The Tonight Show

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
edited June 2014 in The Clubhouse
I don't really like the new guy all that much, he just doesn't feel right for the Tonight Show to me. He's funny at times and is a good overall entertainer, but I don't think he's funny enough to carry the show long term. I've been watching off and on and have seen this dancing panda thing too many times, usually something like that is a red flag to me. If you have to resort to a stupid dancing panda bear to get laughs I think it indicates a lack of original funny content.

I also don't like the stupid games he has his guests play, and don't like his sidekick guy either.

The show has its moments, but overall I'm just not a fan. I wasn't the biggest Leno fan, but liked his version of the show much better than the current one.
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited June 2014
    Are you out of the preferred viewing demographic group of 18-49? Because viewers of this particular age group has increased 48% since the change from Leno to Fallon. And that's what advertisers want.

Personally, I can't stomach Fallon's so-called "interviews". And people complained about Leno? I actually enjoyed the rest of the changes to the show.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited June 2014
    I like Fallon and the new show. What I don't like is how he interrupts the guests or tries to finish their sentences sometimes.

It's nice to see them get up out of their elements and play the weird games. You get to see a different side of these famous people that isn't "completely" staged.

But like I said...I do like to hear some of the interviews and I feel like there isn't good flow, because Jimmy won't let them talk.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2014
    Fallon is a talented guy, no doubt and the show is bringing in the "younger" demographic so the format has to change. I'm not a fan of the show myself, but I do appreciate what Fallon can do as a comedian and mimic.

His "weakest" skill is the interviewing. Jay was not the greatest there either, but he was leaps and bounds ahead of Fallon, and at least Jay could go "serious" occasionally when some issue was important.

Only time will tell.

What I'm most depressed about is the departure of Craig Ferguson on CBS. Who will replace him? Good luck!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,942
    edited June 2014
    Sorry gents, Fallon simply isn't funny. No wonder the younger generations like him, they set their bar fairly low as it is with everything else. Conan was the closest you'll get to a late night talk show host. Heck, I can't even think of a network show I watch anymore.

SNL....hasn't been funny in a long time, how is that show still on the air ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited June 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    Conan was the closest you'll get to a late night talk show host.

Which is why I still watch Conan on TBS (and flip back-and-forth between Conan and Jon Steward/Stephen Colbert)
  • hochpt21
    edited June 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    Sorry gents, Fallon simply isn't funny. No wonder the younger generations like him, they set their bar fairly low as it is with everything else. Conan was the closest you'll get to a late night talk show host. Heck, I can't even think of a network show I watch anymore.

SNL....hasn't been funny in a long time, how is that show still on the air ?

Tony, you know I respect the heck out of ya, but I disagree.

Fallon may not be funny to you, but that doesn't mean he isn't funny. No he doesn't fit the same mold that used to dominate late-night, but that mold seems to be changing.

And that's a pretty broad statement about younger generations. I think a lot of that is just us getting older and crabby. I hear about things kids are doing now and I can't hardly believe it....then I think back a few years and can't believe the things I myself did. I didn't care as much then...I care more now.

And I agree with you about SNL...I keep waiting for that to fold.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,942
    edited June 2014
    LOL...funny like audio is subjective. No, you aren't going to find another Johnny Carson, but the characteristics that made Johnny, only Conan carries some of that of all the late night talk show hosts.

I like funny, I think I know funny pretty well. I think I know class, delivery, set up of funny. Fallon has zip. I tried watching him about 5 times, couldn't get through half the show before I had to switch him off.

Maybe Fallon is funny to some, if so...like I said, you set that bar fairly low then. The tonight show used to be reserved for some of the best to host it, obviously not anymore. If your going after the younger demographics, is Fallon going to be handing out Trojans, playing video games on his show ?

Whatever...if you guys like the dude then watch him, no skin off my nose. Won't get any of my time or viewing ratings. People watch Honey Boo-boo too and Housewives of every fricking city.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2014
    SNL needs to get rid of Lorn Michaels, the dude will be 70 this year. I'm no spring chicken myself. But TIMES and TASTES do change and SNL needs to get FRESH!

I don't view the younger generation as all one block. Since I've seen a few younger generations in my time as an educator I can see the "shifts' every 5-10 years or so. The current generation is not bad in my book, they're better than they have been in a while.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • hochpt21
    edited June 2014
    Class, delivery, articulation and set up...not his areas. He almost seems a little A-D-D at times.

Creativity, energy and personality...those are his areas.

I'm not a Fallon fanboy, but I do enjoy the show. I also enjoy"ed" Letterman, Leno and Conan for their styles.

And of course we all appreciate different things...that's what makes this fun.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2014
    Even though I don't like him that much, it's not really fair to say someone has a lower bar or standard for humor just because you don't think their guy is funny, that's insulting actually and assumes you are the ultimate authority on 'funny'. I actually agree with your assessment of comedy in general, but I'll stop short of saying someone has a lower standard just because they don't like what I like.

I doubt that's how you intended it but you used that phrase twice so maybe I'm wrong.
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited June 2014
    Do not like.

The list goes. Johnny, Jay, Letterman, and then all the rest.

But Steve Allen was actually the best. David Frost was pretty good too.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited June 2014
    I like to relax after my 10pm supper with 1 hour of TV.
    He has some pretty darn good guests on.
    I am tired of Jimmy Kimmel which is one the other channel.
    No he is not extremely funny but I get a chuckle out of some of the silly antics and games
    after being around a bunch of grumpy old people at work all day.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • HASWELL
    HASWELL Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    Watching old episodes of The Tonight Show on YouTube is better than both Fallon and Kimmel combined IMHO.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited June 2014
    I enjoy the Roots!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,315
    edited June 2014
    Fallon has a mighty big chin to fill... give him some time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2014
    The best stuff on Kimmel is all the Matt Daman stuff...
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited June 2014
    After Johnny, everybody else is a disappointment to me! Class, wit, sarcasm, honesty, compassion, delivering a punchline, all second to none with Johnny!
    I still watch his dvd's from time to time, and giggle my **** off! :wink:
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited June 2014
    I've never been a big Fallon fan but do watch the show occasionally and enjoy it. I also constantly see links in social media to different funny skits on his show (lip sync battle with Emma Stone was awesome) which brings way more attention than Leno did. Plus The Roots are awesome.
  • mlong
    mlong Posts: 134
    edited June 2014
    Well, Fallon has one less rival to compete against as Arsenio's show was cancelled (suspiciously a few months after Jay Leno walked onto his show to announce that it had been renewed for a second season).
    [HOME THEATRE]
    Samsung LED HDTV - Pioneer VSX-1014TX (AVR) - Parasound HCA-1200 II - Philips DVP642 (DVD)
    Polk Monitor 10B (Side Surround) - Bang & Olufsen P45 (Rear Surround) - Polk CSi30 (Center Channel)
    SVS PB12-ISD/2 (Sub)
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited June 2014
    Yea he's not Johnny Carson but then will anyone ever be? He's doing okay except his Panda is tired already.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • JerryR1verz
    JerryR1verz Posts: 76
    edited June 2014
    Fallon is pretty good at the skits and a tradition that Johnny started...was very good at. I understand the need for fresh and targeting the demographic for sure. Gone are the days of the "supper clubs", tuxedos... That "kind" of host. Johnny, Dean, Frank, Sammy, all had the iconic status and class for their era.
    Polk Monitor 10
    Polk Monitor 7
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited June 2014
    bobsauto49 wrote: »
    After Johnny, everybody else is a disappointment to me! Class, wit, sarcasm, honesty, compassion, delivering a punchline, all second to none with Johnny!
    I still watch his dvd's from time to time, and giggle my **** off! :wink:

I agree with most of this sentiment. IMHO, Jimmy Fallon is leaps and bounds closer to the lofty bar set by Johnny Carson than any of the evening hosts since. Of course, we see Carson's whole career as we look back, whereas Fallon is just getting started. A little patience is necessary.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2014
    I think he's hilarious... But I'm a kid with no sense of humor.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited June 2014
    As with everything, this is purely subjective. What you find funny may not be to someone else, and vice versa. I will say that Fallon has his quirks, but is certainly a lot more talented than most. His impressions are fantastic, he is a skilled writer (not just someone who reads someone else's jokes), and is a hit in the changing times.

Watch his music special - he nails it. Watch his Breaking Bad parody, "Joking Bad", and if you're familiar with Breaking Bad, I challenge you not to laugh. Yeah, he talks fast, sometimes interrupts, is hyperactive, etc., but everyone has their quirks. Leno talks with a lisp and whines a lot. But both are funny in their own (different) ways. To say the bar has been reduced is entirely unfair.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,788
    edited June 2014
    GAWD, you people are old!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited June 2014
    I think the new show is GREAT. I'm 44 and like the new fresh approach to breath life into that TERRRIBLE show when Leno was on. BLECH...Unless you're over 70, I don't see how you could stomach his safe, boring humor. LOL Jay Leno..yuck

Different strokes, I guess.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,535
    edited June 2014
    Johnny Carson is where it all started, and ended for me. Love that man.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Ever notice when he gets a guest on like Eastwood or De Niro he won't shut up enough to let them talk. He was pretty good on SNL but, not the Tonight Show.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Conan is bearable but no one is Johnny Carson.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • hochpt21
    charley95 wrote: »
    Ever notice when he gets a guest on like Eastwood or De Niro he won't shut up enough to let them talk. He was pretty good on SNL but, not the Tonight Show.

I still stand by my sentiments from a year and a half ago. I like Fallon and his show, but his downfall is not being able to stop talking enough to let the guest interview really develop. It's like he is constantly interrupting/rushing them.