new forum section needed

Options
Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I think it's time to add two more forums: "Subwoofers" and "Technical/Setup" (for car audio). Not to offend anyone, but I'm really tired of all the subwoofer hookup questions. It's always the same questions. All they have to do is read their manuals or the FAQ that Polk has on their website. Perhaps there should be a link to that FAQ on the opening page of the forum. There's also been a lot of talk about which subwoofer to buy lately. I think it warrants another forum. As for the "Technical/Setup" for car audio, that will keep all of those questions where they're supposed to be rather than someone having to redirect those people there.

Aaron
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Just have to stir the pot a bit eh? Just can't leave well enough alone?

Aaron the instigator.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Hey Aaron, you could always just ignore the threads. Just a thought.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    Options
    SOMEBODY didn't get lucky over the holidays.....

Troy

just hackin' on ya.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    Options
    i should create a word document so i can copy and paste the subwoofer Q&A's everytime someone posts.

maybe what we need, is just one thread 'all about subwoofers' that we can refer subwoofer newbies to...
  • juice21
    edited December 2001
    Options
    and ALL car audio should stay in the car audio section....
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by juice21
    and ALL car audio should stay in the car audio section....

What? No clubpolk members are interested in car audio?

~JB
  • juice21
    edited December 2001
    Options
    used to be, until i got robbed twice this year. :( no more car audio for me!
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2001
    Options

When I was a teenie-bopper, yeah.

If...
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited December 2001
    Options
    ...that sub thread you started on the review of the P.E. kit.:) Is what made me finally buy it, BTW thanks!.
    I understand what you mean. There should be archives like on the old forum I think. They came in handy many a time instead of postng the same question again. Its a shame its gone that was like an encyclepedia of audio.

Car audio-nope! Not for a long time.
    Chris :)
  • Aaron
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Just can't leave well enough alone?
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    you could always just ignore the threads.
    Why do you guys have to dash my hopes and dreams like that! I'm just trying to make the world a better place and save people some time! I think I'm going to cry now.... :(

Aaron
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Hey Aaron,
    I'm pullin 2 ohms out of my sub with a bridge input amp. It pulls 200 amps out of each speaker and the total resistance is 5 volts. Why does my my muffler keep rustin.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Aaron
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by -Justin-
    Justin, think of this like object-oriented programming. We're trying to group like objects (Car Audio and Technical/Setup) within a larger object (Infield).
    Originally posted by juice21
    i should create a word document so i can copy and paste the subwoofer Q&A's everytime someone posts.?
    I guess something along those lines. We just need a master FAQ that is right in front of everyone's face so they can't miss it.

Aaron
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I actually don't think the "Subwoofers" section is a bad idea.

As far as car audio: I'm not interested at all. As you grow up, there comes a point where you realize that almost the worst possible place to try to listen to serious audio (different than background noise) is in your car. (I say almost, because I have a friend who is contemplating spending big bucks for a stereo system on his Harley. :confused: )

Believe it or not, when I drive, I like to hear my car. Cars are for driving, not listening to music, watching video's, playing video games, talking on the phone........oops. :D
  • Aaron
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I'm pullin 2 ohms out of my sub with a bridge input amp. It pulls 200 amps out of each speaker and the total resistance is 5 volts. Why does my my muffler keep rustin.
    madmax
    I think the problem is because you're not using a NiMH battery that is capable of drawing enough inductance from the alternator.

Aaron
  • juice21
    edited December 2001
    Options
    system on a harley? WTF??? i mean, there it is right there, buy a harley. a bike that can't even corner (isn't that what bikes are all about???) performance? i mean all harley offers is, ew look, i'm a bad-****..... yeah right..... sorry, i hate harley's.....

end of rant.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Yeah, yeah.... Most of them are so f'n loud, was my point...Subsitiute any bike you wish, however, I still don't think an expensive stereo system could be justified.
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2001
    Options
    There needs to be a law put in place that makes it is mandatory to add training wheels to all mototcycles.

If...
  • juice21
    edited December 2001
    Options
    no, a system on any bike is ridiculous. harley's are pointless for bikes to begin with though....
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Care to explain your thoughts on the issue?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • juice21
    edited December 2001
    Options
    a bike is chosen over any other form of ground transportation for it's speed, and mostly it's handling capabilities. granted, paired to any car, a harley's acceleration will outperform most cars, but next to any sports bike it will get dusted. secondly, a bike is made to handle, you know, laying it over til your scrapping your knee (well hopefully your suit) on the pavement. you take a corner to tight on a harley and you scrape the effin foot stand. IMO, a harley just doesn't live up the qualities that bikes are aquired for. of course, for those who want to just cruise on bikes, that may be their choice, but again bikes, (any), aren't comfortable after long periods of time, so then a car would be optimal, for comfort on long trips. you have a vehicle(bike) which can go fast, accelerate hard and handle like hell, then you take that and down-grade it to a harley that it just effin loud... i just don't get it!!! i mean in cars some give up speed/handling for luxury/cargo capabilities, but in bikes there is no luxury or cargo capabilities, so you give up the good stuff for what???

again, just my .02, no offense to any harley riders out there...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Do you have a motorcycle license?

They way I see it, sure, any crotch rocket will dust MOST stock Harleys...but thats not why a person buys a Harley.

Think about a 1962 Vette, why in the hell would ANYONE want to pay the same as a new Vette, for an old, slow, bad handling 2 seater? But yet some do, and love it.

How many turns will one REALLY take laying the bike down that low, in street conditions? Cmon man, you know you want a old **** helmet with the spike on top and some Ape-hanger handlebars....

Its a retro feel, its chrome, its raw horsepower, its vibrations, its a sense of freedom to some.

I can see it both ways, but to say either is useless..nah. And Evil Kenevil, HE was cool on his Harley.....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • juice21
    edited December 2001
    Options
    yes, i do have my cycle license, and no, the ****-helmet didn't look good on me...:)

i understand that some people do enjoy what harley has to offer, and that is why there is a market for it. i guess i just don't get it. i totally understand when you're talking about a classic car, and there are some bikes that would probably be worth owning as collector's item's that don't perform well against today's bikes. but for sheer enjoyment (to me anyway), it's like going on the lot and looking at what's in production today and choosing a ford focus over an M3. i mean, maybe that's a little extreme, cause anybody who rides a bike is cool to begin with (even the harley guys), but for me, it's got to be a sports bike... i mean, to each their own. i know harley drivers and i always give them a hard time... it's just fun ragging on them...

russman, you drive a harley?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2001
    Options
    No bikes at all at the present time. Played with a old CR250 for about 5 years when I was younger, and rode an 88 v65 for about 2 years on and off.

I don't live in a big-city, but I am just North of Dallas, and people drive like idiots. Very very scary to be on two-wheels around here. I got freaked after more than a couple close calls, and have left it alone since.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • juice21
    edited December 2001
    Options
    i hear you, i don't currently have a bike now... last one i rode was a GSX-R. ahh, so sweet!!! i miss it, but i don't have the $$$ to drop on a $10,000 toy right now... rode a hurricane 1000 and katana before the GSX-R
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Its a retro feel, its chrome, its raw horsepower, its vibrations, its a sense of freedom to some

it's......hey check me out, I have a Harley, look at me because I need the attention.

If...
  • rnoseworthy
    rnoseworthy Posts: 41
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by Aaron

I think the problem is because you're not using a NiMH battery that is capable of drawing enough inductance from the alternator.

Aaron

More beer in the Flux capacitor should fix it.
  • LordSpeakaMinch
    LordSpeakaMinch Posts: 21
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Hey Aaron,
    madmax

Aaron

Max, don't be fooled. The only way to fix this is with a 1 megaohm resistor soldered between the muffler and the chassis. The resistor will keep the metal ions coating the surface of the muffler from being absorbed by the air and thereby being replaced by rust ions.

Hey, why all this angst against Harley's? I'm saving up for one now so that [young] women will still think I'm cool when I'm going through my mid life crisis.:p
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2001
    Options
    If you really want to impress someone... well...

One guy at my work road in on a Harley. Several of us asked how he liked it and thought it looked and sounded cool. He eventually sold it because he said he didn't have time to keep it polished.

Another guy was recently hired who rode in on a BMW bike. Many employees were very envious of him and although they didn't say much he has become very popular at lunch time when it comes to discussions of bikes. Cleaning it is not necessary to keep up the discussions. Everyone assumes he is very high class person because of his ride. It really seems different than the "Harley" guy.

The Harley was great on the first day but I think the BMW continues to impress.

BTW, I am not a bike person. Just a bystander who doesn't care!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I was formulating a reply on how the car enthusiasts should atleast have their own Flea Market.

But now I think Motorcycle Forum. Easier to not read.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • JerryR1vers
    JerryR1vers Posts: 17
    edited January 2002
    Options
    "I don't live in a big-city, but I am just North of Dallas, and people drive like idiots. "

I was in Dallas last Oct and got passed on LBJ, going 85 mph, by 6 bike riders and one was doing a wheelie while passing me!

That same weekend I was also passed going through a city intersection by someone doing a wheelie!

Death wish id my opinion.