Various Network Routers

Options
billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,185
This may be a long shot here, but I have been hoarding several network wifi and wired routers over the last couple years. Now its time to let some of them go since I am not using them.

I have two business class wired routers: Cisco/Linksys VPN Firewall Gigabit wired router RVS4000. A 4-port wired router with a L2 gigabit switch. This is very stable with the latest Cisco firmware. I used one for about a month without having to reboot. I have one of the V2 versions and one of the V1 versions of this router.

The V2 was new in box, I used it for a month before I upgraded to a Ubiquiti router. It is updated with the latest firmware. Will be set to defaults. Original box/power supply/accessories. $40 shipped.

The V1 was bought as 'new open box' at the same time as the V2 above. I tested it, upgraded to latest firmware and boxed it up as a backup. Original box/power supply, but missing the vertical stand adapters. $30 shipped.

I also have a pair of Netgear WNR3500L routers that were bought about 2 years ago as refurbished units. This model is advertised as an open source supported router. They have a very stable Netgear firmware or several varieties of DD-WRT and/or Tomato firmware that are fully functional. I have been using them flawlessly with a version of Tomato USB. These have 4-gigabit LAN ports and a gigabit WAN port and are single radio 2.4GHz N-class routers. They perform really well with Tomato USB. I have used them as both wireless bridge adapters, access points, and a full routers. Comes with base plate and power supply in brown refurb box. Will be reset to defaults. $25 shipped each for these. I can revert them back to Netgear firmware if you prefer, or leave the Tomato USB firmware.

Note: These are the original 3500L, not the V2.

See here for more info on the open source aspect of this router:
http://www.myopenrouter.com/category/70/WNR3500L-v2-Open-Source-Router

I will add photos later tonight if anyone is interested.
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I could use the RVS4000 V2 please.
  • billbillw
    edited April 2014
    Options
    The RVS4000 V2 is sold. Thanks Bob.
  • billbillw
    edited April 2014
    Options
    A bump for the RVS4000 V1, and the Netgear WNR3500L. I just tested all of them again in the last week while I was making some changes. All are solid performers.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the quick ship Bill.
  • billbillw
    edited April 2014
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick ship Bill.
    No problem. Hope the router met your expectations.
  • TurboGTU
    TurboGTU Posts: 187
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Possibly interested in one of the netgears. You said they are running Tomato? How different is that from DD-WRT (I have this on an old router).

Also, are these the 100NAS (usb storage I think) or the 100NAR?
  • billbillw
    edited April 2014
    Options
    TurboGTU wrote: »
    Possibly interested in one of the netgears. You said they are running Tomato? How different is that from DD-WRT (I have this on an old router).

Also, are these the 100NAS (usb storage I think) or the 100NAR?

TurboGTU,
    There are really only two versions of the WNR3500L...the original and V2. The NAS/NAR is not relevant as far as I know. I'm pretty sure those were just retail codes. Sometimes certain retailers (like BestBuy or Walmart) add a few unique letters/numbers to avoid price match with online. Best Buy does this a lot.

http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/36839/NETGEAR-WNR3500-Comparison-Chart-How-To-Identify-Which-Model-Router-You-Have/

Tomato is similar to DD-WRT, but the interface looks different. It is very easy to learn your way around. I have found Tomato to be more stable and faster performing compared to DD-WRT, at least on these routers. DD-WRT may have a few features that Tomato doesn't but I doubt you'll find it lacking. Either way, if you want DD-WRT, just download and flash whatever build you like. There are links and discussion at Myopenrouter.com
  • billbillw
    edited April 2014
    Options
    OK, One of the Netgear WNR3500L is sold.
    Thanks Adam.

Still have one RVS4000 (v1) and one WNR3500L (v1)
  • TurboGTU
    TurboGTU Posts: 187
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Got the router today. Plugged in and did some configuration on it (Set up passwords and wireless, dhcp reservations, port forwarding, etc). Seems to work good, will hopefully get it hooked up to the network tomorrow and do some speed tests copying to the server. I guess I'll have to upgrade my switch to gigabit soon ;) Thanks!!
  • billbillw
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Glad to hear it.
    Folks, I still have one of the Netgear WNR3500L and the one RVS4000v1
  • billbillw
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The other RVS4000 is sold now.

That just leaves one WNR3500L for sale. I also discovered that I don't have any more of the original brown Netgear boxes. The last one would ship in a plain brown box, but would be packed well in my usual fashion.