sony str dh130 vs onkyo tx 8020

Options
felipe
felipe Posts: 423
edited June 2014 in Electronics
Hi guys:-) would the onkyo mentioned be a better choice than the Sony? Since I included a sub (psw110) in my 2ch setup, I'm looking for a receiver to accommodate one ( w/o using the second set of speaker terminals) and not be an AVR. That's were this onkyo came into play. Opinions??
My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

Post edited by felipe on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Onkyo over Sony any day.

You might also want to consider the older Harman Kardons 3490 series, or Marantz SR 4023 (a bit pricier but they have what you need and sound pretty good as well).

Look at the Yamaha RS 500 as well, those are also pretty nice.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • felipe
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Hey CNH:-) thanks for your input. I'm not too familiar with H/K gear, but I found a H/K 3380 on CL for 150 lightly used. Would that be considered the older 3490 series, or is it another series all together?? The pics of it seem like its in excellent condition. Worth it??
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• felipe
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Oh I see lol. Like I said, not familiar with H/K gear. Is that 3380 worth the 150? I researched H/K receivers online, and some say that they get really hot when in operation, and typically use more watts when powered off ( few watts compared to less than a watt like most other receivers). I'm powering pio bs22s, so I don't need gobbs of power. The onkyo seems good for the price (200). But, if the 3380 is better, I'll rather get that one..its cheaper to lol.

• cnh
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is get any of the previous series Harman Kardons, NOT the newest one which seems underpowered to me.

The 3380 is the previous 80 watt x two channel receiver. If it has sub outs (which I think it does) that would be fine.

Is it worth $150 used? Hmmm. Not sure. I probably wouldn't pay more than $100 for that. The 3390 is the newer model and that and the 3490 have both been discontinued. But you may be able to find some yet?

cnh

• felipe
    edited June 2014
    Options
    The 3380 does have sub outs..a mono L and R sub out. I was looking online about this model, and its big compared to my denon 1613 lol. I'll see if the seller will take 100 for it. Thanks again for the input CNH.

• felipe
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Anyone have experience with Yamaha receivers? I saw a Yamaha stereo receiver (Rx 496) on CL for 75. How do yammy gear compare to onkyo or H/K??

• cnh
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Some of the newer Yammies are fine, very clean, somewhat neutral but can be a little brighter with some speakers.

They actually match up nicely with the old LSi-7s because of those qualities. Sort of wake that speaker up!

cnh

• felipe
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I don't think the Yammy in question is a newer model, but its specs arent too bad...low THD, good damping factor,decent wattage for my bs22s. I like the variable loudness control feature ;-)

• ratster
    ratster Posts: 324
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If you can't find a HK3490 (highly recommended by many on this forum) check accesories4less for the Onkyo. They have them all the time with good prices.
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    CA music streamer
    marantz 6005
    Clear Day dbl.shotgun
    Morrow Xlr
    1.7 Maggies

Bedroom
    adcom Gfp750
    Adcom 555
    Rotel 1072
    CA tuner
    LsiM703
    Clear day dbl shotgun
  • cnh
    edited June 2014
    Options
    felipe wrote: »
    I don't think the Yammy in question is a newer model, but its specs arent too bad...low THD, good damping factor,decent wattage for my bs22s. I like the variable loudness control feature ;-)

It's not that old either. If I'm not mistaken the 497 models were the ones just before the current R-S500s? Power-wise they're almost identical!

BTW. Those 500s are now being "discounted"! Not sure what the Yamaha would sound like with the A. Jones speakers, the 22s are a little more forward than the 21s were, which is better for detail and imaging though.

cnh

• felipe
    edited June 2014
    Options
    You're correct CNH, the 496 models are the ones before the r500. Both are identical..wattage, features..with the exception of a sub out and iPod connectivity on the 500. The 500s are discounted..250 on accessories4less. However, since the two are similar, the 496 for 75 sounds like the better deal. Quality wise I guess its a toss up between yammys and onkyo?

As of right now, I cannot find a H/K 3490...:-( I'll check that site for the onkyo...tanks ratster;-)

• felipe
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Well..I took a chance and looked at that yammy on CL. It was local, so it wasn't a big hassle. It was in mint condition..with the manual and remote included. They had it hooked up to test it. Everything worked perfectly..I was sold.

Then, I brought it home, hooked up my bs22s....Wooow!! Its like my pios woke up!! I thought they sounded good before, they sound excellent! To experiment, I tried my fs52s..same result:-). I would say that these somewhat older yammies are a great match for the AJ pios.

Needless to say, I left my fs52s hooked to the yammy and rehooked the bs22s to my denon avr. No need for a sub in my 2ch setup anymore ;-) I would say for music, a Yamaha stereo receiver is the choice..for us budget people lol.