polk monitor 50 and cs1

Options
felipe
felipe Posts: 423
edited July 2014 in Speakers
I was offered this combo from a clients family. They are in MINT condition with the packaging and accessories..for 180. Is this a good deal?? How would these compare with my pio setup in my ht( these would be replaced if I chose to purchase)? Spec wise, the Polks are more efficient. I'm also thinking that these might be better suited for HT than my pios. Not worried bout the low end ( SVS sub). Thoughts???
My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

Post edited by felipe on

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I would say a lateral move at best. Nothing special about those polks, and the price isn't really great either. My buddy got his m50s straight from polk eBay store for I think 160 shipped, and the cs1 was being blown out by newegg for I think 60 shipped. I would pass, h wont see much if any improvement.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • felipe
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Oh I see. I figured if it was worth it, I would move the pio floor standers to my 2ch rig, and sell the r40s and pio center. Some say that the AJ pios are better with music than movies, and that Polk does better with movies than music...but I suppose that is a matter of opinion.
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• felipe
    Options
    Here Iam once again on this topic. Given my AVR power ratings (75 watts/channel), which of these wouldbe better suited...the Polks or the AJ pios? My other half is being difficult..iI'mreturning the sonys b/c they didnt look right with the other furniture. She has a friend selling the above mentioned due to a move. She likes the looks of the Polks better than the AJ pios. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    My wife likes Bose cubes & soundbars too
    Randy/Maine
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    My wife likes Bose cubes & soundbars too

Wanna buy some ? Have some sitting in my crawl space for about 8 years now.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The Polks "look" nicer but the Pioneers just plain image "better"! Polk should get their engineers to rework their entry levels. Put BETTER crossovers in there, and a BETTER tweeter. Like this one I used in a set of JBLs from PartsExpress, only $35 dollars a pair (or less) and it SHAMES what's in the Monitor and TSI series, POLK!!! Makes me wonder what a Polk tweeter "really" costs. Margins don't have to be "everything", boys!

http://www.parts-express.com/vifa-bc25sc06-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter--264-1028

Read the "freaking" reviews. 45! 40 FIVE stars and 5 FOUR stars! Impressive!

Build a low priced speaker around THIS and you'll have something people will rave about. Like A.J.s? No?? Oh, and don't "forget" the "crossovers", we shouldn't have to send "everything" to Trey for a redo, now should we?

Less money on the fancy Ads and Facebook sites and more on R&D and PARTS, thank you! I know you know how to do it, because you did it with the LSiMs!

cnh

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • felipe
    Options
    I agree cnh. Polk should use better parts for their entry levels. Finally convinced my old lady to keep the AJ pios...after buying these speakers and that speakers trying to find a compromise. Thank goodness Iwas able to return those other speakers within the return period.