RTiA7 and CSiA6 Crossover Upgrades - A Slightly Different Approach

F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,620
edited January 2015 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I decided to finally upgrade the crossovers in my HT speakers. I purchased 3 of Trey's (VR3) beautiful aluminum binding post plate kits, but after I got them decided I wanted to do something slightly different. Instead of stacking I wanted a more modular design and decided to mount two panels horizontally on the rods, the top panel would have the tweeter/mid circuits on it and the bottom panel would have the woofer circuits. I wanted to be able to slide each panel onto the rods, so I purchased custom cut unclad FR4 black boards (PCB) to which I attached square hollow aluminum tubing with 3M VHB tape. I needed a slightly longer length than the rods that came with the kit and I wanted to use stainless steel, so new rods were purchased. At the rear end I used one of the Delrin plates that came with the kit. I mounted a Molex type connector block to it and the mating connector to the internal wires. This makes it a breeze to remove the crossovers if needed. Of course, I stuffed the boards with Sonicaps and Mills. All point to point wiring with panels installed to cover the wiring. I used stainless steel socket head bolts and Hurricane nuts to attach the new crossover plates to the cabinet for a complete custom look.

RTiA7-1.JPG

The new RTiA7 crossovers

RTiA7 original.JPG

The original RTiA7 crossovers minus the inductors

RTiA7-5.JPG

Rear view

RTiA6-1.JPG

The new RTiA6 crossover

RTiA6-2.JPG

View of the other side

They are still burining in, but right away I noticed that the soundstage width increased dramatically, the slightly edgy treble is now much smoother and there is more weight to the mids.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

Post edited by KennethSwauger on

Comments

• B RunB Run Posts: 1,896
    edited April 2014
    Wow you did an awesome job, those look great!
    Living Room: Polk Lsim705’s, Lsim 704c, SVS SB12-NSD, Yamaha Rxa-2030, Denon DBT1713, Doug's Furutech SC's, Pepster PC's, Vizio 75" 4K M Series, Airport Express

Bedroom: 70" Vizio, Pioneer Vsx530, Boston Acoustics CR7’s

Theater Room: BenQ HT2050a, Stewart Firehawk 110", Pioneer Elite SC63, Lsim703’s, LSiM706c, Lsim 702f/x, SVS SB12-NSD, Xbox One
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,620
    edited April 2014
    RTiA7-8.JPG

Forgot one, with the cover panels installed

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• B RunB Run Posts: 1,896
    edited April 2014
    I don't know anything about rebuilding crossovers nor mean any offense to Trey's design but that seems like a simpler and cleaner design as long as the caps aren't much larger.
    Living Room: Polk Lsim705’s, Lsim 704c, SVS SB12-NSD, Yamaha Rxa-2030, Denon DBT1713, Doug's Furutech SC's, Pepster PC's, Vizio 75" 4K M Series, Airport Express

Bedroom: 70" Vizio, Pioneer Vsx530, Boston Acoustics CR7’s

Theater Room: BenQ HT2050a, Stewart Firehawk 110", Pioneer Elite SC63, Lsim703’s, LSiM706c, Lsim 702f/x, SVS SB12-NSD, Xbox One
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,914
    edited April 2014
    Nice work Jesse, gives me some inspiration when the times I want to do crossover upgrades to my RTiA family. Been practicing soldering using an iron lately instead of my work um butane torch.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    edited April 2014
    that seems like a simpler

It was actually very labor intensive. I had to cut the SS all thread to length, rethread the cut ends and smooth out the burrs. The tubing walls are extremely thin, so I had to rough cut them with a Dremel cut off wheel, then hand file to length. The lay out took a while to get it just right, then figuring out where to drill the holes took a while as well. I was able to use the first A7 board as a template for the second, so that went faster. I used pin/socket connectors for the wires, but had to cut them shorter, a real PITA. Then soldering them to the pins of the Molex without melting the Delrin was yet another challenge. There's a lot more, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Thanks for the compliment.

• headrottheadrott Posts: 5,247
    edited April 2014
    Very nice job Jesse! Seems like a "less crowded" design. Congratulations and enjoy the improved sound.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,019
    edited April 2014
    Very nice Jesse! Enjoy them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Now Carrying Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 6,161
    edited April 2014
    Nice job looks like all your hard work paid off. How many hours did you have to put into the project?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,404
    edited April 2014
    Beautiful work!
    "And the house you live in will never fall down
    If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate" G.Lightfoot
  • drumminmandrumminman Posts: 3,350
    edited April 2014
    Nice work Jesse!

Fyi, I've cut aluminum similar to the square hollow spacers with my compound miter saw using a carbide tip blade - fast and neat.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • monepolkmonepolk Posts: 820
    edited April 2014
    Nice work!
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 15,608
    edited April 2014
    Too bad they are stuffed inside the speaker.

I would almost want them fully external with a see-through plexi cover to show off my work.

Its kinda like a hot rodded car..... you gotta be able to just pop the hood to show off the goodies easy :smile:.

If I ever get my LSi's modded, I would love for the new crossovers to look like that. Work of beauty Jesse!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 9,835
    edited April 2014
    I've tried to come up with some off the wall remark, but instead I find myself in agreement with all here

awesome job
  • TNHNDYMANTNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,153
    edited April 2014
    Beautiful work Jesse. Looking forward to your listening impressions of the improvement after they break in for awhile.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• FaceFace Posts: 14,714
    edited April 2014
    Great job Jesse!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • polk500polk500 Posts: 1,180
    edited April 2014
    Awesome skills enjoy the improved sound.

Cheers
    Roger
  • OldfatdogsOldfatdogs Posts: 1,885
    edited April 2014
    Very clean job Jesse,but I thought you were woodworker.:razz:
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,669
    edited April 2014
    Good job!!!
  • ZentishZentish Posts: 127
    edited April 2014
    Drop Dead Sexy!
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-NR929 7.1 AVR 130wpc
    Mains: 2x Polk RTA 8TL's
    Center: Polk CS245i
    Surrounds: 2x Klipsch RS-41ii (because they fit perfectly over the door and window)
    Rear Surr: 2x Polk M4a '90
    Subwoofer: Speakerlab DAS-SW dual-voice-coil 10" '88 30Hz-150Hz
    Subwoofer Amp: ONKYO A-8019 AMP '85 100wpc
    Display: Samsung 55" UNC55-8000 3D LED
    Console: Xbox360
    DVR: custom MythTV rig w/ 3 tuners OTA
    Zone2: 2x Polk M5b '87
  • eclypseeclypse Posts: 589
    edited April 2014
    Very awesome job man!! Yeah i agree, i would want to still see them inside the speaker.

How about photo of them framed on the wall behind and above the speakers? Haha.. that would do it! ;)

Would love to one day do mods formu lsim when i get bored.. maybe 5-10 years from now.. new 14 year old house has be busy! haha.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • Inspector 24Inspector 24 Posts: 1,060
    edited April 2014
    Definitely deserve an external mount.
    They are still burining in, but right away I noticed that the soundstage width increased dramatically, the slightly edgy treble is now much smoother and there is more weight to the mids.

This is awesome to hear. Some time I want to upgrade my A9's, I'd love to smooth out the treble even more than the Parasound did.
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000
  • eclypseeclypse Posts: 589
    edited April 2014
    Im sure everyone would like to know how much and how long did this job take?? Ok atleast how much more then the parts from the mod master himself?
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
    edited April 2014
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Cost, you can price the caps and resistors at Sonic Craft. The binding post plates you can price at VR3mods. I would guess all the rest was about $150.00. Time, about 2 days (16 hours) for everything.

• BKphotoBKphoto Posts: 406
    edited April 2014
    wow, clean, impressive...
    B&K ST2140 - NAD 1020 - Project Debut Carbon-
    Speed Box S - CA Azure 551P-
    Infinity RS IIIa - Blue Jeans IC's
  • gcegce Posts: 2,135
    edited April 2014
    Wow very nice! Maybe I should of had you do mine instead of Tray...j/k :razz: Tray did a great job and the sound is so much better.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 21,941
    edited April 2014
    Looks great Jesse!

Excellent take on the stack design that I had never really thought about. :)
    Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 15,608
    edited April 2014
    VR3 wrote: »
    Looks great Jesse!

Excellent take on the stack design that I had never really thought about. :)

Do I sense a new "version" of the mods coming :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 21,941
    edited April 2014
    Jesse had called me a few days ago when he completed these and as I was telling him -

I can do my Fortress design in about 3-4 hours now from start to finish. This design being based around the tubing to have the substrate attached to slows it down tremendously due to how you have to cut it.

I have changed a lot of what I do and take in modification wise.

I love to see stuff like this though! :)
    Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • halo71halo71 Posts: 4,382
    edited April 2014
    Wow! Those look very very nice.
    --Gary--
  • zane77zane77 Posts: 1,711
    edited April 2014
    Very nice and clean job Jesse
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV