SRS Estate Sale Find

stogie
stogie Posts: 230
edited May 2014 in Vintage Speakers
Picked up 3 sets of speakers this weekend. One set of SDA-SRS ($500) and 2 sets of Monitor 5jr ($100 for both sets). I think it was a pretty good deal. Pics below. I have questions on both - especially the SRS's - and will posts seperate posts for each.
Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
Tuner: Sansui TU-717
TT: Technics SL-MA1
Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
Post edited by stogie on

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    edited May 2014
    You did good!
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited May 2014
    Very good.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • OldSchoolPolk
    OldSchoolPolk Posts: 159
    edited May 2014
    Well done Sir, well done...
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited May 2014
    They were a steal -- assuming they work! :~)

Congratulations and now get ready to make all the modifications to bring them into the 21st century!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• stogie
    edited May 2014
    I am really excited about going to work on these. Right now I'm finishing the first stage of my CRS+ speakers and dreadnought. Don't have enough room for two projects at once. Will post pics of that project soon. Then on to the big boys. All the knowledgeable people here have really given me inspiration to get back into the hobby. Thanks
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
  • amb426amb1
    amb426amb1 Posts: 148
    edited May 2014
    What a deal on some great SDA's. I recently purchased some 2.3 tl's and started with the replacement tweeters from polk. That made a big improvement in SQ. Next I changed out the large SDA inductor. I have seneral more upgrades planned in the near future but have been enjoying the speakers for now. As you probably already know spending time on this forum will gain you insight into the modifications that will really unlock potential from those Big boys.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    edited May 2014
    Awe those are beautiful. You hit the jackpot :smile: ear -2- ear ENJOY
    Randy/Maine
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited May 2014
    Wow!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,891
    edited May 2014
    Steal of the day!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited May 2014
    Congrats! All well and good, but where are the
    photo's of the 5jrs? :cheesygrin:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited May 2014
    oops, found it...
  • stogie
    edited May 2014
    After doing some research here I've found that to use the SRS speakers with my Adcom 5802, the negative terminals need to be strapped/jumped. This is something I've never done and need some pointers. I've done a search and find that many people here have done this but there are no details. Is 12 gauge speaker wire heavy enough? How should the jumpers be terminated? Do the terminals need to modified to accept the jumper? (the terminals are the type that have the screw-on plastic nut and accept a banana plug or bare wire through a hole in the post.) Thanks
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited May 2014
    stogie wrote: »
    After doing some research here I've found that to use the SRS speakers with my Adcom 5802, the negative terminals need to be strapped/jumped. This is something I've never done and need some pointers. I've done a search and find that many people here have done this but there are no details. Is 12 gauge speaker wire heavy enough? How should the jumpers be terminated? Do the terminals need to modified to accept the jumper? (the terminals are the type that have the screw-on plastic nut and accept a banana plug or bare wire through a hole in the post.) Thanks
    My Aragon 8008BB amplifier has the negative terminals jumpered with < one foot of 12-gauge wire. I kind of remember crimping some pin or banana terminals on the wire to make it easy to tighten the terminals onto them.

Another possibility would be to jumper the negative terminals at the speakers instead of at the amplifier. This would require much more length of wire, but eliminates the double-run of wire back to the amplifier.

Either way--at the amp or at the speakers--will work for those amps that are NOT BRIDGED, so they can be made common-ground by jumpering the terminals.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2014
    Want your money back:redface:
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE