Wood Finish On SDA's

Options
stogie
stogie Posts: 230
edited May 2014 in Vintage Speakers
How did Polk finish the wood portion (be it solid wood or wood veneer) of the sda cabinets? Is it oil or some type of clearcoat?
Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
Tuner: Sansui TU-717
TT: Technics SL-MA1
Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
Post edited by stogie on

Comments

• jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I think the SDA had two finishes... Either a vinyl faux wood finish or an oiled walnut finish...
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Jesse? plz tell . . . ty

G
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I also was hoping F1 would chime in. From the posts I have searched, he knows his wood. I was just wondering if Polk was consistent in the how they finished the walnut/oak portion of their cabinets. In particular, I'm refurbishing a pair of SDA SRS's. I have replaced the cloth but the wood looks a little "tired". The end caps are solid walnut and the side strips are walnut veneer. I didn't want to actually refinish the wood, just try to make it look a little better. From what I've read, if the wood is oiled it is best to use something like Watco Oil and if it has a clearcoat finish, maybe a polish like Guardsman.
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited May 2014
    Options
    My 2.3tls are walnut that is just stained and oiled as the were new.
    I refreshed my 1C to look the same, hand sanded with 400 grit walnut stained then tung oil using a fine steel wool then a polished with
    an ole cotton terry towel
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I've seen SDA's that have an oil finish and others with lacquer.
    In particular, I'm refurbishing a pair of SDA SRS's.

Those would have been oiled.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I believe my '87 2BS were light white oak w/Laccquer finish that over time dries out and discolors. My were also helped along w/ the pretty plants with to much water stain syndrome. After bleaching and sanding I stained mine medium walnut w/like 4/5 coats of clear poly they were so dry it just soaked it up like a sponge. This was the 1st coat and as and you can see no sheen. Never a fan for light oak for speaker furniture but would always take it over a vinly rap. Granted pix a bit out of focus.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I stained mine medium walnut w/like 4/5 coats of clear poly they were so dry it just soaked it up like a sponge.

Just to be clear I'm not picking on you, Lew.

One wants the wood used to make any type of furniture to be DRY. The moisture content should be 6% to 8% maximum. You NEVER want to add moisture to wood, period.

Now, the reason the first coat seemed to soak in so much is because oak is an open pore wood. It wouldn't matter what finish you applied, it would not have any build to it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk