new amp.....

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Last night I hooked up my "new" Carver m0.5t to the center channel. I also splurged and ran all new cables for a neater appearance with the new rack.

Man, all I got to say is OH, BABY!! I can't believe the difference in the center channel. There is so much more detail than before, I watched a couple of movies and heard things that previously never heard, footsteps, breathing...things that were there before but not in great definition. I could be talking completely out of my arse but man I am impressed.

Troy
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    glad to hear your happy...

man, am i jealous....:(

must get seperates.....
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2001
    Sorry bud, I know I should pay better attention, with the new addition(s), mind giving us a run-down on your HT rig setup?

Power is awesome, and the Mrs actually bought you an amp? That is greatness.

We got our 'xmas bonus' check from mom in law, Brandy wants a new bed, I want new towers in the family room. Basically, what I am trying to say is, I guess I will have a new bed soon.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    The rig...
    Speakers
    CS400i, RT7's (you knew that), R10's, Paradigm PDR-10

Power
    Denon 1800, Carver m1.5t (fronts), Carver m0.5t (center)

Toshiba 2705 5 disc DVD player

Phillips/Magnavox 55" RPTV

The Denon only has preouts for L,R,C and sub. I will get an amp for the rears in anticipation of an A/V preamp.

See, I knew I was getting a new rack (the other one was embarrasing) so she wanted to suprise me without having to buy new speakers, so she found the Carver on the internet at Q-Audio in Boston. VERY COOL and cheaper than speakers. Wendi is pretty adamant about no new speakers for a while.

I feel your pain brotha, last year her Mom hooked us up with some cash and I never saw a dime of mine. I got nice new furniture though.

BTW, what you running these days, Russ?
    Troy
  • juice21
    edited December 2001
    man, i wish my woman would buy me an amp...:D

she enjoys it, but won't buy the stuff for me....
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2001
    BTW, what you running these days, Russ?
    Troy
    Guns, drugs, and people across the border. Why else would you want to live in Texas? :p

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Russ is more like Yul Brenner in the Magnificent 7, with hair.....

I am sort of conflicted about the new amp....Wendi is at heart both a miser and very pragmatic. See, she knows that I want new speakers and that they are fairly expensive. SO, she goes ahead and buys me the amp and it is a fraction of what new speakers would be. That way she can say that she did buy me stereo equipment and that I have already got enough new stuff so the speakers will have to wait. Appeasment is all it is. I know what she is up to. But I am thankful for the amp. Point is, she didn't buy the amp out of genuine generosity and charity.

Troy
  • juice21
    edited December 2001
    gotcha man. a woman with an agenda... next big purchase will be furniture, or something along those lines...:D
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    EVERY woman has an agenda. They may conceal it well but you know it's in the program somewhere.

Actually, In a year, I have done quite well. A year ago, the only thing I had in the list above was the TV. So, I can't really ****. But, I still have less than (excluding TV) 1400 of my own money invested in the whole rig.

Wendi has also done pretty well, too. She got the house she wanted and has bought ALL the furniture that she wanted plus had the deck put on so she has done all right herself.

Troy
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2001
    Oink 747 in the ht rig with B&W 303/LCR3 up front, junk Ar Edge pullin up the rear till I make up my mind. Modified DCM Sub 1 with a Blueprint driver. Panny A310 dvd.

Thats connected to the whole house system, 120 wpc Fisher integrated/HK 5 disc/Nak cassette/Denon turntable. Celestion F2's (these are what I am trying to replace) in the family room, R10's in the master bedroom, M2's outside.

My audio room is full of misc, but will prob settle on some LSi, Jm Lab, or MMG's on a small Nad amp from the other 'Russ'.

I don't know, I kinda want my 800's back for the family room, but the guy thats using them is totally in love, and I aint one to break anybody's heart.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Man, I would really like to have one of those but right now, I don't even posses any real estate in a closet....One of the bedrooms will be sooner or later, probably later though.....

Troy
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2001
    Hows the PDR-10 treatin ya? (musically) I've had my eye on it, if I end up doing bookshelf speaks in the family room.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Honestly, I don't think for music that you can beat it (that's why I bought it). I think it is much better than the Velo's, Polk's or anything else out there that I have heard.

Pretty basic as far as connections go, the cabinet is pretty unremarkable but solid. The grille doesn't come off......performance wise though, I really, really like it.

Troy