Replacement for BIC F12???

felipe
felipe Posts: 423
Hey all. I'm starting to get the "upgrade" bug as some call it. I got a 500 budget. I heard y'all talk about HSU and SVS sub's. Did some looking around, and came across the SVS pb1000, sb 1000, and a couple from HSU. How much better are these brands than BIC?? Opinions?? Thoughts?? Suggestions??
My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

Post edited by felipe on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2014
    SVS and HSU are in a different class. But you might have to spend just a little more to hear it. Not sure what their $500 dollar entries sound like?

That said. I run a B.A. sub that retailed for about $500 or less. Bought it on close out for less than 200 shipped. It's a lot like the PSW505 and it does the job. I've had it for a few years now and really can't justify the upgrade even though I know an SVS would blow it out of the room, my wife already "hates" the Boston for what it can do to her second floor office. Imagine what a nice SVS would do! Forget about it!

Enjoy!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited June 2014
    I owned another sub similar to the PSW505 and BIC and I agree with CNH that it was a good sub and really does get you a lot of bass for the buck. Since then I owned an HSU VTF-3r and now an SVS ISD-10 (since it is front firing and can fit in my cabinet) and yes they are a considerable improvement. I got both of them on ebay, and I will say that both suffered cosmetic damage in route, but I received a partial refund and you really cannot see the damage. So I would suggest local if that is a problem to you. I think that both of the subs you mentioned will be a noticeable upgrade, but if you can get something local used like an SVS NSD-12.

Good luck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • felipe
    edited June 2014
    From the reviews that I read about the SVS sub's, their 500 "budget" sub's are excellent. They said that the bass quality is a/league or two above other budget sub's..outclassing Polk,klipsch..even BIC. Actually, SVS has the pb 1000 on their outlet store for 475 with free shipping...and a 45 day return policy:-)...not bad.

On one of the online forums someone has the same HT speaker setup as I do, but has a pb1000 as their sub...they claim its a perfect match..but then that is all relative..lol
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited June 2014
    Outlaw has some nice offerings at your price point.
  • felipe
    edited June 2014
    Outlaw?? I'm not familiar with this company. Are they in the same league as SVS and HSU??

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited June 2014
    No...but the pricing reflects that. Not saying that Outlaw is bad, because they aren't.
    But they aren't as good as HSU or SVS.

The deals are out there...you just have to be patient. I got my SVS cylinder for under $400 shipped from right here at this forum.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • felipe
    edited June 2014
    I ordered the pb1000 from the SVS outlet store. So..we'll see. With free return shipping,full refund, and 45 day trial run..can't really go wrong if it isn't to my liking.

Actually, if you use the "merlin" section of the SVS site, which chooses the best sub for your particular brand and model number speakers your using, it picked the pb1000 as a match for my bs22s..how bout that lol.

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited June 2014
    I'm betting you won't be returning it. Congrats!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • felipe
    edited June 2014
    Your probably right lol...but I'll see once I have it and hook it up ;-) Thanks :-)

• ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited June 2014
    felipe wrote: »
    I ordered the pb1000 from the SVS outlet store. So..we'll see. With free return shipping,full refund, and 45 day trial run..can't really go wrong if it isn't to my liking.

Actually, if you use the "merlin" section of the SVS site, which chooses the best sub for your particular brand and model number speakers your using, it picked the pb1000 as a match for my bs22s..how bout that lol.

FWIW, the PB1000 was one of the subs I was looking at when I decided my Bic F12 was not a match for my newly acquired Martin Logans. I ultimately went with an XS15 from Power Sound Audio although my original budget was also $500. Let us know how the SVS sounds.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • felipe
    edited June 2014
    The SVS pb1000 arrived early this afternoon. I unboxed it,inspected it..just to make sure it wasn't damaged. I hooked it up, but didn't rerun audyssey.. Just wanted to see if it works. Let me tell you, I can definitely see why SVS is highly recommended... This IMO kicks my BIC f12 in the ****..def in a different class all together. The bass is so articulate, detailed..and POWERFUL!..especially for a 10inch driver. I can distinguish individual bass sounds and notes...and it goes deeeeep! In hearing lows I didn't hear before. I did not know what I was missing in a subwoofer until now. IMO it was worth the 475.

Another note, even tho I got this from the outlet, it was in perfect condition. The only thing is the driver, I think, might be a newer version. I only say that because according to the photos online, the original driver didn't have the SVS logo printed on the dust cap..whereas the one on mine has the logo. Hmmmmm???

• ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited June 2014
    I did not know what I was missing in a subwoofer until now.

This. It's what the journey's all about.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited June 2014
    The SVS pb1000 arrived early this afternoon. I unboxed it,inspected it..just to make sure it wasn't damaged. I hooked it up, but didn't rerun audyssey.. Just wanted to see if it works. Let me tell you, I can definitely see why SVS is highly recommended... This IMO kicks my BIC f12 in the ****..def in a different class all together. The bass is so articulate, detailed..and POWERFUL!..especially for a 10inch driver. I can distinguish individual bass sounds and notes...and it goes deeeeep! In hearing lows I didn't hear before. I did not know what I was missing in a subwoofer until now. IMO it was worth the 475.

Another note, even tho I got this from the outlet, it was in perfect condition. The only thing is the driver, I think, might be a newer version. I only say that because according to the photos online, the original driver didn't have the SVS logo printed on the dust cap..whereas the one on mine has the logo. Hmmmmm???

An oft-told tale...

It's almost unfair for them to offer free returns and a 45 day trial. As I discovered many years before, the only thing harder than justifying a good subwoofer purchase is justifying returning one! Glad you like yours.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • felipe
    edited June 2014
    This is a grrrrreat sub:-) watching movies is so much better now. Its also less fatiguing too...for some reason...I'm thinking its the bass..virtually no boominess.. Just raw unaltered structured bass...soooo nice. Sorry, this is my first true audiophile grade component I've owned lol.

On a side note tho, when its powered on, the driver emits a low level " white noise" type of noise..hard to describe. I can only hear it when I put my ear within inches of the driver. Any SVS sub owners on here have that same thing with theirs??