. In my HT I have external amps on the fronts and surrounds and the AVR is powering the center and its set to small, letting the sub do its thing. There was little to no audible difference in performance of the surrounds, from letting the avr power the center and surrounds vs the center alone. The surrounds just are not near as relevant, as they are usually behind the listener and just add ambiance as well as some surround effects. The front stage however needs to be as good as it can be for dialog clarity and seamless transitions across the stage. The center, however, improved when the load of the surrounds were removed. I am certain that 4 properly powered a9's would sound better, but new amps are relatively expensive, especially when you need/want that kind of power to four speakers.

Another option would be to look for two used stereo amps, such as those from parasound.

• Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Options
    Here's one. I'm more than happy to ship to Canada for another A9 lover. :)

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/165663/fs-parasound-hca-3500-1400/p1
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• aicardi
    Options
    space is not an issue.:) If i amp just the fron 2 ,when i play movies or music at loud volumes cant i damage the back speakers?
  • rooftop59
    Options
    As already stated, if you don't amp the surrounds them make sure that they are crossed over at I would say 50hz minimum, ideally 80hz. But one you do that, you may as well have saved your coin and purchased RTi A3s for surrounds ;-)
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I may be wrong but I believe that the majority of members here, wouldn't use the surrounds when listening to music, unless you are using multi channel sacd or bluray concerts. If you set your surrounds to small then you will be asking less of the avr and lessen the chance of damage. You will be able to safely listen at a relatively loud level of 90+ db, no problem.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Buy one 5 channel amp and be done. Something with around 200 watts per channel. You can find used amps from B&k-Parrasound for under 1000 smackers....even in Canada. Add to that Carver/Sunfire/Adcom
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Buy one 5 channel amp and be done. Something with around 200 watts per channel. You can find used amps from B&k-Parrasound for under 1000 smackers....even in Canada.

Listen to this guy - knows his stuff and that id good advise!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • aicardi
    Options
    If i amp my 4 a9s does my csia6 need to be amped as well?
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Doesn't hurt, but your Avr will do just fine.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    aicardi wrote: »
    If i amp my 4 a9s does my csia6 need to be amped as well?

If your going to use all 5 speakers for music, then I'd say yeah.....especially if you like it loud.

You can also get 2- 2 channel amps from the same companies I mentioned and let the receiver handle the center alone. That way all the receivers power is focused on the center and should power it well enough.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited July 2015
    Options
    But I wouldn't think the center channel would be as power hungry as the A9's are, and if they AVR is only powering 1 speaker and that being the center channel, wouldn't that be enough power for it?

but I do understand how the center gets the most workout in multi-channel.

But if you have a center channel like Daves DIY center channel, I'd say feed the puppy anything it wants!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Inspector 24
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    My three options would be this:

2 channel just for the front A9's
    3 channel for the front three
    5 channel for all five

I wouldn't do four channels of amplification as it makes no sense to amplify your surrounds and not your center. The center speaker is a heavy hitter in multi-channel.

Agreed. My 3500 drives the A9's, and a 2003a drives the center and l/r surrounds. Only thing the avr drives is the rear center.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    My three options would be this:

2 channel just for the front A9's
    3 channel for the front three
    5 channel for all five

I wouldn't do four channels of amplification as it makes no sense to amplify your surrounds and not your center. The center speaker is a heavy hitter in multi-channel.

Then how does using a 2 channel for the fronts make any sense, leaving the center and surrounds on the avr? I agree 3 channel for the fronts is a good option, but using ext. amplification on the mains and surrounds certainly doesn't hurt if you have two stereo amps. His Yamaha RX-a10xx, will for a fact, power his center to potential if that is all it has to do. Certainly better amps are better, but his upper end Aventage is quite capable. And as far as muti channel amps go, there is some compromise as well going from a mono amp, to two channel, three, five and so on. A quality stereo amp will outperform its three channel counterpart, as the three channel does the five.
  • Inspector 24
    Options
    Completely agree Dskip.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• petek54321
    Options
    I'm considering buying a pair of A9's and a receiver. I will use them to listen to music and watch movies in a 16'x30' room. My friend works at Best Buy and can get me a discount. He recommended the pioneer sx-n30 receiver. It's only 80wpc but has pre-outs. In reading this thread that seems like it will be woefully inadequate without a seperate amp. I'm pretty much tapped out budget wise with the speakers and receiver. Can I run the speakers with this receiver for the time being and add an amp later?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Yes. BUT. Take it easy on the volume, don't try turning it up to theater or rock concert volumes, you'll damage the tweeters. Secondly, even at lower volumes, it won't sounds as good as it could.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes keep it tame or you will torch the tweeters or the xovers.

No rockin out like it's 1999. Play it like back ground music

You need 135watts min, but if you can get around 200 you'll bring the up to full potential

You can then use the receiver for your the rest of a 5.1 HT system

If you are already trying to run a 5.1 especially without a sub, I would stop until you get the amp

You'll see a huge improvement with an amp so don't be discouraged....patience will be rewarded

Welcome to Polk
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • petek54321
    Options
    how much more money would I need to spend to get into an amp? I saw another forum where people were recommending getting a $1000 amp which seems like quite a lot. What would be something reasonable? Also, as I haven't bought anything yet, can I just buy a receiver with more wpc (how much)?
  • Nightfall
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I paid $200 for my B&K. To be fair though it's a ~$350 used amp, I got a steal. What Craigslist is local to you?

• Nightfall
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Yes keep it tame or you will torch the tweeters or the xovers.

No rockin out like it's 1999. Play it like back ground music

You need 135watts min, but if you can get around 200 you'll bring the up to full potential

You can then use the receiver for your the rest of a 5.1 HT system

If you are already trying to run a 5.1 especially without a sub, I would stop until you get the amp

You'll see a huge improvement with an amp so don't be discouraged....patience will be rewarded

Welcome to Polk

The Pioneer he's looking at is 2 channel.

• petek54321
    Options
    Indianapolis. My buddy could probably get me a discount from anything from Best Buy if you can find something on there. So, what you're saying is that if this 2 ch pioneer receiver puts out 80 wpc then I should try to find a 2 channel amp at 120 wpc, give or take (80 + 120 = 200 wpc is that how it works?)?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    No sir

You would use your preouts to an actual amp via RCA cables
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a